I'm 20 and I play lead guitar in a metal band with guys in their 40's. I met the other guitarist at a local show one night who i knew from a band he was previously in. We talked for a while and found that we like similar bands (judas priest, iron maiden) and he told me he has a drummer and a singer lined up. He also mentioned that he knows people who book shows all around the area and can even get us endorsed by a local guitar string company once we play out. Here's the thing: we met up for a jam and worked on a few riffs. He loved the riffs i came up with for the rest of the song, but his technique is horrible and very sloppy so whenever i show him a riff, i have to go step by step every time! Even then, he still has trouble getting some of the picking patterns down. Every week we meet for rehearsals (still just him and i) he still doesn't have the riffs down and i'm always having to show him the same things at slow speeds. It's starting to feel like i'm giving guitar lessons instead of playing in a band, and i'm starting to feel like i'm wasting my time with this. Sometimes he'll try to tell me a riff is too technical and i think he's just saying it because he doesn't want to learn it. I'm actually stumped as to how someone who has played longer than me can suck so bad! We haven't even played with the drummer yet and theres already problems. I guess my question is, do you think it's worth it to stick it out? If we can become endorsed and have shows booked opening for some decent bands? (Faster Pussycat, UFO) I figure it would at least put me out there, but i think i can do this with my own band if i wanted to. Also i'm really more of a technical player into bands like Necrophagist, Obscura, and Wintersun. What's your opinion?

P.S. Sorry for the long paragraph, just felt like venting a bit
Quote by kylewylde
I'm 20 and I play lead guitar in a metal band with guys in their 40's. I met the other guitarist at a local show one night who i knew from a band he was previously in. We talked for a while and found that we like similar bands (judas priest, iron maiden) and he told me he has a drummer and a singer lined up.

He also mentioned that he knows people who book shows all around the area and can even get us endorsed by a local guitar string company once we play out. Here's the thing: we met up for a jam and worked on a few riffs. He loved the riffs i came up with for the rest of the song, but his technique is horrible and very sloppy so whenever i show him a riff, i have to go step by step every time!

Even then, he still has trouble getting some of the picking patterns down. Every week we meet for rehearsals (still just him and i) he still doesn't have the riffs down and i'm always having to show him the same things at slow speeds. It's starting to feel like i'm giving guitar lessons instead of playing in a band, and i'm starting to feel like i'm wasting my time with this. Sometimes he'll try to tell me a riff is too technical and i think he's just saying it because he doesn't want to learn it.

I'm actually stumped as to how someone who has played longer than me can suck so bad! We haven't even played with the drummer yet and theres already problems. I guess my question is, do you think it's worth it to stick it out? If we can become endorsed and have shows booked opening for some decent bands? (Faster Pussycat, UFO)

I figure it would at least put me out there, but i think i can do this with my own band if i wanted to. Also i'm really more of a technical player into bands like Necrophagist, Obscura, and Wintersun. What's your opinion?

P.S. Sorry for the long paragraph, just felt like venting a bit

I did UG a favor there. haha
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
Quote by bluekirby7
I did UG a favor there. haha

you really did.

i think you should give it another few weeks before you quit the band see how things go, it takes a while for two guitarists to connect so you will have to be patient!
Irons
Well. You could always write the riffs down for him, so he can practice it at home. Sometimes it can be hard to remember a riff if it's too complicated.
Quote by ethanwhufc
you really did.

i think you should give it another few weeks before you quit the band see how things go, it takes a while for two guitarists to connect so you will have to be patient!

Yeah but i know other guitarists closer to my age that can get things down easier. Plus i'm starting to tire of the 80s metal sound.