I'm trying to play songs from a band that uses 7 string tuned 2 1/2 steps down: G# C# F# B E G# C#
I've tuned my guitar down and it still doesn't sound right. Help? Can someone tell me what to tune to. Oh and. I'm using a 6 string obviously.
I want to sarcastically say "buy a 7-string", but it turns out that wouldn't actually be sarcastic... Buy a 7-string. You're not going to get 7-string emulation out of a 6-string. If you do somehow, it's going to sound terrible.
Guitars: Sterling/Music Man John Petrucci Signature TRS, Epiphone SG G-310 (red)
Amps: Fender Frontman 15W
Effects: BOSS ME-25 multi-effects

Quote by Basti95
I still don't get it - therefore Kazinsal can only be better than me
That's what I've been thinking lately. Damn my favorite band for playing in such a way i cannot duplicate!
Actually, you can get the essentially the same tone out of a 6 string as a 7 string (minus of course the twiddly-ness of the highest string) if you buy right gauge of strings. However buying a 7 string would be far easier. Also, with the guitars tuned down that low, they're probably using guitars with a longer scale length than the guitar you're using, which would more than likely make your tone quite muddy.
You're not going to get 7-string emulation out of a 6-string. If you do somehow, it's going to sound terrible.

You will, just put on the correct string guages. There's no inherent difference.

Also, with the guitars tuned down that low, they're probably using guitars with a longer scale length than the guitar you're using, which would more than likely make your tone quite muddy.

This is quite likely, but it's the scale difference and string gauge that matters, not the amount of strings.
prolly will sound stupid but, i think the best way to play along on a 6 string guitar is to play the fifth of the notes played on the 7 strings low B string or transpose the riff a fifth up
It can be done. Proof ? Five Finger Death Punch does it, and I can't complain about their tone. I kinda like it.

Done it myself to my el cheapo Squier starterpack guitar once, with intonation, string gauges, truss rod tension all done and taken care of. It was fun
They use baritone and occasionally sevens last I checked. A baritone guitar is designed to tune low. The pickups are designed to work with notes that low without losing clarity, the necks are longer so as to feature longer scale length, and the strings used are essentially seven-string sets without the top string.

Using a normal electric guitar with stock pups and normal gauge strings, you cannot equal or outdo an extended range guitar in sound quality. The intonation will be off more on a short scale neck than a long scale, the pups aren't designed to handle notes that low, and the strings you would normally use couldn't go that low. You'd have to use heavier gauge strings to get that low, and even then, the intonation would be a real bitch to get right.

If you're going down to G# standard, unless you're using a long-scale neck and you have pups designed to handle notes that low, you're going to be in for some trouble. Your playing will sound muddy and the intonation will not be as correct as a seven string or a baritone guitar.
You could tune your guitar down 5 steps and lose your high e, or you could just tune down 2 1/2 steps and move notes lower that range up an octave, (Notes on the low G# lower than the 5th fret), and use enharmonics for any notes over the 5th fret.