The Archtop is more expensive, so there's a good chance the archtop is a higher quality guitar. I haven't played either of those guitars, but if I was betting, my money would be on the Archtop.
none bc rich are bad guitars. just get an ibenez or a shecter.
Internet trolls are like sap in trees. sticky and annoying, but good on pancakes.
rocker222: Don't jump on the, "BC Rich are bad guitars" wagon. I own the Masterpiece Mockingbird, and love it. But if you play anything harder than lets say, Creed, you will want to switch out the pickups. But as for the guitar itself, beautiful finish, and very well balanced. Also, extremely good action on this guitar. Or mine at least. So I say get it.
so how much did you pay for it?

i payed 700 for my shecter and it sounds just as good as a high end prs
Internet trolls are like sap in trees. sticky and annoying, but good on pancakes.
BC Rich have really stepped up their quality in the last couple of years, I would have hoped the hater bandwagon was looong gone at this stage.

Looking at the specs of the two guitars, the Masterpiece appears to be Agathis while the Archtop is Mahogany. Agathis is (afaik) a low grade mahogany generally used in cheaper guitars. Archtop also has Ebony fretboard, Rockfield pickups, Grover tun...

Yeah, go with the Archtop. Can't speak for construction but the Archtop has generally better quality materials.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Last edited by GNR4EVER at Jul 7, 2011,
go for the one that feels the best otherwise make someone else make the choice for you by giving them two numbers
Quote by rocker222

ᶌῖᶌα ɭα ɌεᶌσɭƲʈιʘϰ
Quote by GNR4
Agathis is (afaik) a low grade mahogany generally used in cheaper guitars.

its cheaper because its more readily available, not because of its quality. Its used in cheaper guitars in order to be able to market them at a certain price point, not because the guitar manufacturers sat down and said "lollz, hao can we make dis gitarz be de shitty one? I know letz uze agathis because it is shitty wood and will make the guitar shitty."

the archtop is definitely a step up from the masterpiece. the archtop has better tuners, pickups, and it doesnt have those shitty block inlays. I cant tell you how much I hate inlays in general but man, block inlays absolutely reek of mental retardation.
"When losers say it's over with you know that it's a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die"
Quote by rocker222

hahahaha

I dont like BC Rich either though, you can probably get something better quality-wise and looks-wise for your money. But it is your money so I wont dictate what you do with it
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
Quote by kolonelkadat
its cheaper because its more readily available, not because of its quality. Its used in cheaper guitars in order to be able to market them at a certain price point, not because the guitar manufacturers sat down and said "lollz, hao can we make dis gitarz be de shitty one? I know letz uze agathis because it is shitty wood and will make the guitar shitty."

I'm sure it is more readily available than higher grades of mahogany and that's a part of why it's less expensive. It also happens to not sound as good. Not saying guitar manufacturers shouldn't use it in lower end guitars, I think inexpensive guitars in the marketplace are a good thing, I'm just saying there's a reason they don't use it in higher end guitars.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
I love my masterpiece. It's all preference. I own a Gibson LP Studio, and the masterpiece plays fairly well compared to it. The pups also aren't terrible. I used it live a few times for my metalcore band. I used to hate on BC RICH, but it's just the bronze series that are terrible
both are decent guitars however the archtop is the better of the 2.

agathis isn't a bad wood at all. the reason (so far) it hasn't really been used in high end guitars is that guitar players tend to be a traditional bunch and take a long time to accept anything new. the same thing was said about basswood back in the 80s but 30 years later you can find basswood used to make many high end guitars and is the prefered wood of several guitar hero types.

(off your) Rocker 222 i doubt you've ever touched a high end PRS let alone put any real time into playing one. next time please share whatever drugs you are on with the rest of us
Quote by rocker222
none bc rich are bad guitars. just get an ibenez or a shecter.

Someone needs to stop this shit
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED