I've heard a lot of his stuff recently.

He's an average songwriter, and all his songs sound the same.

However his stuff is harder than almost anything I've heard, and if he can play his music, I think he can play anything other guitarists can.

It's what you can play in my opinion that makes you the best guitarist, its the memorability of what you can write that makes you the best songwriter of all time.

Jimmy Page wrote the best riffs of all time, and solos, so he's the best songwriter guitarist of all time. As a guitarist, he is average.

Yngwie can play the hardest songs possible, and is the best guitarist of all time. As a songwriter, he is average.

Agree/disagree?
take it to the shred forum
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

mostly people tend to judge guitarists based on 3 things: technique, creativity and memorability.
It's all a matter of opinion, I think Jimmy Page is one of the most overrated guitarists of all times and that Malmsteen shits on him in terms of technique and creativity.
Quote by Portuguese_boy
It's all a matter of opinion, I think Jimmy Page is one of the most overrated guitarists of all times and that Malmsteen shits on him in terms of technique and creativity.

lolno
i agree on "its the memorability of what you can write that makes you the best songwriter of all time." ... and i add creativity to this

i disagree on "Yngwie can play the hardest songs possible, and is the best guitarist of all time"...im not sure Yngwie can play the hardest songs possible... for example Michael romeo has a better tapping technique....IMO what makes yngwie special is being him the first who did the fusion of classical music with fast shredding
Quote by Ironic Maiden
Lolno

John Petrucci writes better than him and plays better.

So does Thomas T Baron

Im a huge fan of petrucci and dream theater but he has nothing on malmsteen in terms of technique, malmsteen plays faster
Quote by Butt Rayge
\m/ nah man krik hamlet is teh best gitarest eva. \m/

yaeah metalica man

and this also
Quote by tiammetadeth
i agree on "its the memorability of what you can write that makes you the best songwriter of all time." ... and i add creativity to this

i disagree on "Yngwie can play the hardest songs possible, and is the best guitarist of all time"...im not sure Yngwie can play the hardest songs possible... for example Michael romeo has a better tapping technique....IMO what makes yngwie special is being him the first who did the fusion of classical music with fast shredding

tapping technique is the easiest thing, I learnt it before I could do chord shifts properly. I dont think you can compare. Yngwie picks every note
Quote by Privet Tovarish
Im a huge fan of petrucci and dream theater but he has nothing on malmsteen in terms of technique, malmsteen plays faster

nah man that wrong petrucki plays sooo mucgh fsater mansteem is to fat too keep up
Quote by Privet Tovarish
tapping technique is the easiest thing, I learnt it before I could do chord shifts properly. I dont think you can compare. Yngwie picks every note

i can do all the sweeps that malmsteen does, but i cant tap like michael romeo
Reported
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

Quote by Butt Rayge
nah man that wrong petrucki plays sooo mucgh fsater mansteem is to fat too keep up

he is now haha, but not in the 80's
Quote by tiammetadeth
i can do all the sweeps that malmsteen does, but i cant tap like michael romeo

finger tap? are you joking lol?
Quote by Privet Tovarish
finger tap? are you joking lol?

no im serious, i still cant do the tapping solo in "sea of lies"....
ill get it soon anyways
but my point here is that you cant say a guitarist has better techniques then another guitarist...u have to specify what technique you are talking about
Quote by tiammetadeth
no im serious, i still cant do the tapping solo in "sea of lies"....
ill get it soon anyways
but my point here is that you cant say a guitarist has better techniques then another guitarist...u have to specify what technique you are talking about

I just watched a video of him playing sea of lies. That is really good, but I've seen Malmsteen strum at that speed in some songs
Quote by Privet Tovarish
I just watched a video of him playing sea of lies. That is really good, but I've seen Malmsteen strum at that speed in some songs

while skipping chords?
Quote by tiammetadeth
while skipping chords?

no, but then again finger tapping makes the whole thing a lot easier. I know that song is harder than spanish fly, but I can play the tapping bit in that, and I cant even play the stairway to heaven solo properly, which is slow but strummed.
Quote by Privet Tovarish
no, but then again finger tapping makes the whole thing a lot easier. I know that song is harder than spanish fly, but I can play the tapping bit in that, and I cant even play the stairway to heaven solo properly, which is slow but strummed.

euuuh ok
Quote by tiammetadeth
euuuh ok

Ive been playing for 5 months, and I can assure you tapping is the easiest thing ever. I still cant even do barre chords, yet alone fast solos, yet tapping sections in songs like eruption and spanish fly.... easy. I know the song you showed is much harder, but it has NOTHING on malmsteens stuff
Quote by Privet Tovarish
Ive been playing for 5 months, and I can assure you tapping is the easiest thing ever. I still cant even do barre chords, yet alone fast solos, yet tapping sections in songs like eruption and spanish fly.... easy. I know the song you showed is much harder, but it has NOTHING on malmsteens stuff

keep playing guitar and you will agree with me later maybe 2 years from now
No, he's not. There a decent number of guys with comparable technique and pick at the same speed. Vai, Gilbert, Buckethead, Govan and an okay number of others. He is a fast player, but there are other people that destroy him in terms of the other parts of technique. There is more than alternate playing notes fast. Vibrato, legato, sweep picking, tapping, finger picking (and that has tons of sub divisions), chords and tonal control are all parts of guitar playing. He does not beat other guitarists on all of those.

Also, I'd just like to say that tapping is also not that easy. Eruption was the very beginning of tapping and there are songs that put it to shame in terms of the technique used. One string repeated tapping isn't that hard, but 8 finger tapping is ridiculously hard compared to that.

For instance, here's Chris Broderick playing an arpeggio exercise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkpZ645ztl0

It's a pretty simple example with an even rhythm and a repeated progression, but the technique takes a long time to master.
Last edited by Warrior47 at Jul 7, 2011,
Quote by Warrior47
No, he's not. There a decent number of guys with comparable technique and pick at the same speed. Vai, Gilbert, Buckethead and an okay number of others. He is a fast player, but there are other people that destroy him in terms of the other parts of technique. There is more than alternate playing notes fast. Vibrato, legato, sweep picking, tapping, finger picking (and that has tons of sub divisions), chords and tonal control are all parts of guitar playing. He does not beat other guitarists on all of those.

Also, I'd just like to say that tapping is also not that easy. Eruption was the very beginning of tapping and there are songs that put it to shame in terms of the technique used. One string repeated tapping isn't that hard, but 8 finger tapping is ridiculously hard compared to that.

exactly
Quote by Warrior47
No, he's not. There a decent number of guys with comparable technique and pick at the same speed. Vai, Gilbert, Buckethead, Govan and an okay number of others. He is a fast player, but there are other people that destroy him in terms of the other parts of technique. There is more than alternate playing notes fast. Vibrato, legato, sweep picking, tapping, finger picking (and that has tons of sub divisions), chords and tonal control are all parts of guitar playing. He does not beat other guitarists on all of those.

For instance, here's Chris Broderick playing an arpeggio exercise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkpZ645ztl0

It's a pretty simple example with no real rhythmic differences and a repeated progression, but the technique takes a long time to master.

Lolwut?
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
For me the best guitarists and artists whatsoever are those, who can think outside the box.
Quote by digman50
Lolwut?

Sorry, if you want me to be more exact, Eruption was pretty much the beginning of modern electric guitar tapping styles. Yes, I know some people had played around with it before like Zappa, some jazz guitarists and Canned Heat, but Eruption was when it really became a mainstream technique for use on the electric guitar because it caught people's attention. Before that, not many people really took note of tapping and only a few had worked at developing any sort of standard technique for it. After Eruption, people went crazy over tapping.