Hi, I own an Epiphone Les Paul Custom Alpine White (as you can see in my profile).
A few weeks ago I started wondering which genre of music I like best and what i really want to do with my instrument. I realize that I like Neoclassical / Progresive Metal and acoustic songs (acoustic rock, some country,...). The problem is that I dont know if my guitar is good for this types of music. I have the opportunity to exange it with a fender strat made in mexico, so I ask you which one suits better my "goals".

My favourite guitarists are Randy Rhoads, Marty Friedman, Chris Impellitteri, John Petrucci and Zakk Wylde.

I'm sorry but I havent got the money to buy the fender and also keep my Epiphone.
So I ask to you experts to get the best I can get from my instrument.

Thanks.
Some famous shred guitarists use strats, eg yngwie malmsteen and Chris Impellitteri. and alot use les pauls like randy rhoads and zakk wylde. i'd say strats are better although i wouldnt go for a fender. i'd pick an ibanez, esp, or a jackson. its up to you but i'd say change because youll benefit so much from it
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic
Yamaha 12 string acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
Some famous shred guitarists use strats, eg yngwie malmsteen and Chris Impellitteri. and alot use les pauls like randy rhoads and zakk wylde.

Lol I know, this is the problem.

i'd pick an ibanez, esp, or a jackson

Are they going to sound good (or in a decent way) clean?

seeing as your idols are mainly humbucker users i would stick with what you have

its up to you but i'd say change because youll benefit so much from it

Can you tell me why? So I can understand.
I know I'm a bit persistent but I wan't to understand the good and the bad of the two possible choices.

Thanks to everyone.
Quote by The_Flesh_Storm
Lol I know, this is the problem.

Are they going to sound good (or in a decent way) clean?

Can you tell me why? So I can understand.
I know I'm a bit persistent but I wan't to understand the good and the bad of the two possible choices.

Thanks to everyone.

Yes, if you have a decent amp and you plug it in it should sound good clean and on other settings, just look at kirk hammett's sounds on his esp

The sounds from the other guitars are great. It may be my preferences because im a metal type of person but knowing the amount of artists that use ibanez esp and jacksons you cant go wrong. The Epiphone is still great though, and as said, the guitarists use humbuckers and you could stay with it, but you wouldnt regret changing! PRS and musicman are also great for your type of music. If you cant see any good in these then by all means stick with the epiphone, its a nice guitar!
My Rig
Fender Blacktop Strat HH MN > Joyo JF-01 Vintage Overdrive > Boss ME50 > Line 6 Spider IV 30

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
Hi i would like to buy an apple or an orange which is better?

Can you see where i'm going with this...
Those 2 guitars are totally different. Its up to what you prefer really.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Hi i would like to buy an apple or an orange which is better?

Can you see where i'm going with this...
Those 2 guitars are totally different. Its up to what you prefer really.

+1
My Rig

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
musicman

My dream is to get one, but they are reeeeeally expensive.
Well I think I'm going to the shop and try a few ibanez, the mex strat and then see what fit me better.
Quote by The_Flesh_Storm
My dream is to get one, but they are reeeeeally expensive.
Well I think I'm going to the shop and try a few ibanez, the mex strat and then see what fit me better.

yeah i only have the money to buy a low range guitar for now, my budget is like £300 - around $500. Ive looked at the ibanez rgr321ex and its the one for me but shop around try some out and youll find one you love!
My Rig

Other Shit
Jim Deacon Acoustic

New Amp Fund
£300/700
Go with whatever feels best in your hand. Highly technical playing demands that you're extremely comfortable with your guitar. Don't use something just because some famous player uses it. If a Les Paul is what feels best in your hand then use a Les Paul. If you pick up a Strat and like that better, play that. If you pick up a Gretsch White Falcon and find that it fits in your hand perfectly then save up and buy that. The body style of a guitar does not dictate what you can or can't play, the only thing that effects what you can play is how comfortable you are with the neck.
although i usually suggest strats (as that is what i play) it seems that your LP is more in line with what you like. any guitar can be used for any genre (granted some are ill suited depending on what genre but that is beside the point). perhaps you need to spend some time with a variety of guitars to see what suites you best. despite being a huge fan of several well known LP players i find that a LP just isn't me (owned a couple) so as already mentioned don't put to much emphasis on what your fav players use.