hey guys, i friggen love blackstars and was wondering what your opinion is on which blackstar is best for metal. When i say metal i mean bands like children of bodom, bullet for my valentine, trivium, that kinda harsh agressive tone that also has amazing leads. I own an ibanez rg3550, an edwards alexi and a les paul custom, none of which have emgs. Since they dont have emgs, do i need to buy a boost pedal like a maxon od808 to get into metal territory and also will the blackstar you choose also sound great at bedroom volumes? Thanks
The best Blackstar amplifiers for metal are the Series One amplifiers. They're designed with Modern Metal in mind, but they can do a lot of other things very well. Sadly, they're a bit on the pricey side. The HT-Venue series amplifiers are also very good. People bitch about the "not really all-tube" design, but they sound great and they're not too expensive. The Blackstar amplifiers are usually loud, powerful amps, but you can always turn them down. The Artisan series is the only one without a master volume control, so you might want to avoid that unless you're in a position to really cut loose with deafening levels of volume. They do sound spectacular, though.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I love blackstar amps. I feel like I can get that "Marshall" or "Mesa" sound without having to sell an arm or a leg to buy one. As far as that tone goes I would invest in an overdrive regardless of your pickup type.
My Guitars
Squire Affinity Strat
Ibanez RG 350 DX
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Ibanez AEG20E
Tradition Guitars S2000F Pro
People always gonna moan about the HT-5 being Hybrid and wotnot, but I noticed the HT-1 has the same valves as the HT-5 so, it's probably got less ss circuitry. Not that that's too important.

Ideally, you want no more than 5 watts for tube amps in the bedroom (and bear in mind Blackstars are louder than most) but theirs always "sounds good at low volumes". If you do get an Artisan or something I'd get the 15W one

Oh and Hybrid =/= bad amp
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
I have a Blackstar HT1 as my practice amp and I deliberated long and hard. I had my heart set on a Vox AC4 (I'm a bit of a Vox fanboi) but to be honest whilst I loved it's classic rock and blues tones I feel I get much more versatility out of my BS - hence why I plumped for it. There is indeed a lot of nark about this "BS not tru valve but hybrid" shite. To be honest - as a practice amp who cares. I do say as a studio practice amp I love it - and I recognise that there are tone purists who do care and fair enough. However, for my application, I love the plug in and play aspect, versatility and with my Pod X3 I get wonderful practice sessions out of it. I have a Laney TT50 combo as a main amp for my needs and I play a large range of tunes.

I feel I waffled there, but seriously for around 170 quid you can't go wrong. The Series one is a great shout but there are others around. But you'll pay a whack for them.

Don't know what your budget is so that would help. A pedal will def help if you heading toward the higher gain end of the spectrum.
I just love this "I want Children Of Bodom or Lamb of God tone at bedroom levels" sorta stuff.
And I want the F1 racing car experience at walking speeds.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by guitarpatrick66
Am I the only one that thinks Blackstar is pretty overrated on this site?

A lot of things are overrated on this and every other site.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
A lot of things are overrated on this and every other site.

True. Ha I remember when the 6505 112 combo was reccommended for everything, anymore it seems like a lot of folks are saying its not that great and bla bla bla.
At low volumes you'd totally want the HT-5, anything bigger than that and you won't get the full experience. Like Cathbard said, it's the whole "F1 experience at walking speeds" situation. 5 watts is more than enough. You could even gig with it if it got mic'd up. Buy a boost people, maybe even just a Digitech Bad Monkey, and you'll be set. They have a really full sound for such a little amp.
Member of the Laney Cult
Like pretty much everybody has said, you won't be able to really push an amp more powerful than 5 watts in a bedroom. And even then it'll be pretty damn loud. The HT-1 would be best for bedroom levels. And you don't need EMGs to get into metal territory. The HT-1 will do a passable bedroom metal tone on its own, and if you put a tubescreamer in front of it, you'll be set.
Quote by guitarpatrick66

In general they are overrated.

On this site? In GG&A?
I wouldnt say so they're pretty hated by a lot of people here due to the diode clipping and all tube advertising shenanigans .
Personally i've never heard a blackstar i've loved the tone of but thats just my opinion.

Also people that go on about bedroom volumes and good metal tones with the ht1/ht5 are full of it. A bigger high gain amp turned down will sound better ALWAYS then an ht1/ht5 for those tones at the same volume. They're just better.
Last edited by coolstoryangus at Jul 8, 2011,
I was thinking of getting the HT-40 - may replace the Orange TH30 (great but unreliable so far). I might keep the TH-30.... depends on the loose change situation...
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
It uses solid state clipping diodes/opamps etcetc in the preamp. I am not that techy but basically they're hybrids like the jcm900s drs etc. The distortion is more like a distortion pedal basically.. So its kinda false advertising on the ht series because "All-tube" is written everywhere.
^ the technical explanation is "shenanigans"

Quote by Cathbard
I just love this "I want Children Of Bodom or Lamb of God tone at bedroom levels" sorta stuff.
And I want the F1 racing car experience at walking speeds.

ahahahaha
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by coolstoryangus
In general they are overrated.

On this site? In GG&A?
I wouldnt say so they're pretty hated by a lot of people here due to the diode clipping and all tube advertising shenanigans .
Personally i've never heard a blackstar i've loved the tone of but thats just my opinion.

Also people that go on about bedroom volumes and good metal tones with the ht1/ht5 are full of it. A bigger high gain amp turned down will sound better ALWAYS then an ht1/ht5 for those tones at the same volume. They're just better.

+1

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by guitarpatrick66

nope. i'm surprised they are even rated.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
You can't push a 5w amp in the bedroom. I can't even push my 2w in the bedroom, even when using a pretty inefficient speaker. I don't get why people recommend small amps for "pushing them" at low levels, it's complete bollocks and suggests they have not tried any low-wattage amps.

How well an amp can be used at low volumes depends a lot on the actual circuit at hand; there's 10w amps that need to be turned up really loud to sound nice, there's amps that go from zero rip-your-ears-off on the volume dial with nothing in between, and there's 100w monsters that can be turned down to apartment-friendly volumes and still sound good. It all depends on the specific amp.

EDIT: Keep in mind a lot of the awesomness of guitar tone comes from sheer volume, too. I'd argue that a good metal tone at bedroom-levels doesn't exist. At least I have not heard an amp that I thought was doing it for me at whisper-volumes. Depends a bit on ones standards, I guess.

Now what amp will be the most sensible option for you is hard to say... depends a lot on where you are located and how much cash you can spend.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Jul 8, 2011,