^ depends on your definition of "unique"

you do realize that music from virtually all genres contain chords that extend beyond the basic 1-3-5 right?
Cynic, possibly Atheist.

How can someone like tech death but not know those two bands O_o? The ****?
It's spelled wiener.
Atheist, VUVR, Panzerballett (not tech death, in fact not strictly metal, but check them out), Pestilence (on Spheres) and maybe Mithras.
Cynic, Atheist, Alarum...

Spawn of Possession, although they're nowhere near jazzy, but they do utilize difficult and complex chords...

For instrumental metal, go with Exivious. Or, if you don't mind Djent metal, listen to Animals as Leaders or Ever Forthright. Complex chords, Jazz feel, Metal... Not exactly Tech-Death, but complex enough to be called Technical.
i second animals as leaders, im sure its not considered death, but its definitely tech and jazzy
Quote by Keth
Oh yeah, I totally forgot about Exivious, great example indeed!

(Plus, I'm seeing them live tomorrow )

I hate you. <3
It's spelled wiener.
Quote by Life Is Brutal
Cynic, Atheist, Alarum...

Spawn of Possession, although they're nowhere near jazzy, but they do utilize difficult and complex chords...

For instrumental metal, go with Exivious. Or, if you don't mind Djent metal, listen to Animals as Leaders or Ever Forthright. Complex chords, Jazz feel, Metal... Not exactly Tech-Death, but complex enough to be called Technical.

Oh man how could I forget Animals as Leaders? Definitely recommended and very jazzy at times. I especially like the acoustic tune Modern Meat (probably the jazziest thing on the album) and the opener Tempting Time.
Tempting Time is a good, and Point to Point and Tessitura are also very jazzy. Also try Inamorata, although I've only listened to the GP tab for it.

This is Ever Forthright, great chords and phrasing, although to be honest I haven't listened to anything other than the songs mentioned in the vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-B8Fxs2g-0