Page 1 of 3
I love my current amp and tone with my Peavey 6505+ and Mesa 2x12 rectifer cab...I also use an OD 808 for overdrive and verbzilla for reverb...

But my friend is apparently selling the Metalmuff distortion pedal for 50 dollars which I think is a good deal....would it be worth buying even tho the peavey does a good job at distortion just for more options? I love really heavy music as well.

Thanks!
No,

Its not worth it, naff pedal anyway.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
No,

Its not worth it, naff pedal anyway.

I actually got him to agree to 40 dollars cuz I did not realize it was only 90 dollars new...still not worth it?

thanks
I reckon figure out what you want the pedal for... if you dont have a purpose for it, dont get it... but maybe borrow it to see if you would like to buy it after trying it out and experimenting...
---
40 dollars is a pretty good deal, but that doesn't change the fact that you don't need it. Your 6505 is going to have a much better variety of tones than that pedal. Save your cash.
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
I like it actually for scooped stuff - my amp just cannot get that tone, so for me it defiently has it's place, but If your amp can do scooped well (and I think it can although I've never used one) then I'd give it a miss.

I also wouldn't base you opinion on Tom 1.0 either - he may think it is nah, but the overwhelming consensus here is hugely positive.
Last edited by ragingben at Jul 7, 2011,
Quote by ragingben
I like it actually for scooped stuff - my amp just cannot get that tone, so for me it defiently has it's place, but If your amp can do scooped well (and I think it can although I've never used one) then I'd give it a miss.

I also wouldn't base you opinion on Tom 1.0 either - he may thing it is nah, but the overwhelming consensus here is hugely positive.

I play the pedal with the bass at 5, mids at 4 and treble at 11. At this setting I get a Vintage malmsteen tone (even better than his signature pedal), the real deal is when you turn on the top boost. By toggeleing the top boost control, you get sounds from Metallica, to Pantera even to Slipknot if that's your thing.

I use a Ibanez RG370DX with a floyd and EMGs. I stil only have a practice amp tho, but not to worry! The Metal Muff gives me a tone that could cost several thousand in amplefiers.

I run this through Vox VT15 valvetronix into BC Rich Exotic Warlock (with 1 Rockfield fat ass p.u. In the bridge possition). The noise is quite low, the amp has got noise reduction so I don't see any problem. It's raising a little with adding more gain. Also through headphones, the noise is a little bit higher. But when you don't use the headphones the sound is awesome!

Nothing plastic (just the knobs), the hole construction is made from steal.

I run a B\.C\. Rich NT Jr. V (bridge pickup has been switched to a Seymour Duncan Blackout) into this pedal and then straight into the clean channel of a Marshall MG15DFX.

Here's the deal: this is a god among distortion boxes. I should expand, but really the review could end there. Getting a good sound out of this is easy: just turn it on!

I am currently using an ESP LTD H-1000 Deluxe on it with Duncan's JB and 59' pickups. I use a spider II 212

I'm using it with an Ibanez GRX40 Electric Guitar and with a Marshall MG15FX amp. It not noisy at all. I put all the knobs on high and it doesn't hum or nothing

Because those guys know tone!

Using UG reviews is a bit of a poor source really, who is going to say negative things about a new pedal?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1369366

Even I liked it for all of two days...

Having owned a 6505 and a metal muff at various times, I think I am allowed to say its naff

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
I think I am allowed to say its naff

Didn't say you couln't mate, just saying that the op shouldn't base his entire opinion on a pedal on your post.

Some good quotes there, but let's not get into the whole dissing other peoples tone spiral, tone is so subjective that it is childish to pick at others peoples tastes. The early hardcore bands use a buzz saw trebbly tone that a lot of guitarists would hate, but for them it is the right tone for the job.

Please explain why UG reviews are a poor source - they are unbiased and written by a variety of users with a huge range of gear and playing styles, which in all terms would make it an excellent source.
Quote by ragingben
Please explain why UG reviews are a poor source - they are unbiased and written by a variety of users with a huge range of gear and playing styles, which in all terms would make it an excellent source.

Because a vast majority of them (especially those related to distortion pedals) are written by beginners who've just got the pedal. Everyone thinks their new distortion pedal is amazing when they're a beginner, I used to think my first amp was amazing, now that I'm more experienced I've realised how truly awful it is.

Honestly, if you're used to using a 6505, a Metal Muff is going to leave you disappointed.
Quote by Tom 1.0
Because those guys know tone!

Using UG reviews is a bit of a poor source really, who is going to say negative things about a new pedal?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1369366

Even I liked it for all of two days...

Having owned a 6505 and a metal muff at various times, I think I am allowed to say its naff

so of course we have to assume that you know what good tone is for everybody right?(oh and you think slipnot is good so now we know your serious ) you of course can have an opinion however it is hardly definitive. i have a Metal Muff and found it to be quit good. i've been playing for over 30 years and have owned more distortion pedals over the years than i'd care to admit. would i use one with a 6505+ no, that is overkill and would result in mush for tone. do i know tone? (check my profile for some of my recorded stuff) i dunno since it's totally subjective there is no answer.
Last edited by monwobobbo at Jul 7, 2011,
Quote by monwobobbo
so of course we have to assume that you know what good tone is for everybody right?(oh and you think slipnot is good so now we know your serious ) you of course can have an opinion however it is hardly definitive. i have a Metal Muff and found it to be quit good. i've been playing for over 30 years and have owned more distortion pedals over the years than i'd care to admit. would i use one with a 6505+ no, that is overkill and would result in mush for tone. do i know tone? (check my profile for some of my recorded stuff) i dunno since it's totally subjective there is no answer.

So basically, you went on an incoherent rant about nothing.
I never said it was definitive

Just that I don't think UG reviews are any better.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
I never said it was definitive

Just that I don't think UG reviews are any better.

+1
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by coolstoryangus
Did you actually READ the quotes Tom posted?
hahaha!

Yeah I did - he took the time to post them so I took the time to read them. Still, pedal made these guys happy.

Quote by littlephil
Because a vast majority of them (especially those related to distortion pedals) are written by beginners who've just got the pedal.

Doesn't make their opinions of tone any less valid. Sure, they may be less experienced in terms of quality equiptment, but if they are digging the tone then get on! There's a lot of 'gurus' on UG that think $$$ = good tone (not referring to anyone inparticular but you certainly see it time and time again), which simply is not always the case. I personally don't think that you need to even be a musician to be able to hear good tone.

Quote by littlephil
Honestly, if you're used to using a 6505, a Metal Muff is going to leave you disappointed.

That I can agree with.

Geez, way to go on the defensive people. The MM will not compare to the best metal amps in the same way a VW will not compare to a Ferrari. Yet the VW is still a solidly build, reliable and all round good bit of kit.
Quote by ragingben
There's a lot of 'gurus' on UG that think $$$ = good tone (not referring to anyone inparticular but you certainly see it time and time again), which simply is not always the case.

Think you may need to get your head out of your arse mate because this isnt true for the majority of the regulars. Even the people that can afford expensive gear.. The hatred for solid state crap is more because you can always pick up better stuff for the same price used generally with tubes in it..
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Jul 7, 2011,
Quote by ragingben

Doesn't make their opinions of tone any less valid. Sure, they may be less experienced in terms of quality equiptment, but if they are digging the tone then get on! There's a lot of 'gurus' on UG that think $$$ = good tone (not referring to anyone inparticular but you certainly see it time and time again), which simply is not always the case. I personally don't think that you need to even be a musician to be able to hear good tone.

It does make it less valid. Ear for good tone is something you develop, not something you have from the start. Believe me, there are alot of nuance differences that a beginner would never notice, but once you do notice it, it's so obvious you can't UN-hear it.
And besides that, expensive stuff WILL give you good tone (Give me 1 expensive amp that has terrible tone? Come on? I'm waiting...).But I agree that it's a big lie to tell that cheap stuff WONT give you good tone.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by coolstoryangus
Think you may need to get your head out of your arse mate because this isnt true for the majority of the regulars. Even the people that can afford expensive gear.. The hatred for solid state crap is more because you can always pick up better stuff for the same price used generally with tubes in it..

- quality response, hang on a sec... fffllluummmmpppp thats better, head is firmly removed now!

Yep, I would defiently agree going used valve rather than new solid state 100%, what's that got to do with anything? For some applications a distortion form a pedal such as the metal muff may be desirable over tube amps, for example at low volume bedroom use I get a much more satisfactory distortion from the MM than from my amps OD channel. Anyway, this thread is digressing from the original point, mainly due to my intervention - sorry OP - best advice I can give is try your rig with the MM and make up your own mind. It may not be bad to have in your arsenal.
Quote by LP_CL
And besides that, expensive stuff WILL give you good tone (Give me 1 expensive amp that has terrible tone? Come on? I'm waiting...)

I wasn't implying that expensive gear has bad tone, re-reading I can see why it appeared that way, but a more accurate way of putting it is cheap gear doesn't equal bad tone.

Quote by LP_CL
Ear for good tone is something you develop, not something you have from the start.

Agreed, but that doesn't mean that you start clueless. My granny would consider that Santana has great tone, and trust me she has never played an electric guitar...
I liked my MM. If you have the money, get it. If it sounds bad then set it back or try modding it or something.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
There really shouldnt be any arguement in this thread to have a metal muff to use with 6505 its basically wasting money since the 6505s distortion sound will be better.

Ironically dirt pedals often work quite well on high gain amps clean channels often better then the cleanest of the clean amps.. I've found that with my ultra plus but ya i dont use metal pedals into it..
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Jul 7, 2011,
Quote by coolstoryangus
There really shouldnt be any arguement in this thread to have a metal muff to use with 6505 its basically wasting money since the 6505s distortion sound will be better.

Dude, in my first post I put:

"I like it actually for scooped stuff - my amp just cannot get that tone, so for me it defiently has it's place, but If your amp can do scooped well (and I think it can although I've never used one) then I'd give it a miss."

What did the quote of me have to do with your reply?!
Quote by coolstoryangus
So basically, you went on an incoherent rant about nothing.

no, i just pointed out that Tom is no more the final word on tone than the quality or lack thereof of the Metal Muff. i agree with what he was saying in principle just didn't like the presentation. to say a n00b doesn't know good tone is incorrect they often do, as to how to get it that is another story. i also kinda get a chuckle out of what amounts to a "those damn kids don't know what thy are talking about" response form a guy who is only 21 (granted that is often older than a good percentage of posters here). keep in mind that at 50 i have a way different perspective than many that post here. sometimes you just have to keep those young whipper snappers in line
Quote by monwobobbo
to say a n00b doesn't know good tone is incorrect they often do, as to how to get it that is another story.

Their opinion is only valid for someone with lesser experience than they have.

The point is that due to a lack of exposure, reviews by young'uns on UG's reviews tend to be overhyped and rather pointless. I mean, show me a review that doesn't rate at least 8 for everything.

I think its quite a fallacy to put much stock into any of UG's reviews really. Most tend to be expounding the perceived benefits of the product in question, and outright ignoring the problems and downside of the gear.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Same goes for any reviewer of any age/experience. Most people review stuff to try and convince themselves that they haven't wasted money! I think most of us are guilty of this too
Quote by ragingkitty
Their opinion is only valid for someone with lesser experience than they have.

The point is that due to a lack of exposure, reviews by young'uns on UG's reviews tend to be overhyped and rather pointless. I mean, show me a review that doesn't rate at least 8 for everything.

I think its quite a fallacy to put much stock into any of UG's reviews really. Most tend to be expounding the perceived benefits of the product in question, and outright ignoring the problems and downside of the gear.

there seems to be a misunderstanding about knowing good tone. if you read what i said you'll see the difference. most players even new ones know that "fill in guitar hero here" has what is considered great tone. when i started to play back in the late 70s i knew that jimmy page, jimi hendrix and ritchie blackmore had the sound i wanted and it appealed to me as well as others. now a days it may be slash or zakk wylde etc. the problem is that it takes time to figure out how to sound like that or more importantly how to get a sound that is you. believe me i know that most UG reviews are fairly worthless and can't say i even bother to read them. as for the downside of gear honestly it's all in how you use it. what you may consider a "downside" may be the element that makes it perfect for someone else. a fair ? would be at what point do i start taking anyones review seriously? i've met plenty of guys over the years that had been playing for a number of years but still didn't know shit. by the same token even here i've come across young guys that do know their gear and are better players than i am. it's all about opinions on a board like this. as to who's opinion counts well that's up to you.
Quote by ragingben

Ah, I stand corrected, but then again, it is a Berhinger.

Quote by coolstoryangus
Same goes for any reviewer of any age/experience. Most people review stuff to try and convince themselves that they haven't wasted money! I think most of us are guilty of this too

Which is why I think the whole idea of giving ratings is very misleading. If I could I would go back and amend my ratings of the Krank Rev Jr Pro.

When most people do reviews, its usually on the back of a recent purchase, so there's still the whole excitement of a new toy biasing the review process.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by monwobobbo
now a days it may be slash or zakk wylde etc. the problem is that it takes time to figure out how to sound like that or more importantly how to get a sound that is you.

Woah I'm not gonna answer that because it ends in an opinion... and no one can measure.

Also please use paragraphs.

I don't agree with your comment that newbies (well at least the ones into metal) know good tone. They probably know that a song sounds good in general and a song sounding good is a sum of its parts including the drums, bass, singer, post production etc etc. A song sounding good is significantly different from good tone.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by forsaknazrael
What happens if I told you, that from looking at the schematics, the Metal Muff isn't that different from a Boss Metal Zone....

Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jul 7, 2011,
Quote by forsaknazrael
yarly

No wai

Anyway... I'm not big into the whole electronics portion of... but I felt that the MM sounded heavily fuzzy... while the MT2 was just buzzy.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by forsaknazrael
yeah, they open it up a bit and change the way the circuit filters mids, but they're pretty similar, from my understanding.

btw, your orly owl doesn't show up, I'm just a ninja.

Dang, changed the owl.

Hmmm, after all the claims to innovation that Mike Matthews makes, I'd have thought that ripping off a pedal would be something he'd avoid. Or at least rip off a better pedal.

Dunno, I always thought the MM to be a mediocre pedal... like a JCM800 farting, flubbing and fuzzing out.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
I can't understand why everybody says to always go for an used tube amp and not for a new solid state amp.

I had the cash for a new tube head and took my ISP Theta anyway since this amp delivers the tone I was looking for, even if it's solid state.
Page 1 of 3