Hi,
My question is for example I play over C-F-G progression and I want to use the minor pentatonic scale, do I play C minor pentatonic over the whole track or do I go from C minor pentatonic to F minor pentatonic to G minor pentatonic?
wouldn't it be best just to play the minor scale in A since its the relative minor to C major

Of course their is no real right way to do it just use what sounds best to you
Last edited by killerkev321 at Jul 6, 2011,
it would be easier to use C major pentatonic
as its the same as A minor pent

or you could do the C pent F pent G pent or any number of scales depending on which sound you want but for your uses Aminor/Cmajor pent would work
I would not do minor pentatonics following the root. Unless all of the chords are minor. As killerkev321 said, A minor is the best way. or do the relative minor to each chord if you really want, not the minor of the root.
Quote by killerkev321
wouldn't it be best just to play the minor scale in A since its the relative minor to C major

Of course their is no real right way to do it just use what sounds best to you

Actually there is a real right way to do it, and it's not "playing the relative minor".

Behold the power of theory!

Chord Progression: C - F - G

Key: C major

Scale to use: C major w/accidentals.

Question: Can I use a minor pentatonic over this progression?

Answer: Yes, you can. You can use C minor pentatonic over this progression, and it will function as C major with accidentals.

Bonus Tip: If you played the notes of A minor over this progression, it would function simply as C major (no accidentals).
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by HomeRecording
I would not do minor pentatonics following the root. Unless all of the chords are minor. As killerkev321 said, A minor is the best way. or do the relative minor to each chord if you really want, not the minor of the root.

yes. however, you're not playing A minor at all if you do this. you're just playing C major.

look at alan's post for the right answer.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by pasnu
Hi,
My question is for example I play over C-F-G progression and I want to use the minor pentatonic scale, do I play C minor pentatonic over the whole track or do I go from C minor pentatonic to F minor pentatonic to G minor pentatonic?

Hey, it depends what you want to accomplish. I can suggest you the following:

1) If you want to sound bluesy, play C minor pentatonic over C, F ang G chords

2) If you want to be more classical, play C Major or A Minor scale
(two different scales but with same tones, so the filling is the same)

3) You can use C, F and G minor pentatonics
(I don't like this method)

4) If you want to sound jazzy, please use C, F and G mixolidian scales.
it's easy, you can think like you are playing (D minor scale over C chord, G minor over F chord and A minor scale over G chord)

You can play with it, but if you start to mix all the scales in one solo, you will probably sound very bad and boring.