Page 1 of 2
#1
Whenever I come to UG, I usually check the front page news stories first. Many times, there will be a headline such as "Radiohead Are 'Splitting Up'" or "Korn Are Too Loud". These headlines treat band names as if they are plural when they aren't. Shouldn't they read "Radiohead is 'Splitting Up'" or "Korn Is Too Loud"? Since the band is being addressed as a single entity. It's not a huge deal, just something I notice often and I wonder why it is the way it is.
#2
they're referring to the band members
e-married to the most fabulous Fashionista ever, Rarity
e-mom to Scootaloo, somehow
Quote by dawgeth321
Let's warm our wings, fly through the clouds, and dance in the sky, mon capitaine.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Spit is a milf

UG 8-BIT ALBUM
SoundCloud
#3
You could address them as a single unit or as a group, it doesn't really matter. I don't mind it.

I think it's time we blow this scene
Get everybody and the stuff together
Okay
3
2
1
Let's jam


BLAAAAAAAM THIS CRAP
#4
I personally think it sounds better to say 'are'.
Hull City A.F.C

Quote by Thrashtastic15
crunkym toy diuckl;ess ass ****igkjn ****** **** bitch ass pussy ****er douchecanoe ****** **** you s omn cnt you lieet le biutch
#5
This is the really the problem you have with UG's articles?
It's not the ridiculously misleading titles or the fact that every other one is something like "What Slash ate for lunch today"?
#7
No. It's just you, TS. Get some help.
Quote by Ville Valo
Hurting Linde is like hurting Bambi. You just can't do it.





You should click on those, I think.



I like My Little Pony. Come at me, bro.
#8
The proper verb is "are," TS. A band is usually made up of multiple people, so it should be referred to as such.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
#9
The band isn't an entity, it's made up of individuals. Like sports teams. Do you refer to them as an impersonal entity?
If I were to say "England is shit" people would assume I refer to the country. If I said "England are shit" you'd assume I meant one of our sports teams.
#10
Radiohead best not be splitting up

But yeah, a band is a collection of people, so plural is used
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
#11
I for one think it may be correct to say Korn IS or Radiohead IS. If I'm not mistaken, is it any different than saying "Gibson Guitars is making a Mike Portnoy Signature Model." As opposed to "The people at Gibson Guitars are excited about the new Portnoy model." In the first, the auxillary verb "is" is referring to the company, which is a group of individuals. Whereas the second sentence auxillary verb "are" refers to "people." So I think you are correct, but it doesn't bug me.
*Note- I do know that Gibson will not make a Portnoy model. I just love making stupid sentences.
#13
I agree with TS.

A band with a singular name is saying that they, together, are one singular band (U2) while a band with a plural name (the Hives) are saying that each member embodies that name whether they are a whole or not(a Hive...?)

Also, bands in articles such as UG's are referred to as a whole and not the individuals.
#14
Quote by institutions
This is the really the problem you have with UG's articles?
It's not the ridiculously misleading titles or the fact that every other one is something like "What Slash ate for lunch today"?


This. for the love of ****, this.
#15
Quote by Skullivan

*Note- I do know that Gibson will not make a Portnoy model. I just love making stupid sentences.


you think that will stop people taking you literally?
#16
I just figured it would be correct to refer to it as a singular on the grounds that it is. If you were addressing the band members, wouldn't you say "The members of Iron Maiden are great!" Instead of "Iron Maiden is great!" I don't see why it wouldn't follow the rules that every other word follows when talking about singular/plural. Saying "The Eagles are my favorite band!" would be correct because Eagles is plural. Doesn't make sense to me.
#17
Quote by institutions
This is the really the problem you have with UG's articles?
It's not the ridiculously misleading titles or the fact that every other one is something like "What Slash ate for lunch today"?


And I don't even bother reading the comments, but I find the titles entertaining, like a guessing game of what the article will REALLY be about!
#20
Quote by Icehawk217
Using "Are" is British English.

Using "Is" is American English.

/thread


See, I thought this might be the culprit. Thanks!
#21
Quote by SilverSpurs616
you think that will stop people taking you literally?

I didn't know enough people on UG took me literally
#22
Quote by Das_Skittles
The proper verb is "are," TS. A band is usually made up of multiple people, so it should be referred to as such.

D-...do you realize the assbackwardsness of what you said? A band is made up... Singular. If it were in reference to "the members of ____," then I would be inclined to agree. Only in the even that the band's name that suggests the plural, i.e. The Strokes, would it be fitting to use the plural.
#23
Quote by TimboSlice
D-...do you realize the assbackwardsness of what you said? A band is made up... Singular. If it were in reference to "the members of ____," then I would be inclined to agree. Only in the even that the band's name that suggests the plural, i.e. The Strokes, would it be fitting to use the plural.


> A football team is made up of multiple people.

> Team Name ARE the best team in the world.

Are is the correct way to say it.

> A band is made of multiple people

> Band Name ARE the best band in the world.
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
#24
Quote by Vauxite
> A football team is made up of multiple people.

> Team Name ARE the best team in the world.

Are is the correct way to say it.

> A band is made of multiple people

> Band Name ARE the best band in the world.


Most sports team names are generally plural.

New York Yankees

Green Bay Packers

Miami Dolphins

the Cubs
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.



Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
#25
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Most sports team names are generally plural.

New York Yankees

Green Bay Packers

Miami Dolphins

the Cubs


Tottenham Hotspur ARE...
ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
#26
I thought the band contains a plural of people and therefore they are splitting up. It's hard to split from yourself if you yourself is one piece and a singular entity.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
#28
Quote by Weaponized
Wait a second... this can't be true!


Korn is too loud?

you need to turn the volume up... a lot! then you'll understand
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th
#29
If somebody goes
"What do you think of Radiohead?"
You don't reply with
"They is really good." You'd say "they are". So "they are splitting up. Radiohead are splitting up."
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect


#30
Quote by institutions
This is the really the problem you have with UG's articles?
It's not the ridiculously misleading titles or the fact that every other one is something like "What Slash ate for lunch today"?


Yeah, TS wtf, there's this problem and you pick on the use of grammar? As a collective entity, I'd say it's fine to say "Band ARE doing this that and the other", too.
#31
Radiohead Are Breaking Up?!!?!?!
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
#33
Quote by institutions
This is the really the problem you have with UG's articles?
It's not the ridiculously misleading titles or the fact that every other one is something like "What Slash ate for lunch today"?

this, this a thousand times this.
The playground of the world
#34
Quote by institutions
This is the really the problem you have with UG's articles?
It's not the ridiculously misleading titles or the fact that every other one is something like "What Slash ate for lunch today"?


The fact that people have issues with UG news at all is embarrassing. Seriously, get a life people. Until it becomes News of the World, relax.
#36
It's British vs. American syntax.

In America, we refer to the band as a singular unit. eg. "Linkin Park is the shittiest band in the universe"

while in the UK, it would go: "I disagree, Nickelback are far worse."

But even then, an american wouldn't say "No the Jonas Brothers is worse than dick cheese on a saturday morning" because the name is a plural.

and a UKer wouldn't say "Screw that, Justin Bieber are barely even music" for the exact opposite reason as above.


geddit?
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22


every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking


#37
I believe both are acceptable.

On the other hand, I'll never understand why we say "The Radioheads" or "The Motley Crues" in Italian.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.


Listening to: Igor Stravinsky


You throw like a girl. A girl who is great at baseball and has a fiery passion for the sport.
#38
Quote by Skullivan
I for one think it may be correct to say Korn IS or Radiohead IS. If I'm not mistaken, is it any different than saying "Gibson Guitars is making a Mike Portnoy Signature Model." As opposed to "The people at Gibson Guitars are excited about the new Portnoy model." In the first, the auxillary verb "is" is referring to the company, which is a group of individuals. Whereas the second sentence auxillary verb "are" refers to "people." So I think you are correct, but it doesn't bug me.
*Note- I do know that Gibson will not make a Portnoy model. I just love making stupid sentences.

Actually, by saying "Gibson is," you are referring to a single entity, the company. Whereas when you say "The people at Gibson are," you are referring to a group, namely the people at gibson, not the company/entity itself. A Company is not a group of individuals, as it is an entity in itself without the people.
Quote by magnus_maximus
You're whackin' one off in the toilet and you jizz on the counter?

I hope you never get a driving license.


Quote by Albino_Rhino
Dude mangoes are so good. Imagine a blowjob, but instead of the feeling being on your dick, it's on your mouth.
#39
Quote by racman92
Actually, by saying "Gibson is," you are referring to a single entity, the company. Whereas when you say "The people at Gibson are," you are referring to a group, namely the people at gibson, not the company/entity itself. A Company is not a group of individuals, as it is an entity in itself without the people.

Well my point is that "are" is referring to "people." Sorry for the confusion. And upon reading this thread, I have realized that UG users aren't very well educated in posessive nouns. I would actually be more than happy to help anyone with the understanding of these sentences.
#40
interestingly enough, i looked on Wikipedia at a few articles to see which is correct, as we all know Wikipedia is all knowing. the idea being that at the top of the page it would say "*band* is/are a Canadian band."

interestingly, it seemed it was different by nationality.

for Slayer, Anthrax, Megadeth, Cannibal Corpse and Nirvana it said "is" or "was."

for Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Carcass, and Bolt Thrower it said "are."

for Gorguts, Rush, Into Eternity, Protest the Hero, and Strapping Young Lad it said "is" or "were," but "are" for Voivod.

interesting, eh? though i only checked American, British, and Canadian bands.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Page 1 of 2