Hello everyone. I'm in a Rock band called The Results, which you can find here, facebook, and reverbnation. I am currently browsing the selection of new guitars in my area since I had to sell my Jackson Dinky and C-1 Schecter :-(. I'd like some opinions on 7 string guitars because I've noticed ALOT of new rock artists use dropped D tuning for their rhythm guitar, the only problem is both myself and the other guitar player dual lead work and thats a little restricting for the bassier solo notes. How do you all feel about a 7-string guitar tuned to C-E-A-D-G-B-E, so I can still pound out quick heavy rhythms and have a full standard tuning for soloing? I mean I realize its all about going out and actually trying it out for yourself but maybe if anyone has tried it or uses it on their equiptment and is willing to share your experiences and pros/ cons I can be a little more confident in a radical move like that. Thanks for checking out my thread and I can't wait for feedback! Later guys n gals :-)
A 7 string is already tuned to BEADGBE, so are you saying you are going to tune the 7th string up a note, or down almost a full octave?
ooooooooohh, see this is exactly why I posed the question! How would I go about tuning the B string to do single fret power chords? Or is there another recommended tuning? Or am I just as retarded as I think I am and should stick with 6 string?
Last edited by TheResults at Jul 7, 2011,
Quote by TheResults
ooooooooohh, see this is exactly why I posed the question! How would I go about tuning the B string to do single fret power chords? Or is there another recommended tuning? Or am I just as retarded as I think I am and should stick with 6 string?

Tune it down a step to A (I think)
It would end up being drop A, which is normally ludicrously heavy. If thats the sound youre going for

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by TheResults

Good thing you did, this is one of those more useful questions that not everybody understands.

You could tune it to AEADGBe or if you want the standard 6 string drop D power chords as well, ADADGBe.
honestly, you might be better off staying with a 6 string. the main reason i use a 7 string is to tune it like a baritone guitar. keep it in standard but drop the G down a half step and you have a baritone for however many songs you need it. thats just me
You know, it's funny, when I was going to get my first 7 string, I was nervous because I thought it would ruin 6 strings for me. I was convinced it was going to kill my love for a 6 string. Now I think back on that and I feel retarded because, yeah, it's cool to have for heavy riffs, but it's big and cumbersome, and it's limited in so many areas, like style choices. Yeah, I suppose you could get some bluesier or jazzier pickups for a 7 string, but it's not really worthwhile since I don't need a lower tuning for that stuff. I know Tosin Abasi plays jazz on an 8 string, but the man is a guitar god, he'd just be limited on 6 strings. But even then, I doesn't even matter, just look at buckethead.
Quote by W4RP1G
it's limited in so many areas, like style choices.

A 7 string is no more or less limited than any other guitar would be, in fact I would go so far as to say that the extra range is freeing rather than limiting. There's nothing that a 6 string can do that a 7 string can't.

I would also point out that the 7 string (in its modern form) originated in jazz to aid the addition of bass lines to comping rhythms (usually in drop A no less), this idea that they're only for br00tal metalz is not only something that's come up very recently, it's just flat out wrong.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
If you want to do a drop tuning on a 7-string, you can also also tune the 6 strings up and half-step while tuning the B down a step so you'll be in drop Bb. One thing I found disliked about 7-strings is drop tuning becomes difficult. You can only go down so much it. The 6-strings are usually standard tuning. It doesn't sound heavy unless you play the B string. If you like getting a heavy sound by down tuning, 7-strings generally don't give that because you're not downtuned. You just have one extra string. If you like downtuning like drop-C and a C# standard, a 7-string won't do that for you.
....you know you don't have to tune down low to sound heavy right?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Djentdjentdjentdjent

I dunno if you need a 7 string op..
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Jul 8, 2011,
Squealy Squealy Squeal

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
If you can't adapt your solos two semitones for playing in drop D, I think you should find another hobby tbfh.
Quote by Våd Hamster
If you can't adapt your solos two semitones for playing in drop D, I think you should find another hobby tbfh.

It's not an issue with transposing, I'm just exploring options, trying out new things; so I don't know, Ill just go around and try some out. Great feedback tho from most everyone thanks alot! I'm a lil more confident in diving into that realm.
Well if you want to play in a drop tuning, you're going to have to deal with transposing. Not sure what you're really asking for.

If it's because you want to keep the high range and still have some semi-heavy lows, you can always do a partial tuning- An old Norwegian heavy rock group that disbanded played in CGCGBE for that reason, it's actually a pretty versatile tuning.

Highest drop tuning you could get out of a 7 string would be drop A#, maybe B on a good day, and then you're setting yourself up for some really thin high strings.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
A 7 string is no more or less limited than any other guitar would be, in fact I would go so far as to say that the extra range is freeing rather than limiting. There's nothing that a 6 string can do that a 7 string can't.

I would also point out that the 7 string (in its modern form) originated in jazz to aid the addition of bass lines to comping rhythms (usually in drop A no less), this idea that they're only for br00tal metalz is not only something that's come up very recently, it's just flat out wrong.

It's limiting to me with the huge lack of variety vs 6 strings. Pickups and bridge options are so limited because all anyone makes is metal oriented 7 strings. I know you can play any style on it, and that it offers more range, but I can't make use of the range, nor do I really need to. To me a 7 string will always just be a metal guitar.
Drop A is my favourite tuning.

Tuning the lowest string up to C is no problem, sometimes it's handy for tunes in C.

There's nothing that a 6 string can do that a 7 string can't.

Oh? Played much D/F# with the thumb recently?
Quote by W4RP1G
It's limiting to me with the huge lack of variety vs 6 strings. Pickups and bridge options are so limited because all anyone makes is metal oriented 7 strings. I know you can play any style on it, and that it offers more range, but I can't make use of the range, nor do I really need to. To me a 7 string will always just be a metal guitar.

The Suhr and Caparison 7 strings but disagree with you. I'm not trying to be harsh or anything but you're wrong. That's all there is to it.

Quote by Freepower
Oh? Played much D/F# with the thumb recently?

LALALALLAAI'MNOTLISTENINGTOYOULALALALALALALALA.

Seriously, some of those chords John Mayer plays with his thumb, I'm sure it can be done but I never play with my thumb so I couldn't tell you either way.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
The Suhr and Caparison 7 strings but disagree with you. I'm not trying to be harsh or anything but you're wrong. That's all there is to it.

ok dude, I'm wrong for having an opinion on how useful a 7 string is to me

Moron.
Quote by W4RP1G

Moron.

You're the moron for not reading what he said. You're wrong because not all 7 strings are for metal like you said they are, Suhr and Caparison are just 2 examples. Plenty of small luthiers make hollowbody 7's for jazz players.
Quote by W4RP1G

Moron.

uhhh hollowbodied jazz 7 strings came first before superstrat metulz 7 strings dickpuss!
this thread is just a fail, bareknuckle, dimarzio, seymour duncan, these all make 7 string pickups which arent orientated around metal (they do make some pickups which are), i find tuning to drop a with my 7 strings allows me to play low, chuggy riffs but also use the standard tuning (eadgbe) for my solos, which could be shred, jazz, or bluesy, 7 strings are only as useful as you make them to be
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
I prefer to collect guitars just to keep them in different tunings (mostly due to FR's), I have a couple 7's and a few 6's. Its nice to be able to pick up and play whatever tuning I want with out messing around, Its real handy like say a riff comes to mind you can pick up the tuning your thinking of and play it/work it out before losing it. But as any guitar you have to play it first to see if it fits you, 7's are one thing, but neck shape and size are another.
Quote by W4RP1G
To me a 7 string will always just be a metal guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m71extrs6nE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIdQGN45tOU

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by W4RP1G

Moron.

No...you're saying all it will be is a metal guitar, while examples are being thrown at you to show you contrary. No need to get vicious with him. Seriously.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Whoa, hold on. I poorly stated my opinion that a 7 string is only useful TO ME for metal. Maybe if I played jazz, it'd be more appropriate for my style. I didn't realize I'd worded it like a fact, rather than preference.

Zaphod_Beeblebr, sorry for calling you a moron.