Poll: Does piracy = theft?
Poll Options
View poll results: Does piracy = theft?
Yes, undoubtedly
76 32%
Yes, To an extent
73 31%
No, but I don't think it's right to do so regardless.
32 14%
Definitely not.
55 23%
Voters: 236.
Page 1 of 6
I'm sure some of you may have seen this image floating around the internet;

The question is, do you agree with it?
There's a special sex move I do called the Charizard.
It's where you light the girls pubes, then put it out with your cum and run around the room flapping your arms screaming, "You don't have enough badges to train me!"
If it's taking the profit the product would otherwise have obtained, yes.
Horseness is the whatness of allhorse.
We are all Neil Lennon
UG GT5 group
you're not stealing the physical album, but you are stealing copyrighted material.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by UraniYum

/thread
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

Quote by buzz
/thread

/thread
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
it's like someone steals your car... and then it's still there...
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Quote by ethan_hanus
Yes, it is stealing. Just don't be a lazy freeloader and pony up the money.

what does being lazy have to do with it? i'd imagine it would take less effort to go to iTunes or the website for whatever software or wherever and buy it legally than to pirate whatever.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
As the quote goes... If piracy is illegal, then my hard drive contents are worth more than China.
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
You're taking something that people have worked hard to create, and giving them nothing in return.

Even if you don't want to consider it as theft, it's still a ****ing dick move.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Why, sure it is. But it is not just theft. It is also:

Killing
Singing drunken songs
Hanging around with your mates
Going to find some rare items or something
Living your life to the full

It is many things
This will start a RIOT! in me
Quote by UraniYum

What if you pirate something that you had no intention of ever purchasing legally? Is it stealing then?
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
I dont know a lot about stealing in general, so im just going to stay over here and let you guys talk this one out. Im a square.

Although...I did shop lift a single onion from Walmart this one time. So there is that. Yeah, thats right. Im a rebel. Livin' DANGEROUS! Ahem..like I said, ill just sit this one out.
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
Quote by Ur all $h1t
What if you pirate something that you had no intention of ever purchasing legally? Is it stealing then?

Yes. The creator of whatever you pirated should be making money every time someone acquires one.
American Circus
Like the White Stripes, RHCP, or Cage the Elephant? Check out mah band!
Quote by UraniYum

That's flawed logic though. Just because I'm pirating something doesn't mean I had any intention of buying it in the first place.

My friend gives me his hat. I planned on buying that hat before but he gave it to me so I didn't. The company lost the profit they would have obtained otherwise if he hadn't given it to me. So I stole a hat.

My friend wants a popular single but doesn't want to buy the album. I bought the album before so I burn him a CD with the single, so he stole that song.

I pirate and I buy. I just spend almost $40 on music from one artist and I'll get more soon, because Devin Townsend is that awesome. I pirated the first albums I got. I enjoyed his music so much that I added him to my list of people who I support financially. I've never bought a Lady Gaga album but I've spent a shitload of money at a show. I would have never attended if I hadn't pirated her albums.

EDIT: ^Then burning CDs is just as bad.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Jul 7, 2011,
Quote by UraniYum

This. /thread.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
Quote by theogonia777
what does being lazy have to do with it? i'd imagine it would take less effort to go to iTunes or the website for whatever software or wherever and buy it legally than to pirate whatever.

Lazy, as in too lazy to earn the money to buy it.
The picture is trying to blur the line.
It's not a blurred line.
Copyrighted material means you need to buy to own when new unless it says otherwise. Not copy a video on youtube to own.

It's potential revenue they are losing and that is still companies losing money.

But it's so common-place and copyable now that it doesn't feel bad. And also people are cheap when it comes to entertainment.. That's right, i called you all cheap because you don't want to work for your media.

wanna fight about it?
I hope I didn't strike a nerve
There's a good chance that what I've written above is useless and if you take any of the advice it's your own fault.
I suppose that on whether you consider not paying for shit as theft. Besides, it's now $1 for a song, $10-20 for an album. Is it really that hard to pay that little?

Quote by captaincrunk
So tax is theft, blunders are theft, etc. Great...
Way to take it out of context. And tax is not theft. A company doesn't lose anything out of the $10 you pay for an album when tax is involved. You just pay the tax there. They keep the $10. Bad example.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jul 7, 2011,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
I suppose that on whether you consider not paying for shit as theft. Besides, it's now $1 for a song, $10-20 for an album. Is it really that hard to pay that little?

But what if you don't have any money
Last edited by conor-figgy at Jul 7, 2011,
Quote by UraniYum

I'm not getting any money from it.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
You mean legally or morally?

Legally, it is. You've got dicks like the RIAA paying millions of bucks to stop it from happening.

Morally? I don't give a ****, I can't afford to buy any CDs, so I'm gonna download whenever I wanna listen to music, and if I really like the album, I'll only buy it if it's on vinyl, why? I'm just a ****ing hipster like that and I really like the crackling of vinyl.

I never bought vinyl though...but I plan to, someday.

Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
I'm not getting any money from it.

Neither are the people pirating it online.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Jul 7, 2011,
Quote by conor-figgy
But what if you don't have any money
Then, maybe your least concern should be buying new music.
Well, the way I see it:

Go ahead, pirate something. You probably weren't going to pay for it anyways.
Now, enjoy it for a bit. Do you like it? Good, then you should pay for it.
You don't like it? Fine, you weren't going to buy it anyways.
Now, CAN you pay for it? Yes? You should pay for it. Support the people who created something that you liked.
No? Well, make a note, when you can, pay for it. Because you didn't have the money, and probably weren't going to buy it anyways.

Now assuming you CAN pay for it and you DID enjoy it and you don't pay for it... then it's a type of stealing. Though not in the traditional sense.
"Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it."
-John Lennon
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Then, maybe your least concern should be buying new music.

And that's where torrents etc. come in. You can't tell me that music is only for those who can afford it.
Piracy is stealing no matter how you look at it.
Some people just wanna watch the world burn. Wanna join me when I take my turn to pour the gas, light the match, see your world flip upside down and drop until it's inside out?
Quote by WantsLesPaul
I get such a big rush from downloading torrents that I just have to cum all over my face right at that moment.

You my friend, are sigged.

But if you had the choice between buying music, or getting music for free and spending your saved money on whatever you can't pirate, like gear. Or fleshlights. Which would you choose?
Quote by WantsLesPaul
I get such a big rush from downloading torrents that I just have to cum all over my face right at that moment.
Last edited by Bitches nBagels at Jul 7, 2011,
Do I think it is stealing? Yes

Do I look down upon people who download? No

Do I download? No, but only because I can afford my music. I can see why people who can't afford it would download and don't really care at all that they do.

Forza Juve

'e voglia 'e mettere rum, chi nasce strunz' nun po' addiventà babbà
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
Quote by Silent Murder
The picture is trying to blur the line.
It's not a blurred line.
Copyrighted material means you need to buy to own when new unless it says otherwise. Not copy a video on youtube to own.

It's potential revenue they are losing and that is still companies losing money.

But it's so common-place and copyable now that it doesn't feel bad. And also people are cheap when it comes to entertainment.. That's right, i called you all cheap because you don't want to work for your media.

wanna fight about it?
I hope I didn't strike a nerve

So what you're saying that is that if I buy an album, burn it for a friend, then he uploads it to a torrent site it's fine? It's not new. It's passed from me, to him, then copied (Just like how I burned it) for others.

The whole "potential revenue" stuff is bullshit. They're losing potential revenue every time I decide to not buy something, whether I download it or not. They lose the same potential if I pirate it or not.

Where does it cross a line between burning CDs and torrenting? The only difference is scale, so where does it stop being ok and start being illegal?
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
it depends what definition you're going to go off. if you think that everyone should pay £15 for an album, then it is if everyone doesn't do that. i think charging everyone that money is stealing, though.
you can just borrow free music from the library (or a friend) and burn it.
and you can record everything off tv as well (including films).
it just so happens that instead of vhs and tapes, like back in the day, you have mp3s and avis that are more convenient to download than copy. it's never been seen as stealing before.
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th