Dear guys~

I'm a Chinese guitar learner practiced 5 years intermittently.
My daily excercise is quite simple that I will spend 1 hour for chromatic scale 1234 with different orders (my English may confuse a little bit~), and pentatonic scale for another while. AFTERWARDS..................I found nothing else to practice!!!!!!!!! maybe some songs but I think I should put more time in basic techniques....

Could you guys please tell me what you will practice for your basic skills everyday?besides the songs....

Thank you so much~
Quote by tappooh
i hate that chromatic exercises. just learn a scale and then come up with your own exercises, or just go on youtube and search "alternate picking exercise" and you will find plenty

thank u budy, I will find some
Besides songs i do 20 min alternate picking, 20 min sweep picking and 20 min legato. then 35 min on 7 solo licks i´ve picked out for the week.
1 hour of chromatic exercise? Damn I wouldnt be able to bear that much boredom! You have been playing for 5 years and that's all you do still? GO jam with friends, pla along with a song, LEARN a new song! Don't just do the basic exercises! Even though they ARE important , what's more important is to develop a stronger love for music and your instrument and I don't think going up and down scales all day will make you any better. Do them for like 30 mins or even an hour like you said but make sure you put the same amount of time into enjoyment and actual songs!
Quote by Dig_a_Pony
1 hour of chromatic exercise? Damn I wouldnt be able to bear that much boredom! You have been playing for 5 years and that's all you do still? GO jam with friends, pla along with a song, LEARN a new song! Don't just do the basic exercises! Even though they ARE important , what's more important is to develop a stronger love for music and your instrument and I don't think going up and down scales all day will make you any better. Do them for like 30 mins or even an hour like you said but make sure you put the same amount of time into enjoyment and actual songs!

I totally agree with this those chromatic scales should only be used as a quick warm to go onto other things. Practice is exactly that - you practice what you have difficulty with. I would also put some time into what I call maintenance where after you have mastered something tricky it's good to practice it here and there so you don't lose it from long lack of use.
Quote by Dig_a_Pony

First of all, thank you man. I started to re-consider the way of practicing in the future. I had also discussed with my country mates, most of them are like me fond of chromatic....this is why I need you guys help to see if our unerstanding is having some problem....
Quote by Mjollnirswrath
He's Chinese. He enjoys robotic repetition.

maybe u right, my education makes me to accept boring things
Quote by Sickz
Besides songs i do 20 min alternate picking, 20 min sweep picking and 20 min legato. then 35 min on 7 solo licks i´ve picked out for the week.

thank u for ur advise
I'd like to quote Kenny ****in' Powers: "I'm not tryin' to be the best at exercisin'." Are you trying to play music? Or be the best at exercising?
Quote by raferalston
maybe u right, my education makes me to accept boring things

Haha I was kidding. But seriously, learn challenging songs that use techniques that you want to improve, which is more fun than just practicing that technique in isolation. Chromatics are important for speed building but I don't spend a lot of time on them. I usually practice scales and modes and improvisation and am always learning new songs. I try to write my own stuff. Something that has helped me I is writing difficult songs and tabbing them out in guitar pro then learning them slowly. This will make you want to practice them more and get them right since it's stuff YOU came up with.
Improvise, all the time. Makes your creativity a lot better, while creating new riffs and licks, and improving tecnique, ear, tempo.
What I do is practise some up-tempo licks by my favourite bands. That way I won't get bored much.

Here is my practise time-table though << roughly

Warm-Up (Chromatic/Scale runs) - 10 mins
Learn Songs- 1 Hour
Jam Out Some Songs- 2 Hours
Improvise- 30 mins
Random Shred- 1 hour
Work on technique- 1 hour
Jam Songs again- 2 hours

Thats pretty much it.
Last edited by MaddMann274 at Jul 8, 2011,
well, my warm up consists of six chromatic finger patterns like 1234, 1324, etc. a day, played at 40 bpm so I can actually get them right, and I use it for finger independence too. Then I play a couple of songs I know for fun, usually a Metallica song, and then I do some stuff. For example, now I'm trying to improve my legato, so I do some exercises on that, and then I do some picking, and finish off by jamming.

Edit: Even though I hate the songs, I also try and work out the vocal lines of some simple pop songs that I hear on the radio. Also, I make up a little lick in my head, and then try and play it on the guitar. Really helps improvising and ear training.
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
Last edited by lfcagger at Jul 8, 2011,
I'm kind of getting into playing along with instructional DVDs now. Netflix kind of sucked me in to that. I've picked up a few good things along the way like chord progressions and actually learning the notes on the guitar instead of just playing tab.