Here's the deal:

I've been learning to sing correctly (online, not ideal but once I get money I'm going to get some lessons to fine tune it)

Anyway, today I thought "I wonder if I could scream-sing like Grohl." So I do it and then I stop.

It's not quite how I want it (the sound, it wasn't airy enough or something like that)

But my throat wasn't sore afterwards. It felt like I had been singing, but I didn't feel pain. Just a sort of . . . warmth I guess.

1. How do I get the scream I want? (Any Foo's song really, Bridge Burning is a good example "These are my famous last WORDS!") it has a sort of high quality, I can't explain it.

2. Is warmth normal or was that acute pain?
Well... i learned that your screams and growl are pretty much unique
why are there so many other people who sounds nearly the same?
well they took lessons or maybe they just sound very much the same

and it takes time i have trained over 6 months (but that also includes voice lessons)
or perhaps you are using wrong scream technique

and there is a another end of this problem
smoke and then scream (sometimes it will hurt) and you will notice you are getting closer too what people call scream.

o btw i am not an expert but this is what i learned and i am 18 year old so... not really an good source (at least what i think)
Last edited by Frankeer at Jul 7, 2011,
I think I know what you mean by the warmth, and if it is what I think it is, it's not a good idea to keep singing once you feel it. That's vocal fatigue there, from your vocals folds bashing against each other. Ideally your screams should feel almost as natural as your singing. You've got to experiment to get there sure, but it's about recognising the wrong techniques and avoiding them.

My main advice really would be, don't practice balls to the wall screaming. You want to slowly start introducing grit to your voice, you want to feel in complete control of what you're doing, feel comfortable at that level and then eventually start pushing the envelope a bit more.

If you try to scream like grohl straight up you're going to get very fatigued very quickly, and that fatigue can lead to damage. Also if you're practicing this kind of really heavy rock singing, I cannot stress enough the importance of maintaining good vocal health.

I've found this just recently, it's not just about drinking water when you're singing, it's about keeping your throat hydrated, infection free and well rested AT ALL TIMES, or at least as well as you can. I've been working really hard to keep my throat in top shape and it's made a huge huge difference to my stamina, I can sing longer and heavier without getting fatigued. Hope that helps!
Quote by YetAnotherMuso
I think I know what you mean by the warmth, and if it is what I think it is, it's not a good idea to keep singing once you feel it. That's vocal fatigue there, from your vocals folds bashing against each other. Ideally your screams should feel almost as natural as your singing. You've got to experiment to get there sure, but it's about recognising the wrong techniques and avoiding them.

My main advice really would be, don't practice balls to the wall screaming. You want to slowly start introducing grit to your voice, you want to feel in complete control of what you're doing, feel comfortable at that level and then eventually start pushing the envelope a bit more.

If you try to scream like grohl straight up you're going to get very fatigued very quickly, and that fatigue can lead to damage. Also if you're practicing this kind of really heavy rock singing, I cannot stress enough the importance of maintaining good vocal health.

I've found this just recently, it's not just about drinking water when you're singing, it's about keeping your throat hydrated, infection free and well rested AT ALL TIMES, or at least as well as you can. I've been working really hard to keep my throat in top shape and it's made a huge huge difference to my stamina, I can sing longer and heavier without getting fatigued. Hope that helps!

Thanks for the tips man. I'm going to get lessons when I can afford it and learn it correctly, I can sing normally with no pain at all (or warmth) so I'll keep doing that for now.