My girlfriend just took up playing the skin flute and I must say I'm enjoying it. After work I'll give her lessons and then we'll toke up after. I highly recommend it. Lessons are long and hard, but in the end she'll receive the status of creme de la creme. Sometimes I join in with a chorus of oohs and ahhs and as she handles the flute. The only problem is in the end instead of applause all she gets is spat on. Oh well, I'll just have to teach her to play my organ next time. Or we could form an ensemble with her friends, who could play a trio of flutes my friends will bring. We will all sing and dance horizontally and have a jolly ol time.
The Flute is the most virtusosic instrument in the Woodwind family. Traditional flutes made of wood were used up to abou the 19th century and had a mellower tone than todays standard flutes made of silver/gold/platinum, whose tone is purer and more brilliant.

The lower register sounds somewhat warm, when not covered by other instruments and notes with lower overtones. The tone gradually brightens the further you go up the first octave of the flutes range.

The second octave of the flutes range is clear and serene, the third octave being brilliant and thin up to around a high A or Bb. C# and above will sound shrill and is not often used (instances where it is it is doubled by piccolo).

No woodwind instrument surpasses the flute in agility/ virtuosity. You can perform all manner of fast scales/arpeggios on the Flute.

There's the option of a regular Flute, Alto Flute, Piccolo... The alto Flute seldom being used in modern orchestras and having an extended lower range than a normal flute. A piccolo is similar to the flute but being nearly half the size of the flute it's notes sound an octave higher than written and is suited to higher sounding passages.
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Jul 7, 2011,
Quote by griffRG7321
The Flute is the most virtusosic instrument in the Woodwind family. Traditional flutes made of wood were used up to abou the 19th century and had a mellower tone than todays standard flutes made of silver/gold/platinum, whose tone is purer and more brilliant.

The lower register sounds somewhat warm, when not covered by other instruments and notes with lower overtones. The tone gradually brightens the further you go up the first octave of the flutes range.

The second octave of the flutes range is clear and serene, the third octave being brilliant and thin up to around a high A or Bb. C# and above will sound shrill and is not often used (instances where it is it is doubled by piccolo).

No woodwind instrument surpasses the flute in agility/ virtuosity. You can perform all manner of fast scales/arpeggios on the Flute.

There's the option of a regular Flute, Alto Flute, Piccolo... The alto Flute seldom being used in modern orchestras and having an extended lower range than a normal flute. A piccolo is similar to the flute but being nearly half the size of the flute it's notes sound an octave higher than written and is suited to higher sounding passages.

I dunno but something tells me you missed the point of my little story
Quote by tostrhed
I'd like to hire her for a private show...

Sorry but she's booked as the opening act to the next Lady Gaga concert
Quote by gypsyblues
I dunno but something tells me you missed the point of my little story

If your girlfriend isn't getting applauded for her playing it is probably because when playing with a full chorus a single flute is going to have a hard time being heard. Your along the right lines thinking about getting your flutist friends to come in and reinforce the woodwind section. A standard symphony orchestra will have at least 3 Flutes.
Quote by gypsyblues
My girlfriend just took up playing the skin flute and I must say I'm enjoying it. After work I'll give her lessons and then we'll toke up after. I highly recommend it. Lessons are long and hard, but in the end she'll receive the status of creme de la creme. Sometimes I join in with a chorus of oohs and ahhs and as she handles the flute. The only problem is in the end instead of applause all she gets is spat on. Oh well, I'll just have to teach her to play my organ next time. Or we could form an ensemble with her friends, who could play a trio of flutes my friends will bring. We will all sing and dance horizontally and have a jolly ol time.

I came to make a sex joke about the thread title, now i feel that would seem insignificant
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Quote by griffRG7321
If your girlfriend isn't getting applauded for her playing it is probably because when playing with a full chorus a single flute is going to have a hard time being heard. Your along the right lines thinking about getting your flutist friends to come in and reinforce the woodwind section. A standard symphony orchestra will have at least 3 Flutes.

I still can't tell if you're joking or not.
Quote by gypsyblues

Wow, seriously?

Less than 3 flutes in an orchestra really won't cut it, I suggest trying it out with that trio one time.
More than 3 flutes? We're not all Mahler guys, come on... TS, I think two would be acceptable but I agree that one alone would never cut through.
Quote by gypsyblues

I'm not joking, all the information I've posted is correct.

I've not heard of the Skin flute before, maybe you mean the Shakuhachi japanese flute? It can be heard in the 'carnivore' theme to Jurassic park.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zYwYlsE-xc

At 0:18

Is that the one you mean?
Last edited by griffRG7321 at Jul 7, 2011,
Quote by griffRG7321
I've not heard of the Skin flute before

She's blowing all right, but that's not a reed!
Nothing that is worthwhile in life will ever come easy.