I'm really new to recording and have no idea how to do it. All I know is you need a mic, guitar, and recording software, but what else?

I pretty much want it to sound nice and clean like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbxy99_5Mw4

I'm sure he has an expensive setup though, but how can I get close to that sound with a cheap setup?

All I have right now is a guitar.
Quote by fly135
I recorded this clip with a MXL 2010 Condensor mic that I picked up cheap.

Open Air

That sounds awesome!

Now how did you go about recording that? How did you plug your mic into your computer?
Well a condensor mic needs phantom power, so it's pluged into a cheap Behringer mixer that you can get for under a $100. I then plugged the mixer output into the computer's sound card line in.

A mixer is really handy for plugging in multiple things. And it provides the proper interface specs for pluggin in a microphone whether it needs phantom power (condensor mic) or doesn't (dynamic mic). The specs for a computer sound card are not good for interfacing mics or guitars, but work fine with output levels from the mixer. And some mixers have USB audio so you don't need to depend on the quality of your computer sound card. Although for my purposes I've found most sound cards work fine.
I'd advise checking out the recordings forum here on UG
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
Quote by fly135
Well a condensor mic needs phantom power, so it's pluged into a cheap Behringer mixer that you can get for under a $100. I then plugged the mixer output into the computer's sound card line in.

A mixer is really handy for plugging in multiple things. And it provides the proper interface specs for pluggin in a microphone whether it needs phantom power (condensor mic) or doesn't (dynamic mic). The specs for a computer sound card are not good for interfacing mics or guitars, but work fine with output levels from the mixer. And some mixers have USB audio so you don't need to depend on the quality of your computer sound card. Although for my purposes I've found most sound cards work fine.

Thank you, this really helped me out a lot.