So i know what a polyrythm is and how it works etc... I have no problem playing a melody that is polyrytmic to what another instrument is playing. My problem is that i just cant play polyrythms, where i am the only one playing. I tried to do a simple 2:3 (my left hand tapping a note in groups of 2, my right in groups of 3, where they meet at the start of each bar). I tried playing this to a polyrytmic metronome on my iphone. I can switch between the two beats fast, but i just cant sync them up how did you guys who can do this, learn it? When i focus on one hand, i loose the control of the other. My instrument is guitar by the way.
I have trouble getting the first note of the phrase to land exactly on the beat. Just posting something so can keep better track of this thread. I have polyrhythm trouble too.
I don't think you'll be the only one with this problem As a drummer I can play that fairly easy. I guess you're a man, and men have more trouble doing different things at once It's not that big a deal I think if you cannot play that 2:3. Though it's fun when you finally can play it

The way I learned to play it: play the triplets with your right hand a long time (with an accent on the beat) 'till you can play the rhythm without even thinking about it. Then take out your left hand and get ready. Only mind the accents of your right hand (so just the beats) and begin playing the 8ths according to those accents. In case of failure start over again or switch hands or start with the 8ths or read further.

OR: draw 2 identical rectangles under each other. Divide one in 2 and the other in 3. Assign the upper or lower to your right and the other to your left hand. Go very slow from left to right and tap when you see line with the correct hand. Study the rhythm you get and try to speed up.

Good luck!
(if you got al that try 3:4, a LOT harder)
lalala
you have to remember that when you create polyrhthms, you are making a new rhythm, learn this rhythm. I've attached an image of how to determine what this rhythm is below.

Now, don't worry about all of that stuff, thats stuff I'm doing for a seperate project, you don't need to understand that. All you need to notice is the rhythm of the line marked "Resultant," that is the 3-against-2 rhythm.

Now, if you were to divide this rhythmic pattern into two voices (one for the right hand, and one for the left hand) you would have the following:

Now, if you practice this rhythm, slowly speading up the metronome, you will eventually work up a natural feeling of both lines. It is important to remember to KEEP THINGS SLOW, start at a very slow pace, and increase speed only very gradually.
Tool and King Crimson use a lot of polyrythms in there music. In fact I believe Frank Zappa is a does as well on one of his songs "Gee I Like your pants" he plays 27/3 (27 64th notes in the space of 3 quarter notes). He wrote a great article on polyrythms where he suggested you draw 15 dots and then draw stems coming down from every 3rd dot and a stem going upwards from every 5 and then play this to a time signature. This creates two different rythms on the same piece of music and get's you used to odd rythms in particular polyrythms. So start slow and try some exercises that focus of pr's and maybe try some music that uses poly's a bit.
Sorry I just re-read your post and realised you were talking about taping a poly rythm which will require different exercises yet again.
Quote by ibanart300
He wrote a great article on polyrythms where he suggested you draw 15 dots and then draw stems coming down from every 3rd dot and a stem going upwards from every 5 and then play this to a time signature. This creates two different rythms on the same piece of music and get's you used to odd rythms in particular polyrythms.

In case you were wondering, that's what I was doing with the other lines in the first picture I provided.
Quote by ibanart300
I didn't see that post when I was typing so I guess you submitted before me.

I know, I just didn't feel like explaining, so I was just saying if OP was curious, then you provided an explanation of it
the whole tapping of polyrhythms by yourself is crazy shit, and its the kinda shit that gets people calling you crazy when u pull it off. by that i mean both "crazy good" and "crazy like a mad cow..." if you wanna go anywhere with music u gotta make shit that doesn't take physics proffesors to like. just cuz it looks really weird and difficult on a guitar doesn't mean its gonna sound good in a song. those bands like Hella and Giraffes Giraffes are great because they make great music, not because of how mathy it is...Giraffes Giraffes has a song almost entirely in 4/4, although the other parts are pretty crazy rhythm-wise.

and i'm not accusing you of not having a good foundation, but JUST IN CASE, there's no harm in saying that IF you don't, you should work on that before doing crazy polyrhythmic tapping.
Quote by TMVATDI
the whole tapping of polyrhythms by yourself is crazy shit, and its the kinda shit that gets people calling you crazy when u pull it off. by that i mean both "crazy good" and "crazy like a mad cow..." if you wanna go anywhere with music u gotta make shit that doesn't take physics proffesors to like. just cuz it looks really weird and difficult on a guitar doesn't mean its gonna sound good in a song. those bands like Hella and Giraffes Giraffes are great because they make great music, not because of how mathy it is...Giraffes Giraffes has a song almost entirely in 4/4, although the other parts are pretty crazy rhythm-wise.

and i'm not accusing you of not having a good foundation, but JUST IN CASE, there's no harm in saying that IF you don't, you should work on that before doing crazy polyrhythmic tapping.

I can relate to what you say. Alot of bands nowadays try to be ultra-technical whitout a purpose (and theyr fans is mostly musicians). But polyrythms can sound very great it you come up whit a great riff in a catchy rythm. It feels like it moves. Bands like scale the summit have very pretty clean tapping parts in polyrythms, and to me it dont sond forced at all. So i beleave polyrythms can sound great if you dont go to complex about it.Thats why i wanna learn it.
I learned the 2:3 polyrhythm by just watched my teacher clap his hands, once you hear/see someone else do it, it's much easier.

On Steve Vais website there is a good article about how to approach even the craziest polyrhythms, check it out.
@TMVATDI: naaah, polyrhythms are actually very cool to use sometimes. Not the whole song and not some crazy polyrhythms but the 2:3 is at least worth to try out

Mind that triplets have the feeling of slowing down the music so using it in a fast paced song won't work that good, unless right before the climax
lalala
i'm a drummer, rhythm's my area of expertise...i've seen great polyrhythmic songs, i've seen great polyrhythmic tapping although its MUCH more rare, and i've seen a LOT of failed math musicians who's goals were, unfortunately, to create the craziest rhythms instead of the best sounding ones. i just doubt that when you hear someone ask on ultimate-guitar.com "i need help tapping polyrhythms" that they're gonna end up sounding very great, a huge majority of people on this site don't know how to pace themselves. i'm trying polyrhythms on drums and piano right now...even a little tapping on bass (not going very well)...and i've played/written songs with polyrhythms between different instruments, but having to LEAD a band with polyrhythmic melodic tapping on guitar is way beyond me. plus i don't have a electric or steel string guitar to practise on, my tapping's very weak on my nylon...
Quote by TMVATDI
i'm a drummer, rhythm's my area of expertise...i've seen great polyrhythmic songs, i've seen great polyrhythmic tapping although its MUCH more rare, and i've seen a LOT of failed math musicians who's goals were, unfortunately, to create the craziest rhythms instead of the best sounding ones. i just doubt that when you hear someone ask on ultimate-guitar.com "i need help tapping polyrhythms" that they're gonna end up sounding very great, a huge majority of people on this site don't know how to pace themselves. i'm trying polyrhythms on drums and piano right now...even a little tapping on bass (not going very well)...and i've played/written songs with polyrhythms between different instruments, but having to LEAD a band with polyrhythmic melodic tapping on guitar is way beyond me. plus i don't have a electric or steel string guitar to practise on, my tapping's very weak on my nylon...

I never really thought about polyrhythms with just one guitar earlier seriously but recently I found this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1VN6KpA2iQ

It seems to work.

The way I practised polyrhythms was simply writing down the patterns on a notebook and tap my legs with my hands in a polyrhythmic fashion (during school lessons obviously). 2:3 and 3:4 are a breeze for me, others... not so much... yet.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
Last edited by Flibo at Jul 15, 2011,
the easiest way ive found to learn polyrhythms is very simple.

just tap triplets on your right hand, and quarter notes on your left hand.
RH 1 + a 2 + a 3 + a 4 + a
LF 1 2 3 4

then, keep your left hand going quarter notes, and in your right hand play every OTHER note.
so in the right hand instead of:
1 + a 2 + a 3 + a 4 + a 1
do this:
1 a + 3 a + 1

see?
and it works with all polyrhythms too

EDIT: goddammit it deleted all the spaces. i had spaced them out so the nummbers lined up.

if you dont understand ask and ill explain more.
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Quote by musicTHEORYnerd
the easiest way ive found to learn polyrhythms is very simple.

just tap triplets on your right hand, and quarter notes on your left hand.
RH 1 + a 2 + a 3 + a 4 + a
LF 1 2 3 4

then, keep your left hand going quarter notes, and in your right hand play every OTHER note.
so in the right hand instead of:
1 + a 2 + a 3 + a 4 + a 1
do this:
1 a + 3 a + 1

see?
and it works with all polyrhythms too

EDIT: goddammit it deleted all the spaces. i had spaced them out so the nummbers lined up.

if you dont understand ask and ill explain more.

That is actually what my teacher taught me to do with a guitar and a metronome. It's a pretty good way of doing it.
E:-6
B:-0
G:-5
D:-6
A:-0
E:-3
To flibo: really? That's awesome haha. That is the way I've always used to teach my friends polyrhythms.

But since I learned them myself through drum lessons, it wasn't tapping and strumming, it was R L R L haha.

Thank you though, that makes me feel like I'm not such a bad teacher
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Quote by TMVATDI
I just doubt that when you hear someone ask on ultimate-guitar.com "i need help tapping polyrhythms" that they're gonna end up sounding very great

Chances are indeed low. But if there is a chance, why not take/try it? The more experience you have in music the better!

The guy just asked how to play and I explained from my experiences
Quote by TMVATDI
i'm a drummer, rhythm's my area of expertise...

mine too
lalala