Hi all.

I am looking for a good amp for some brutal metal distortion.
I usually play some thrash, some doom stuff and also I'd like to be able to get some kind
of semi-Gilbert sound.
But since most good valve amps are out of my price range, I was thinking about getting
something like Marshall avt20 and adding a Metal Muff to it.

So what do you think?
Will be clean channel on avt20 + Metal Muff be good enough?

Edit: I forgot to say my current gear:
Guitar: IBanez RG4570z
Effect: Boss GT-10
Amp: Some real bad cheap laney amp.
Last edited by hoomy at Jul 6, 2011,
Budget?
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
IMO the metal muff is terrible.

look into either a wampler triple wreck or something a little better that the metal muff. used i don't think it costs more.

as far as the AVT's i am not a fan at all you can do better.

ifyou are looking for something check out a vypyr tube amps, shouldn't be much mroe expesive than you are looking at, but is justi thought. those vypyrs suprisingly deliver for a budget modeling amp.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
im not an expert but from experience marshalls are good, and if you are putting in a pedal, you can put it on clean and its fine! the best i seen was the Marshall MG102FX. one thing i will say is not to go for a line 6, as they are bad with pedals and they sound very digital
Quote by leigh596
im not an expert but from experience marshalls are good, and if you are putting in a pedal, you can put it on clean and its fine! the best i seen was the Marshall MG102FX. one thing i will say is not to go for a line 6, as they are bad with pedals and they sound very digital

from what i have played and hear demos of and hear clips on here, marshall is going downhill.

the AVT/Valestate are just glorified MG's with a tube thrown in there.

maybe look into a Jet City?

i had a jca 50 for a few weeks and it was a decent sounding amp, metal attainable by boost.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Thanks everyone.
I wonder if it is possible just to buy an amp with clean sounds and use GT10's distortion
with it?
Will it sound at least mediocre?
Quote by hoomy
Thanks everyone.
I wonder if it is possible just to buy an amp with clean sounds and use GT10's distortion
with it?
Will it sound at least mediocre?

That depends. The GT's amp modeling tend to be quite poor, thought their stompbox effects aren't too bad. However, all taken into consideration, running a model of a stompbox through the cleans of an amp (within your budget range) will sound average at best.

I'd advise you to try and save up for a better amp. In this case, it is better to get the amp that will do what you want very well, rather than get something and combine it with a MFX to do what you want averagely.

Honestly I'm a little arsed to check the prices, so some of the amps maybe slightly out of your budget range. Although if you go used, it might not be too far out.

Blackstar HT20
JCA 20
6505+ 112 combo
Krank Rev Jr Pro

Typically, the 6505+ 112 combo is the seminal go to amp for high gain, and will definitely fit very well into the sounds you are looking for.

The Krank is awesome for high gain work, it destroys many other amps in terms of balls out high gain capability, but falls short of the 6505+ as it has a tone that is love-or-hate. Although, if you get your mind around how to tweak it, its a very versatile high gainer.

The JCA is an awesome amp, but its rather more suited to the 80s tones... so you might need a boost or a high gain OD to get the brootz.

The Blackstar... is a rather awesome amp... but has gathered quite a bit of haters as its got some SS components in it.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jul 7, 2011,
Quote by leigh596

Don't get a Marshall MG. Or an AVT for that matter. Get a used proper valve amp, dude. You should definitely be able to pick up something decent for your budget. kitty's got a good list of amps that you should definitely check out.