Ok, so I snagged a MIM Precision and I am looking to do an electronic overhaul on it. I already have a Quarter Pounder pickup that I am waiting to install and I was wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction for a good upgrade to the pots. I figure that if I am going to replace the pickups, I might as well do all of the electronics. Thanks.
Ted Nugent 2012

My Gear:

Fender American Standard Precision
Fender MIM Jazz
Gallien-Krueger 1001rb-ii/ 4x10 MBX cab
Ibanez AS-73
LTD EC-100
Peavey Rage 158
Alpha or CTS are a good upgrade.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
GFS has some cheap ones that are perfect upgrades as well, pots aren't as finicky as people think, they can have wear or damage that makes them sound scratchy, or you could have linear as opposed to audio taper pots and experience jumps in tone or volume or vis versa, or they could be 250k and not allow enough highs perhaps and you need 500k. Overall $1 pot mini or large will be the same as a $5 expensive brand pot.

TL;DR a pots a very simple device that just adjusts the flow of sound/current, parameters can determine the overall tone, but every brand carries the same parameters cheap or expensive
Ok, so can you explain the linear and audio taper pots for me? And also, Im assuming that the higher value for 'k' a pot has, the more output or something?
Ted Nugent 2012

My Gear:

Fender American Standard Precision
Fender MIM Jazz
Gallien-Krueger 1001rb-ii/ 4x10 MBX cab
Ibanez AS-73
LTD EC-100
Peavey Rage 158
Linear pots go fast at settings 1 through 3,
but have very little effect from 4 through 10.

In other words, it's fast at first, but the rest
makes little difference. You can roll off the
volume real quick. That's about it.

I would stay with audio taper for both. It's
more predictable and gives better overall
control.

500k pots will be a little brighter and a little
hotter when set on 10.

To me, the real advantage of 500k pots is when
I use some lower settings on the tone, the
response is much more "good sounding" as
opposed to "muffled sounding".

It's hard to explain, but turning the treble down
will be more enjoyable.

That has been my experience,

Tabdog
^ what tabdog said, When it comes to guitar I like it bright as all get out, esquire always with the tone disengaged with 500k pots for when I seldom use it, and a classic 30 amp. On bass, I tend to drop most of the treble to ground (is that more tone or tone rolled off??) but I still use 500K pots when I have the chance and audio taper, to me it's like the perfect pot nuff said. Never muddy, never inconsistent just pure tone of the instrument.

If you're a bright guy, disengage the tone or consider 1 meg and or no load pots.

I just hate linear pots with a passion, and fenders sneak use of them on hotrods pisses me off

Edit: Think of it this way you can always drop the treble completely, but takes a lower load pot to have more to begin with.
Last edited by askrere at Jul 7, 2011,