Hello, I'm working on an album right now, and up until this point, I've always recorded with a microphone connected to my PC. From their i layered the sounds and mixed them and so forth. But my mic broke, (rolled over it in my chair... ) and I want to try plugging into my PC directly. Does anyone know how to do this? Is it even possible for PC's to sound like a guitar amp? I have seen guitar/usb cables on the internet from anywhere to $15-$120. Why is there such a price disparity? I'm totally new to plugging into a computer for recording, if anyone has any experience or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.
It'll sound like absolute crap if you try to record direct into your mic or line-in jack. You need an audio interface.
^^ this...
Quote by arsonite
I flash my ridiculously white teeth at you in contempt Sir!

Quote by son_of_bodom

OT: variety is the spice of life, my genitals don't discriminate on the basis of religion.
Not to mention the Analog to Digital Converter (ADC) circuit for most integrated sound cards are not meant for high quality recording. They are just there to be there. Spend at least $100 on an interface and make something you can be proud of.

"Just because it's there doesn't mean it'll work."
From my experience don't do that unless you have to...
It would be very glamorous to be reincarnated as a great big ring on Liz Taylor's finger?!

Dear Noah,
We could have sworn you said the ark wasn't leaving till 5.
Sincerely, Unicorns --> I wonder....
Get a Line 6 Toneport. You should be able to get by with just a UX1 - it comes with software that is like amp and effects simulators. I think the UX1 is like 100$ and very well worth it.
I have a UX2 too, and my god, one of the best investments you can make, they have forums for user made presets., if you can invest in a few of the packs for amps, that helps too, I don't have them but I can get decent tones.
Poop.

Yes, poop.
I was reading your comments. Look at this, this is a Line 6 thing you were talking about. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/line-6-pod-studio-gx-with-pod-farm My question is, Can i upload drum tracks, or does it have a drum machine? Can I use this software to make full songs? with vocals too? How can I record vocals into a PC? Do i need a microphone with a 1/4 jack and plug it into this?
Quote by katalyzt13
Get a Line 6 Toneport. You should be able to get by with just a UX1 - it comes with software that is like amp and effects simulators. I think the UX1 is like 100$ and very well worth it.
I have the UX1 and wish I'd spent my money on something else. It doesn't have phantom power and you're very limited in terms of inputs. if TS is set on a audio interface, I recommend at least the UX2 so the phantom power is there for condenser mics.

I say, spend a bit more money on a small mixer and a condenser mic. It's less limiting and imo better value in the long run.
Last edited by psyks at Jul 7, 2011,
Quote by MattAnderson111
I have a UX2 too, and my god, one of the best investments you can make, they have forums for user made presets., if you can invest in a few of the packs for amps, that helps too, I don't have them but I can get decent tones.

link to the forums? Didn't know about that
AMERICA
AMERICA
AMERICA
I have a roland 30W amp and I can make it sound better than any modelled amp through gearbox/guitar rig/amplitube. Audio interfaces are a short term fix.
How would i go about adding drums to my songs like this? Does this software have some sort of "Beat Finder" so i can snyc up the songs perfectly?
which DAW are you using? For good drum smaples, you should try EZdrummer or superior drummer.
whats 'DAW" ? right now i use Hydrogen for my drums. Normally, i have the drums play through my headphones, while i play the guitar part hooked up to the mic, then they are basically snyced up when i mix the two parts.
Digital Audio Workstation. Reaper is personally my favorite, it's not technically free, but they don't cripple the software if you don't buy it, and there are no restrictions with if you don't buy it. Also, Addictive Drummer (which costs a few hundred bucks ) is a good drum program, but can be...found...on the internet.
Poop.

Yes, poop.
'digital audio workstation', like protools or fruity loops. Software that you use to record and mix. I think fruity loops is free.

What exactly is your current recording setup? (before you broke your mic)
So if i were to buy the Line 6 adapter, I would need some more mixing/recording software in order to make my song, or does the Line 6 stuff come with the software i need to make my songs?

I've been using Audacity to Mix my music. I import my drum tracks, guitar tracks, and vocal tracks there.
Pretty much. If you go for the audio interface, it'll integrate into most DAWs. Download some demos and see which one you like.

For a basic recording setup for guitar/vocals, you'll need (imo)
-usb audio interface with
1/4″ jack guitar input
XLR input (preferably with phantom power)
software amp modelling (like gearbox or aplitube)
-DAW (like reaper or fruity loops)

or

-small usb mixer with
line inputs
XLR with phantom power
an XLR mic
-DAW like above

It may seem like a little much, but I'd go with the second option. As you get more gear, you'll outgrow any audio interface with amp modelling. Your call though.

(Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't an audio interface like a toneport UX1 just a single channel mixer with a preamp and a jacked up price?)
Quote by dopelope
The preamps in an audio interface are supposed to be better than your typical mixer. They are supposed to give better quality audio since they are made for connecting and recording on a computer.
Ok, thanks.
Quote by toothless tim
How would i go about adding drums to my songs like this? Does this software have some sort of "Beat Finder" so i can snyc up the songs perfectly?

You HAVE to record with a metronome, otherwise you might as well not add drums. I usually create the drum track after I have an original idea just to get a good foundation. Then, I record while playing the drum track to get a good interaction between the drums and my original idea.
You must consider, the faster the sample-rate, the better the interpolation. Analog to Digital Converters like the ones used in USB audio interfaces sample the signal at a given rate "connecting the dots every time it samples". Therefore, it WILL sound different than what you hear through your amplifier.

Wherever the input signal lies at the given instant, the interface picks a point and creates a straight line to the next point. The best rule to follow is Nyquist's sampling theorem.

Sample at 2x the highest frequency of interest. You ear can hear up to 20kHz, therefore Nyquist states you need a 40kHz sample rate to reproduce the original 20kHz signal.

I haven't even discussed the number of bits.. Say you have a 24b/s (b is bits, B is Bytes.. 1Byte= 8bits). Every second, the interface has 24 levels that the signal can be represented by. If you think about it, that's not a lot at all. 5Volts/24 levels = 208mV per division.. When the interface picks a point, it will find the closest increment that can represent the signal. But, there are only 24 possibilities!!!