Poll: What's the best way to experience music?
Poll Options
View poll results: What's the best way to experience music?
Vinyl records
38 35%
CDs
39 36%
iPod/mp3
33 30%
doesn't matter
63 58%
Voters: 109.
Page 1 of 7
I'm 16, a guy, and I am in love with vinyl records. I've listened to vinyls since i was 11 but it's always been on a cheap Emerson turntable, so i never got the full experience. Just recently (the day before yesterday) I got the idea to take my mom's old Sanyo turntable out of her closet and use my bass amp as a speaker. It's without a doubt the best sound I've ever heard listening to music. For about a year I've argued with my friends that music shouldn't be downloaded and listened to as "files", and when they knew I spent hours a day listening to records they laughed at me. CDs are great because they're easy and they sound great, but most new music is compressed anyway. I was just wondering, what are your opinions? How should music be experienced? I personally think it depends on what music you're listening to (Beatles on vinyl, Death Cab for Cutie on CD), but I want other people's opinion. vote on the poll (if i can figure out how to put it up, i'm new at this thing), then if you have the time, give an explanation. I'm just curious what people think. and if you can give your age too, cause that's kind of important, there's a difference between a 60 year old listening to vinyl and a 16 year old listening to vinyl.
Have you ever tried hooking up an ipod to your bass amp? Or maybe you're just worshiping vinyl for no reason and that skews you opinion
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now with 20 percent more Allah!!!

Quote by Borsworth
^^^

Quote by GoldenRose94

that'd be slightly creepy if i didn't find it so amusing.
Wretched hipster arse.

Vinyl disappeared into obscurity because it was inferior. It's regaining popularity becuase hipster morons are also inferior and they like to have something in common with their music formats.
If you're playing anything out of a bass amp then you're doing it wrong.. You're not getting anywhere near the full range of sounds. My guess is you're hardly getting anything past 10khz through that thing. Vinyl has been proven to have inferior sound quality to CDs as far as replication of sound goes, but some people prefer it , but in either case you'll be getting a much smaller range of sound by playing through a bass amp. Get a decent stereo system to play it through, or just buy the CDs and play em out of decent computer speakers..

edit:

As a side note, it's worth pointing out that old music recorded on tape already had a limited dynamic range due to tape compression, and to a lesser extent, tube preamps that were used. If everything is going to tape the dynamic range will be lesser than if everything was recorded into a digital preamp. However, this is not a bad thing as tape compression is sometimes desireable, but even so it blows to peices this 'old music was so uncompressed and amazing' bullshit argument. Vinyl also has an inferior dynamic range to CDs, somewhere around 75db compared to CDs which are around 100 as far as i'm aware. Vinyl also is noisy after a while and degrades all the time with each play.

If you're interested in getting the sounds that were made by the musicians at the time, as the musicians intended them to be heard (providing they didn't make the music today and put it all on vinyl) then you'll listen to CDs. If you like the way vinyl degrades the sound, then you can listen to those , but don't tell people that they're 'more real' or 'uncompressed' (which as i've shown is total bullshit) or any of these other silly terms that vinyl snobs use.
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Jul 7, 2011,
Why isn't live on there? Anyway... I put CD.
I Like Orange......

Wobble Wobble Wub Wub Dakka Dakka
Quote by Butt Rayge
Wretched hipster arse.

Vinyl disappeared into obscurity because it was inferior. It's regaining popularity becuase hipster morons are also inferior and they like to have something in common with their music formats.

I like vinyl as a novelty, but there is no way the quality is higher, or has a richer sound or any of that. Especially if the album is old.
Quote by RU Experienced?

Quote by Borsworth
^^^

Quote by GoldenRose94

Quote by abdulalhazred
Have you ever tried hooking up an ipod to your bass amp? Or maybe you're just worshiping vinyl for no reason and that skews you opinion

I don't have an iPod. I used to but I stopped using it because I couldn't take the sound quality. And now I'll probably never have one again.
Vinyl doesn't inherently sound better than digital media but it is usually mastered better. More dynamic range.

If you think it sounds good through your bass amp, some decent hi-fi full range speakers will probably blow your mind.
To answer a question: Live isn't on there because I'm talking about what you listen to music from, not where you listen to it. you could be listening to live on vinyl, or live from an iPod, there's a difference. If you mean going to live shows, that's not there because everyone does that, iPod users, and record player users, they all do. So that doesn't really count (to me)
high
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
It doesn't matter. Music is enjoyable in any way.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
Quote by clw550235
I don't have an iPod. I used to but I stopped using it because I couldn't take the sound quality. And now I'll probably never have one again.

Ahh got it. You can't stand high or moderate sound quality. That explains the vinyl thing.
Quote by RU Experienced?

Quote by Borsworth
^^^

Quote by GoldenRose94

Quote by abdulalhazred
I like vinyl as a novelty, but there is no way the quality is higher, or has a richer sound or any of that. Especially if the album is old.

Well then my statement doesn't apply to you.

I enjoy vinyl too, for the novelty of it. Everyone I know personally who listens to it seems to 'know' that it's superior in every way, and they swear they can hear the difference. Just like they swear they can hear the difference in quality between a CD and a 320kbps MP3, stating that CD is far superior also.
Quote by clw550235

You're talking about sound quality yet you're saying your music sounds amazing through a bass amp. You have no right to speak about 'better' sound quality if you're listening to vinyl that is being totally muddied up by a bass amp speaker.
I am trying now to get out of listening to mp3, it's so compressed in contrast to CDs.
Catch the Dragon
Quote by hriday_hazarika
This thread is as terrible as music, which sucks balls.
Quote by clw550235

I hate you right down to your very core.
I prefer MP3's just because of the convenience. I never really notice any change in quality (though I can't stand earbuds of any kind). I also prefer "crisp" sounding music though, so maybe that makes a difference.

Edit: That being said the Itunes store is a total ripoff. I always buy CD's and rip them to MP3's.

(or torrent )
Last edited by samick007 at Jul 7, 2011,
I don't care about formats, I care about music.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Quote by abdulalhazred
Ahh got it. You can't stand high or moderate sound quality. That explains the vinyl thing.

No, I can't stand the compression that you hear when you listen to music in mp3 format. Most new remasters are compressed the same way to make room for the iPod generation. Listen to Pearl Jam's Ten remaster that came out a couple years ago (on CD, through headphones) then listen to the original (on CD, through headphones), and you'll see what I mean. I can't even listen to the remaster. I bought it, listened to the first 2 songs, then put it on the shelf and listened to the original.
As long as it has at least decent quality, the medium doesn't matter. What matters is the music itself.
I listen to records on MP3, vinyl, CD, DVD, cassette... And i always enjoy it.

I'll state that the whole way of handling a vinyl, the huge cover (= huge artwork) and the characteristic noises that you get from a vinyl are interesting, but that's more nostalgia working than anything else. It's a simply an emotional reaction for using an "old-school" technology, and it doesn't make it "the best way to enjoy music".

The best way to enjoy music is to listen to it when you want, the way you want, and (more importantly), when you need to.
The rest is just peanuts.

You're looking for validation on your opinion, and you're feeling superior to others "because you listen to records on vinyl" (which, by the way, you're doing wrong, using a bass amp as a speaker). You sound pretentious as hell, mate.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
I'm not really an audiophile. Right now, I'm listening to a FLAC through an iPod dock. So certainly nothing fancy. I also listen to vinyl from time to time, just for the novelty.
Quote by due 07
Right now, I'm listening to a FLAC through an iPod dock.

that's completely mad
Quote by Zoot Allures
You're talking about sound quality yet you're saying your music sounds amazing through a bass amp. You have no right to speak about 'better' sound quality if you're listening to vinyl that is being totally muddied up by a bass amp speaker.

It's the only speaker i have. I don't have money for more. But really, i tried listening to CDs through it, and it still sounded better than any other speakers i've ever used. just as long as you set the equalizer right. I don't know, i don't know much about amps, but really it works great for me.
Quote by clw550235
No, I can't stand the compression that you hear when you listen to music in mp3 format. Most new remasters are compressed the same way to make room for the iPod generation. Listen to Pearl Jam's Ten remaster that came out a couple years ago (on CD, through headphones) then listen to the original (on CD, through headphones), and you'll see what I mean. I can't even listen to the remaster. I bought it, listened to the first 2 songs, then put it on the shelf and listened to the original.

Music in mp3 format is 'compressed' down to a lower sound quality than a wav, this is different to compression used in mixing and mastering which you seem to be speaking about in this post aswell. You're using both terms seemingly interchangably for what are two entirely different processing, this and the fact that you play music through a bass amp and you think it sounds 'great' leads me to believe you don't know what you're talking about.

edit:

this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_compression_(data)#Lossy_audio_compression
is the type of compression that happens when a wav goes to an mp3.

this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression
is compression that is used when remastering / mastering and on individual instruments in the mix.

In the old days when people recorded on a tape a lot and used tube preamps (sometimes done today keep in mind) the audio was compressed anyway, tape does this especially this is what is known as 'tape compression'. This is often seen as desireable, and sometimes today vocals or drums for instance will be put through old tape machines in order to get the compressed sound. Tape machines also slightly EQ the sound and different machines do it differently, often with a slight bump in the low end, which is why people like it on drums.

Compression is still used today obviously, and when you are mixing songs some things need compression. Or usually they do. Vocals almost all the time, drums too, bass is also compressed too usually. Distorted guitar has virtually no dynamics anyway since distortion compresses the sound anyway.

Obviously this is not always the case, but the point i am making is that 99.9% of all music has dynamic range compression at some stage, old and new. Keep in mind, this is entirely different to lossy compression of a wav to an mp3.
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Jul 7, 2011,
I wish I had the money to be a serious audiophile, I want a true Hifi with a set of B&W speakers.

Other than that, the 320kpbs spotify streams to its premium members is enough for day to day listening.

Quote by Zoot Allures
Music in mp3 format is 'compressed' down to a lower sound quality than a wav, this is different to compression used in mixing and mastering which you seem to be speaking about in this post aswell. You're using both terms seemingly interchangably for what are two entirely different processing, this and the fact that you play music through a bass amp and you think it sounds 'great' leads me to believe you don't know what you're talking about.

As you know, WAV is typically lossless but can be compressed to be lower quality than MP3 and ofcourse it depends on the original source.

No one can talk about iPod's being great because they're the worst music players on the market. If anyone was pretty serious about their music quality, they'd stay away.
I Like Orange......

Wobble Wobble Wub Wub Dakka Dakka
Last edited by JonnyH at Jul 7, 2011,
Quote by clw550235

Seriously?

What an elitist you are.
Quote by smb
that's completely mad
Not mad, just don't care enough about sound quality. Granted, loseless files take up more hard drive space than I'd like. Whatevs.
Quote by Zoot Allures
Do you know the difference between compression used in mixing / mastering and 'compressed' sound of mp3s? Just asking

Well right now I'm taking a Sound Production course, so yarr
Catch the Dragon
Quote by hriday_hazarika
This thread is as terrible as music, which sucks balls.
Quote by Zoot Allures
Do you know the difference between compression used in mixing / mastering and 'compressed' sound of mp3s? Just asking

I genuinely kind of like the strange splashy sound of overly compressed mp3s. It should be used as an effect in music more often.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by Zoot Allures
this and the fact that you play music through a bass amp and you think it sounds 'great' leads me to believe you don't know what you're talking about.
Not to mention he likes Pearl Jam.
Quote by JonnyH
I wish I had the money to be a serious audiophile, I want a true Hifi with a set of B&W speakers.

Other than that, the 320kpbs spotify streams to its premium members is enough for day to day listening.

As you know, WAV is typically lossless but can be compressed to be lower quality than MP3 and ofcourse it depends on the original source.

No one can talk about iPod's being great because they're the worst music players on the market. If anyone was pretty serious about their music quality, they'd stay away.

I know, i just edited my post a bit
Quote by Zoot Allures

Look bro I don't know about everything, all I know is i used to have an iPod, and it sounded ****ing horrible. I listened to the Pearl Jam remaster, and it sounded ****ing horrible (compared to the original), and I'm listening to vinyl, and it sounds great. I don't care about all this technical stuff about files (i still believed music shouldn't be enjoyed as files) all I really care about is how it is experienced. And yes, the packaging matters. another reason i don't use an iPod.