I'm playing things like As I Lay Dying, august burns red, parkway drive, Metallica, Silverstein, ADTR, etc. Basically I play everything from 80's metal to post-hardcore and metalcore (but mostly metalcore). I have a line 6 valve 212 MKII. I'm in a band and the amp simply isn't loud enough to be heard over the drums. I've been looking at the peavey 5150 II/ 6505+. I'm not sure if I should go for a 212 halfstack with an attenuator, or the 112 60w 6505+ combo. Also, someone on craigslist wants to trade a Bugera 333xl with a 412 cab for my combo. It seems like a good deal, but I'm not so sure about it for what I'm playing. What should I do? Thanks.
Gear

Schecter C-1+

LTD MH-350NT

Line 6 Valve 212 MkII
If you are in a loud metalcore band and your 40-watt valve 2x12 cannot be heard over the drummer, then you had better look at a 100-watt amp; quite possibly with a 4x12 cabinet. That 60-watt 6505+ with 1x12 isn't going to be much, if any, louder than what you've got. I take it you are not running your amplifiers through the P.A.?

The Bugera 333xl amps had some serious QC issues that - it is claimed - have been fixed. You'd need to make sure the Bugera amp in question isn't one of the older models. The 333xl is supposed to be Bugera's take on the Peavey JSX amp, which has plenty of gain for metal and metalcore.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Really seems like a good deal, its kinda hard to find your tone with a 333xl, but if you take the time and maybe add something like a tubescreamer or something in front of it, you should get the perfect tone for what you're playing
Peavey 6505+ half stack with a tube screamer in you pedal chain. Great for all types of metal. Tried it at a local shop, fell in love. Definitely on my wish list.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Mic'd up it would be fine at a gig. For practice, I can't hear myself and neither can the drummer or my other guitarist. Would a 6505+ halfstack be suitable for in-home use as well if I put an attenuator on it?
Gear

Schecter C-1+

LTD MH-350NT

Line 6 Valve 212 MkII
Quote by iEvil
Mic'd up it would be fine at a gig. For practice, I can't hear myself and neither can the drummer or my other guitarist. Would a 6505+ halfstack be suitable for in-home use as well if I put an attenuator on it?

With an attenuator it should be fine for in-home use.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
People go nuts about attenuators, but on an amplifier with a master volume you don't need it. You're not trying to get power tube distortion at band practice. Just turn the master volume down. It might not have all the rich tone you get when you're playing louder, but it will sound just fine and you won't be served with an eviction notice. If you can handle the cost (and I've seen the halfstack on sale at GC lately for around US$1,200.00 or thereabouts), a 6505+ or 6534+ halfstack sounds like it would suit your needs perfectly.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Last edited by FatalGear41 at Jul 7, 2011,
my 50 watt Valveking crushes over my drummer at 4, and she's frickin loud drummer. and this is just going through the one 12" speaker. we also play in a pop-punk/hardcore band, so everything's pretty loud and high gain. I also have my mids up, so I cut through the mix fairly well. maybe that's your issue, TS, you may need more mids to cut through.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
an antennuator is not what you would want in this situation anyway. they are used to get power tube breakup at sligtly less then mind boggling volumes. most of the music u want to play will require preamp distortion.
get the 6506 half stack and use the MASTER VOLUME
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right