Does anybody know what scales Buckethead plays because they all sound really weird to me or maybe my ear isnt trained enough?
He is using scales, but playing them with so many chromatic notes that it's basically chromatic.
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
thank you i have another question though. Does anyone have a technique on memorizing scales or how they practice learning new ones?
Quote by Nottachance
thank you i have another question though. Does anyone have a technique on memorizing scales or how they practice learning new ones?

For memorizing, you just have to work at it. For access to a bunch of new scales:

Take a Tonic (1) then add the perfect fourth (4) and fifth (5). Pick any two notes between the 1 and 4, then take any two notes between the 5 and 8 (1). You can make a bunch of solid combinations this way. Play them, harmonize them, see how each note pulls to another... .

For example, I start with 1, 4 and 5. Now...b2, 3, b6 and 7. So: 1 b2 3 4 5 b6 7. This is called the double harmonic scale (but you don't have to know that.) It's got leading tones from 7 and b2 that pull towards 1. Also, a strong pull from 4 to 3 and b6 to 5.

Honestly, the best application of these different scales is to compliment the major or minor, rather than taking the whole scale by itself.
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.
Quote by Nottachance

The vast majority of the time a song will just use the major or minor scale. If it deviates, it's only a small change from the major or minor scale.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud