I'm currently building a flat top tele with a strat neck, and a tune-o-matic bridge and tailpiece (gotoh). To compensate for the lack of neck angle, I plan to recess the bridge. My question is, is it possible to also recess the tailpiece, and if so, will it ness recessing deeper than the bridge or to the same depth?

Thanks
Gear:
Admira Artista classical guitar
$99 Steel string (actually quite good!)
COMING SOON... FREAK MAHOGANY TELE!
Ive recessed the bridge and tail piece on a few guitars (I don't like dealing with neck angles). I usually recess them the same depth. But be careful, if you recess the tail piece too far then the string will sit on the body. Its not a big deal as long as you realize it early enough that you can remove some wood from in front of the tail piece to compensate.
I would just do TOM w/ strings through the body, but yeah it's totally possible to resess the tailpiece. Nothing saying you can't.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Shinozoku
I would just do TOM w/ strings through the body, but yeah it's totally possible to resess the tailpiece. Nothing saying you can't.

Why would you go strings through body?

Also, does the break angle have any influence on the tone or playability of the guitar?

And if I was to go string through, do the holes have to be drilled a certain distance behind the bridge, or can I just use whatever distance I like as long as the strings are long enough?

Thanks
Gear:
Admira Artista classical guitar
$99 Steel string (actually quite good!)
COMING SOON... FREAK MAHOGANY TELE!
I'd go strings through body because more of the string was making contact with the body.

Yes, a sharper break angle can increase perceived string tension a bit, and could possibly cause strings to break more easily due to the sharper angle.

Kinda got the right idea. Keep it roughly the distance a tailpiece would be though. If you have the tailpiece already, just recess it and use it. No use in wasting a tailpiece
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores