i want to know if you can play for example the E minor pentatonic scale and the A minor pentatonic scale if the key of the song is in A

please help!
you mean if the key is Am, instead of using Am using Em? you can, but youd probably get made fun of
i cant think of any examples of where that might sound okay. but i could be wrong..

there are a lot of instances where you could choose say, Am or A for a single song, depending on the feel you want
Quote by sliggs
i want to know if you can play for example the E minor pentatonic scale and the A minor pentatonic scale if the key of the song is in A

please help!

1 - Theory doesn't stop you doing anything, it's not a set of rules and no one's going to hunt you down and lock you up if you don't use the exact tonic scale. Do what you want and use theory to explain it later, that's what it's for.

2 - Even in theory terms, using the Em pentatonic notes over an Am song is fine because all the notes from Em pentatonic are also in the A natural minor scale, and so is the Dm pentatonic. Really all you're doing there though is using the natural minor scale and not really the pentatonics they look like. What something looks like on the fretboard is basically immaterial and completely unimportant when it comes to theory and indeed playing.

Also if the song has an Em chord in it, the Em pentatonic will sound particularly strong over it, very harmonically stable relative to the chord.

I would suggest that you take some time to really dig into theory and learn it very thoroughly, it has explainations for just about every situation that comes up in normal playing (aside from those bluesy quarter-tone bends you hear all over the place).

Quote by xadioriderx
you mean if the key is Am, instead of using Am using Em? you can, but youd probably get made fun of

Only by idiots like you who think that theory or technique trump sound. The sound is what matters, not the theory.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
i dont know very much theory, all i know is what ive played, and ive played "wrong scales" over different keys and ive never heard it sound right.
im sorry if i had wrong info here, id like to here an example of this so i can learn more about it.
if its possible to do it i would like to know how! im not an idiot, just learning, and thought i had an answer. sorry.
why are people so freaking hostile on this site?
Quote by xadioriderx
i dont know very much theory, all i know is what ive played, and ive played "wrong scales" over different keys and ive never heard it sound right.
im sorry if i had wrong info here, id like to here an example of this so i can learn more about it.
if its possible to do it i would like to know how! im not an idiot, just learning, and thought i had an answer. sorry.
why are people so freaking hostile on this site?

I was at work and I don't like my job, sorry dude, entirely my bad. If you want to see how this works it's really simple: drone a low E, don't mute it, and play the A minor or B minor pentatonics over it. The notes don't sound wrong, it's just a different way of phrasing the natural minor of E. Same thing goes for Am with the D and E pentatonics: the A natural minor scale contains the notes of all three of those A, D and E pentatonics so if you use those shapes it doesn't sound wrong, it just phrases differently to how you normally might.

Really there's a lot more you can do with just the standard position 1 pentatonic box than a lot of people think, they just run the same blues licks and are happy with it without knowing what they can really do.

Quote by stevosmusic
I dont know about em but you could play f# m which is the relative minor to A

That would be... interesting since TS is talking about Am not A, most people wouldn't do something like that. Even if they did it's not really "playing the relative minor"; you're just looking at the same scale a different way.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
i will give this a try, im glad to learn new stuff! i definitely am in the habit of playing blues scales and calling it good... haha
i guess ill avoid answering posts about theory or music techniques

stuff like this motivates me to learn more about theory and try more things. and no worries, most people dont like their jobs... few of us are the exception =D