So i received a used fender, and one fault i've found so far is the pickup selector switch is faulty. If its sitting in certain positions the guitar will produce no sound through the amp or sometimes even an unexplainable poopy sound. I can get it into a position to where it will work just fine, but if my hand taps it it will go back to such. also, there are times when if im not touching the guitar there will be quite a bit of feedback coming through the amp, but once i touch the strings, it goes quiet and normal. No matter what though, if it is in proper working order, if i touch one of the screws you were here tons of feedback coming through the amp. What would cause this, unless its related to the faulty switch? I would rather do this myself if possible rather than spend the extra money taking it to a shop.

My concerns at the moment are, if i bought a new pickup selector switch, it seems like replacing it myself would be pretty easy. Am I wrong? Second, is removing all of the string at once to do so and risking the neck to back-bow. Would this just easily be solved by adjusting the truss rod?
Well, yeah. resoldering a new pickup switch isn't very hard at all. just unsolder the connections, and resolder them to the new one the same way they were. Take a picture of them on the old one for reference before you do it. I think the buzz could either just be single coils being really noisy, but it sounds like your pickups aren't ground correctly in the wiring. I had the same problem with my guitar.

Removing the strings all at once should hurt the neck at all. The truss rod is not going to bow your neck, it's there to counter the string tension. It's a solid rod, but don't think of it as something that's going to try to bend the opposite way (I hope that made sense).
first off, dont touch the truss rod if you dont know what youre doing
second, taking all the strings off is not a problem. i have taken my strings on and off about 20 times in the last 8 days working on my current build. theyre made to be taken off and on. the only exception to it being easy is with a FR that may need blocking, but thats a different topic, not yours.

first thing to do - take the strings off, pull of the pick guard, look for any loose wires or anything obvious, take a few pictures, post them up here, let us know what you find.

replacing a switch isnt hard if you know how to solder. soldering isnt THAT hard if you read up and take your time.

first step is finding the actual problem. take it out and inspect. the feedback and touching the strings/poles and hearing it sounds like a hot wire crossed with a ground wire - like taking your cord out of the guitar and touching the end of it and getting the buzzing.

could be that one of the hot wires on the switch is close to a ground and making contact sometimes
You should be capable of replacing the switch, it is pretty easy and sounds like a necessity for the guitar.

I like to detune gradually, and then remove one string at a time when I need them all off to work under the pickguard. The guitar neck is a pretty tough piece o' wood, and while it's awesome to always treat it carefully it is made to withstand strings coming on and off.

As for the feedback/bad noise, here is a page that can help quiet your guitar.
http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/shield3.php
I like to cover the underside of the pickguard in aluminum foil so every screw and component is grounded.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
I try to take off the pickguard with the strings still on, but loose. Sometimes it works.
Having no access to any sort of soldering materials i may just need to take it in.
you may want to take it in if you don't have the soldering tools, but every guitar should have a soldering iron and the knowledge to use it. they aren't that expensive and they will save you lots of money over the years.

(a strat would be kinda tricky for a first guitar wiring project though)
no sir away a papaya war is on
Have you tried something simple first like cleaning the pick up selector switch quite often it is just a bit of dust or dirt that causes that issue. My very first guitar was a well used Gibson and I had that exact same problem and I used WD40 on the pick up selector (be very careful as it can do damage to a guitars finish) and gave it a few toggles and the problem went away.