I know this is probably a really dumb question, but I just don't seem to know how to tell if I'm picking a string right when my fingers fret it.... There just always seems to be excess noise and different chunky sounds... Any help will be appreciated I just don't get what to do.
Ummm... That's a really vague description. Maybe you need to fret harder. I can't really tell what you mean.
All you need is yo' fingers and the strings
Okay let me explain it this way. Pick a string that is already vibrating. That's kinda what this sound is right before any note that I play. Get it? It's always right before the note, and it makes my playing sound like pure shit. I've been trying to get my hands in sync here recently, and I can't tell if they are or not because of that noise. It seems to always be there.
Well I guess you'd tell if you weren't picking at the same time as you fret by the fact that'd you'd hear two notes if you hammer then pick it. To me it just sounds like you need to fret harder and/or learn to synchronize your fingers with your picking.
Quote by elvor0
Well I guess you'd tell if you weren't picking at the same time as you fret by the fact that'd you'd hear two notes if you hammer then pick it. To me it just sounds like you need to fret harder and/or learn to synchronize your fingers with your picking.

This is probably it.
All you need is yo' fingers and the strings
Quote by Danielghero
I know this is probably a really dumb question, but I just don't seem to know how to tell if I'm picking a string right when my fingers fret it.... There just always seems to be excess noise and different chunky sounds... Any help will be appreciated I just don't get what to do.

Really when people say "fret a string right as you pick it" they don't mean exactly that, what they're getting at is really minimising the time between the note being fretted and the note being picked so that when you get to higher speeds there's no wasted time or energy.

To be honest (warning: anecdotal evidence) I've never specifically worked on doing exactly that anyway and I think my hands are quite synchronised; I'm not 100% convinced you need to really focus in on that aspect of it as long as the rest of your technique (relaxation, economy of motion and so on) are good.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Danielghero
Okay, I get what your saying, but how can I sync my hands with my picking?

Same way as everything else. Do it slowly.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
alright. will do. but what about that noise I was describing? I still can't figure that out. Plus it makes my playing sound like total shit...