Short and sweet, managed to get around latency issues before by using an M-Audio USB audio card thing, which was practically lag-free. However I recently bought a Mustang III, which can record via USB. This'd simplify things incredibly, so if I can work it I'd love to. However I'm getting latency with it, as the audio signal has to travel through the computer and all that. This makes recording nearly impossible.

Is there anything I can do to fix this in Garageband?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Most good units have a real time monitoring system. You actually listen to the input signal while you're recording.
Quote by Fingerboy18
Most good units have a real time monitoring system. You actually listen to the input signal while you're recording.

The only things in the signal though are the guitar, the amp, the USB cable, which is proprietary, so I hope it's not the problem, and the computer, which is a MacBook Pro, so I wouldn't think it'd be the soundcard?

I'll give it a shot again later, maybe it was just me being paranoid. Anyone else with a Mustang though have this?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
So you don't hear yourself while playing (or hear yourself delayed) or the record itself is delayed when trying to mix it with other (earlier recorded) lines?
A low-tech way to get around it is to play a MONO mix of your reference track through one of the channels and record that to a track in garbage band.

Sync the reference track and your actual performance manually by zooming in and matching up the waveforms with the other tracks in GB.

Sounds confusing, but it works.

Actually I prefer to work this way because I am forced to sync everything I record perfectly with the rest of the music. It comes out tighter than I can actually play/sing/drum (whatever.)

Kind of cheating, but not really.

Anytime you're using shit equipment and software (yes Macbooks are shit, I am typing this message on one) you need to get a little creative anyway.

Everyone seems to be using cheesy consumer-grade crap to record with and they want an easy answer to how to make it sound like the $3 million studio their favorite record was recorded at.

Easy answer: pay for studio time in a $3 million studio!
Hard answer: invest the time to learn what the heck you're doing and find creative solutions to the multitude of problems cheesy-ass equipment present you with.

...for the record some classic records have been recorded on shit: Abbey Road!!!

A four-track. Seriously. The piece of crap four-track at Guitar Center (do they still sell those pieces of crap?!)

Paul would bounce the mix to stereo, feed it back into the four-track and multitrack that way.

THAT is the art of recording, my friends. Or you can do it the easy way and hit the lottery or something. Bust into a studio at night and get done before the cops come...
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Well here's a stab at some real help...

When you plug in your amp via USB, it becomes the soundcard (at least on the input side). It's not a problem with the computers card, but it could be a driver issue. Make sure you have all the proper drivers installed. Also, in GarageBand go to preferences - Audio/MIDI and select the minimum delay option. You could also check around the fender website and in the forums to see what other people have done who had the same issue. You're more likely to find other users of that specific amp there than here.
You have to monitor your signal before the interface. You WILL get latency no matter what interface you have. It may be less with some interfaces, but there will be some.

Although, there is even a delay in your cable.. we won't get into transmission line theory because you can't even perceive it.

The reason you are getting a delay is because your CPU splits it's clock to attend to all the processes running on your computer. Your USB bus is being clocked at a certain frequency at which the CPU can fetch the data from the interface. The timing can't be avoided in a computer. You need to capture the signal before it gets processed via your computer.

The process: The processor sees that your USB bus requires data capture when you plug your device in. The signal from the interface is sampled at a rate determined by your processor and it's available clock timing. The data is temporarily stored in your CPU's cache and in RAM. After the signal has been manipulated via the program you're running, the data is synchronously routed to your soundcard's bus at a given rate at which a DAC(digital to analog converter) samples your digital signal into an analog signal. Finally, that is what you actually hear through your headphones.

Once again, the best resolution is to avoid this whole process and splice the signal before it passed through the USB bus.
I just installed Guitar Rig 3 on my PC and it had some latency. Turns out I just had to turn it down from 50 ms to 2 ms in the settings. That might be it?
Quote by fenderfrenzy101
I just installed Guitar Rig 3 on my PC and it had some latency. Turns out I just had to turn it down from 50 ms to 2 ms in the settings. That might be it?

Yeah it's just reducing the quality of the monitoring signal. If you can manage with the clicks and pops, it'll be fine.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Well, if you had a friken PC, I would say get the ASIO driver, but since you use a Mac, I have no idea....I wonder if ASIO can be used with Mac?

GarageBand (to my knowledge) uses CoreAudio, like Logic Pro, so that isn't the issue. If anything I'd say the issue is most likely the Mustang - pretty sure using it to record directly was an afterthought they threw on there to try and make it more original/less-unoriginal. Remember the G-DEC? Similar kind of concept - bring out an amp that does nothing groundbreaking and then try and make it groundbreaking by throwing in stuff computers do well.

Anyway, I kinda got sidetracked - I'd imagine there is nothing you can do, TS, but try and see if anyone's reported similar problems on the Fender forums, or contact Fender and see if that is the problem. Alternatively, try recording on someone elses system with the Mustang and see if it still suffers such latency issues.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.