I dont know if this the right forum.

I want to buy an 8 track recording device that I dont have to plug into a computer to use. It must be able to record onto some kind of internal memory so I can copy it to CD. All I really need it for is to record backing tracks, so I want something that will record in good quality but it doesnt have to be amazing. I am totally new to recording, I have read a few threads but a lot of them talk about using the PC... Mines a pile of crap so Id rather not spend money on software.

Any advice or links to other threads apprieciated, and sorry if this is the wrong forum.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Boss BR-800 has 8 tracks and can do what you said. It can be even used as a DAW if you want to update your computer so that's the long-term prospect of it

TASCAM also has some good stuff that is relatively cheaper, might want to check that out

I would give you more info but I use the BR-600 and that is apparently discontinued...
Thanks to all who posted. I think I ll go with the Boss BR-800. I watched a few demos of it on youtube and it looks like the kind of thing I want.

And its much cheaper than I expected. Only £365!
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!