I'm not the GREATEST at this or the best for the job but I think I can write a catchy riff depending on the purpose. I'm not here to tell you I wrote heavy metal licks and solos like the pros or wrote a riff that is in my band or whatnot. I just feel like it would be fun to write a riff for someone and ACTUALLY make it good.

I feel like I could be challenged more and write better if my riff was needed for someones enjoyment not just mine.

So basically, post your song/chord progression here and tell me where you want the riff and how it should "feel". You can be as detailed as you like or as vague as you like. Just be sure to post your song/chords.

I will try my best to write a tasty riff for your song and you can tell me how you like it. Also, if anyone is interested, you guys can trade riffs among each other and have sort of a riff competition? I don't know. Anyways, post your requests here!

EDIT :

okay there are tons of replies and I'll try to go on a first come first served basis and I'll post the riffs on soundcloud. Bare in mind your request might take a while to be filled! But others may add in their own stuff too!

The soundcloud page is here : http://soundcloud.com/faul-mccartney

I've added a few riffs already and will be adding more of your guys riffs also!

IMPORTANT: If you are making your own riff for this thread please put it into my dropbox here :http://soundcloud.com/faul-mccartney then everyone can hear it too!
Last edited by Dig_a_Pony at Jul 7, 2011,
I'll be as vague as I can, pertaining to what you requested for.

A dance-ish intro, suitable for a rock song, including tapping, in standard.

For kicks.
It rules guitarists with an iron fist. It is their mistress, and it is their haunted soul....Kingdoms (of tone) rise and fall and bend to its will. It is the siren. It is the dryad. It is the beautiful cruelty. It is delay.
Quote by isaacmiranda7

For kicks.

ok just to be a bit less vague , how long do you want it? And is it the intro of the song or is it played continually throughout? I'll post the song up tomorrow if I get my speakers working and my mic!
hmm... something groovy, have a bit of thrash metal in it, and really catchy...
Quote by arsonite
I flash my ridiculously white teeth at you in contempt Sir!

Quote by son_of_bodom

OT: variety is the spice of life, my genitals don't discriminate on the basis of religion.
Quote by El_Lobo_1

lol welll like I said I'm no pro and I honestly don't know what thrash metal is! But what key would you like?
Quote by isaacmiranda7

For kicks.

and I can't tap for shi#t
Quote by El_Lobo_1

Quote by isaacmiranda7

For kicks.

I know that I'm not TS. I got a sudden strike of inspiration, and I hope you don't mind me joining in.

I call it clap-core and it's in my profile:
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/dogmax/music/all/play1020463
Last edited by dogmax at Jul 7, 2011,
Quote by Alkaline 64
I'm in a lazy mood.

Could you give me a riff like (not exactly like) the one that starts at around 2:30 here?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhMYu39U2B0

and if you play it at about 83 bps, that would be nice.

The chords are D - Gmaj7, both two bars each.

is it supposed to match the song or a whole different one?
Could you write me a chorus riff in an "emo" style?

I hate calling music by that genre, but I love the sound of Hawthorne Heights' "Saying Sorry", particularly the chorus.

Something catchy and heavy...yet beautiful.
Quote by Dig_a_Pony
is it supposed to match the song or a whole different one?

No, just in the same vain.
okay there are tons of replies and I'll try to go on a first come first served basis and I'll post the riffs on soundcloud. Bare in mind your request might take a while to be filled! But others may add in their own stuff too!

The soundcloud page is here : http://soundcloud.com/faul-mccartney

I've added a few riffs already and will be adding more of your guys riffs also!

IMPORTANT: If you are making your own riff for this thread please put it into my dropbox here :http://soundcloud.com/faul-mccartney then everyone can hear it too!
Quote by Alkaline 64
I'm in a lazy mood.

Could you give me a riff like (not exactly like) the one that starts at around 2:30 here?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhMYu39U2B0

and if you play it at about 83 bps, that would be nice.

The chords are D - Gmaj7, both two bars each.

okay well IDK but I'm crapped out of ideas now and stuff but IDK if t's what u wanted but I posted it on my soundcloud profile under the name of radiohead riff.
^ It's not, but I still like it man. I might end up using it later if I'm dry on ideas. Seems more Beatles than Radiohead but that's probably your style. Thanks anyway.
Quote by Alkaline 64
^ It's not, but I still like it man. I might end up using it later if I'm dry on ideas. Seems more Beatles than Radiohead but that's probably your style. Thanks anyway.

sorry dude I don't know any radiohead songs so I can't even emulate the style. I can try again later , the one I posted wasnt supposed to be the final one so we'll see! I'll listen to some radiohead tomorrow too...
Something that sounds like Tool? Kind of like Cold & Ugly or Jerk Off?
Current Gear:
Peavey Zodiac DE Scorpio (Bass)
Yamaha RBX-170 (Bass)
Boss ODB-3 (Overdrive Pedal)
Line 6 LowDown 150 (Amp)
Alright! Sorry for the late reply. Hmm... Then give me something that would be dancefloor-ish, almost electronica/techno, but can dive into metal :P HAHAHAHA! Yeah, for the intro and repeated some places throughout.
It rules guitarists with an iron fist. It is their mistress, and it is their haunted soul....Kingdoms (of tone) rise and fall and bend to its will. It is the siren. It is the dryad. It is the beautiful cruelty. It is delay.
Quote by Dig_a_Pony
......?

sorry I don't know any of those bands! But I could listen to them and try I guess. I'll see tomorrow.

The band is Tool.

Colg & Ugly and Jerk Off are two of their songs.
Current Gear:
Peavey Zodiac DE Scorpio (Bass)
Yamaha RBX-170 (Bass)
Boss ODB-3 (Overdrive Pedal)
Line 6 LowDown 150 (Amp)
a pop-punk riff, similar to the ones found in All Time Low, Blink 182, Fall Out Boy and Bowling For Soup. Pretty fast if possible, thanks

( I mean pretty fast as in the speed of the riff, not the speed of you uploading it ;P)
-Heavy metal
-Intro riff
-Heavy and catchy
-Key: E (Or A if you really feel for it :P )
-Metallica style
Last edited by Metal-pro at Aug 1, 2011,