Hi, I'm a bassist-in-training(I've played bass longer than 6-string, but I never took it seriously 'til maybe a month ago, nor did I have a bass of my own), and over the past week or so, whilst fingerpicking I've started using my ring finger with my middle finger when I pick slower stuff, so my picking pattern's index - middle+ring - index - middle+ring. I tend to put more emphasis on my index notes than with my middle finger notes, and I find adding my ring finger in adds more punch to the notes. Is it frowned upon to do this? I'm not playing anything really fast, mostly Black Sabbathy/stoner/doom-type stuff and 80s metal(though I generally use a pick for that stuff), but I'd like to know in case I'm starting a bad habit. Thanks!
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.
weird but if it sounds good to you? are you saying you use your index then middle and ring at the same time like a big finger?
Quote by askrere
weird but if it sounds good to you? are you saying you use your index then middle and ring at the same time like a big finger?

Yeah. I don't find it slows me down any, and I find my middle finger sounds a little weak alone compared to my index.
Quote by SlayingDragons
I'm pretty sure I've seen Cliff Burton do this before, so if he did it than it is definitely acceptable. It seems to me that it would slow you down. I'm a guitarist but when I play bass I find myself using my ring finger along with my middle as well. If I'm playing something fast than I use just my index and middle usually but I agree that the middle finger doesn't pack as much of a punch. I tried just picking lighter with my index which helped the sound quality but it wasn't as fun lol
"Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it." ~Henry David Thoreau
Quote by pearlJam_31490
I'm pretty sure I've seen Cliff Burton do this before, so if he did it than it is definitely acceptable. It seems to me that it would slow you down. I'm a guitarist but when I play bass I find myself using my ring finger along with my middle as well. If I'm playing something fast than I use just my index and middle usually but I agree that the middle finger doesn't pack as much of a punch. I tried just picking lighter with my index which helped the sound quality but it wasn't as fun lol

Alright. And yeah, I pretty much do the same, which is why I end up using picks for fast stuff(the middle notes tend to get a little lost and it sounds mushed together). XD Thanks guys!
Quote by SlayingDragons
isnt it slowing you down ?

im not training with 3 fingers tecnique.. index , mid and ring.... bit hard but i think it wil lbe great when i wil lget used to it

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Bugera Fire Wall Half Stack
^
I would seriously recommend you learn to use each finger independently. It'll improve your playing a lot, even if you feel it's not slowing you down now, it probably will in the future.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by pearlJam_31490

cliff burton is by no means an authority on technique.

I would say don't do that. its not 'bad' technique per se, but its not good, and it will p[robbly be detrimental down the line.
no sir away a papaya war is on