Hey y'all.

So I recently read on these boards that new strings will buzz, and it is normal because they have to adjust etc.

But for how long do they usually buzz ?
I just installed new strings on my Les Paul this afternoon (6pm here) and they buzz (the old ones didn't).

When can I expect the buzz to go away ?

Thanks !!
A week at most, Depending on how much you play. If you play alot, less.
Quote by christfudge
Joe Satriani + Kirk Hammett = Joe Satriani

Quote by Vornik
I got really drunk, dropped some acid and found myself about 12 feet away from a black bear. Though you should know.
What gauge did you put on? What was on there to begin with? New strings don't just buzz because they're new. When a guitar is properly set up for no buzz with a particular gauge and brand of string, changing strings for a new set of the same type will not make it buzz. None of my guitars do it. Changing brands or gauge can cause it though.

Buzzing with new strings is usually caused by going to a lighter gauge, especially on a Les Paul that has a shorter scale length. The lower tension of the lighter gauge can cause buzzing. The LP likes a slightly heavier gauge than the Strat, just because the shorter scale length of the LP results in lower string tension (when compared with the same gauge on a Strat and in the same tuning). Even different brands of the same gauge can have slightly different tension, but some manufacturers do not publish the specs, so comparing is difficult. Set it up for the strings you decide you like and stick with that type and you should have no issues.
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Swart STR Tweed
Quilter 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Last edited by Vulcan at Jul 7, 2011,
thanks for the answers.

the strings are the same as the old ones. EB .10 .46

I have an annoying buzz at the 1,2,3 and 4 frets. I had buzz there before but it was much less.

So, I just have to play and wait ?
If you're getting buzzing that low on the neck, I would take it in and get it looked at. It shouldn't ever buzz down that low.

Or do you mean that when you fret strings on those frets it's buzzing up higher?
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Swart STR Tweed
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Last edited by Vulcan at Jul 7, 2011,
You had buzz before but it's worse now? I'd say that you are just hearing it more because the strings are producing more high end. ie your setup was always bad but the strings were so dull that it didn't annoy you.
I always put new strings on right before a gig and they don't buzz. The problem here is your guitar's setup.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
There is buzz on the low E, A and D strings on the first 4 frets.
There was buzz there before but it was barely noticable.

I left my guitar with one string missing for 1 day (I broke the string yesterday and bought new one today). Is that the cause ?
Quote by alans056
There is buzz on the low E, A and D strings on the first 4 frets.
There was buzz there before but it was barely noticable.

I left my guitar with one string missing for 1 day (I broke the string yesterday and bought new one today). Is that the cause ?

No, I've seen guitars be left unstringed for years, or have the neck removed for years and I've put them back together and they had perfect action.

Your guitar prolly just has a bad set up. Either set it up yourself or pay someone to do it.
I see thank you. It would be a bad idea to try and adjust the truss rod myself wouldn't it ?
Quote by alans056
I see thank you. It would be a bad idea to try and adjust the truss rod myself wouldn't it ?

Yes, it would be a bad idea, because you don't even know if that's the problem.
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Swart STR Tweed
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
The buzzing with the old strings were probably dampened because they were cruddy and saturated with God knows what.
Last edited by 667 at Jul 7, 2011,