Im looking to buy my first tube amp head. I've been playing a practice amp for five years and I've saved up enough money to buy a new guitar, an amp head and a 4x12 cab. I was wondering what amp head to buy since there are a lot of them. I'm looking to buy one for about 450 euros and i'll probably buy a second hand cab. I'm looking for something with a thrash metal tone (Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax etc.) any help would be appreciated.
What brands are available in your region? You said you'd go used on the cabinet; are you willing to go used on the amplifier, too?
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Its 420 for the guitar, 450 for the head and about 200 or 300 for a cab so my budget is around 1200 for the lot.
There is absolutely nothing in Ireland so i have to buy everything online. I prob would go used on the head as long as it's in good nic.
Blackstar HT-5 if gigging isn't an issue and a framus 2x12. I live in the Uk and bought my stuff off thomann, a german company. Their prices are really good considering they ship from Germany. Have a look on there.
1969 Honey Burst Les Paul
2001 Gibson SG
2009 Martin D-15m
2006 Fender Sonoran

1979 MusicMan HD130 2-12
Framus 2-12 V30's
Blackstar HT5

Blackstar Dist-x
Boss DS-1
Crybaby Wah
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone

View my Pedal Thread
Quote by Joshthedamaja
Blackstar HT-5 if gigging isn't an issue and a framus 2x12. I live in the Uk and bought my stuff off thomann, a german company. Their prices are really good considering they ship from Germany. Have a look on there.

Ya I've been Thomann and a lot of amps for my budget are line 6's and a Marshall Ma50h but I don't know whether they are any good or not.
laney gh50/100 L?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
laney gh50/100 L?

I've had a look at the gh100l, it seems ok and i'll consider that one. I was looking at the line 6 spider IV 150HD and i know its a modelling amp but that seems exactly what i need. Does anyone own one of them and its it any good? Is it as good sounding as a tube amp?
Last edited by Keith Finnegan at Jul 7, 2011,
^ good point actually. the UK distributor has a bunch of new ones which have damaged boxes which it's blowing out on ebay (full warranty). not sure what postage to ireland would be, but they might be worth considering (i say that having not tried them, but they're supposedly designed by soldano and have a pretty good rep for the price). they're also blowing out some cabs too.

actually now you mentioned it that's probably the way to go.

Quote by Keith Finnegan
I've had a look at the gh100l, it seems ok and i'll consider that one. I was looking at the line 6 spider IV 150HD and i know its a modelling amp but that seems exactly what i need. Does anyone own one of them and its it any good? Is it as good sounding as a tube amp?

no
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 7, 2011,
Quote by Keith Finnegan

oh god not a spider.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

The jet city amps are soldano amps on the cheap, they have a 20 watt head and matching 1x12 cab for a good price, and I'm sure that other ones good. They are higher gain than I needed so I went with a peavey classic 30. I seriously doubt you need a 4x12, my 30 watt amp is a 1x12 with an extra 1x12 extension and it's loud as all get out.
Quote by Keith Finnegan

Quote by Keith Finnegan
I'm kinda looking for a stack anyway so ya.

Gosh, with a budget of 450 euro... I can see how this will end, he'll probably go out and buy the biggest and loudest stack because it looks rock.

Why exactly do you need a stack... and one with a high wattage?

If you're not gigging, something like the upcoming JCA22 combo with an OD sounds exactly like what you'll need.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by Keith Finnegan
I've had a look at the gh100l, it seems ok and i'll consider that one.

Consider the 50w one aswell, don't just automatically go for the one with the higher wattage. 50w tube through a 412 or even a 212 is louder than you'll ever need.

If you're considering something like a Spider don't just get a stack because it's a stack. Get something that sounds good. Unless you specifically need a 412 cab I'd also consider a 212. Easier to transport and will leave you with more money for a good head. Check out the Harley Benton vintage cabs on Thomann, they come with Celestion V30's and are very reasonably priced. Thomann also had some bugera heads for a while which would be worth a look.

EDIT: Also whereabouts in Ireland are you? Music Maker in Dublin usually has a pretty good selection. There are some other spots that would be worth a look too. I'd mention Waltons on South Great Georges street but last time I was there it was mostly cheaper solid state stuff.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Last edited by GNR4EVER at Jul 8, 2011,
Yeah i came into here to say what dave said.
Really reasonable prices on the jet city ebay box damaged stuff.
^
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?