So ive been playin bass for like 2 years now,and bought my first rig from guitar center used when i first started.I got a Hartke ha3500 350watt head,and a peavey 4x10 for 650.Just recently my cab blew,but i was planin on getting a new setup soon anyways.So since my head still works im gonna buy my cab first and need some suggestions on where to start.I play metal, bands like born of osiris,veil of maya,white chapel ect.I play an Ibanez SR700,but gonna get a 5 string soon. My budget is around 1500$ for cab and head. Im gonna need something that can last me and play small to medium venues.
Sex in cab form

or

for teh cheap but still really good Carvin

Though in reality you could just get the 210 of that and the volume output would be more than enough and much more portable

and if you want super portable I say go Orange expensive but ridiculous easy to move for what you get

and for heads (depending on what cab you get)

Most expensive of the options I'll list but my personal favorite for sound is the Orange

then I haven't heard this one but I've heard enough good things about it the GK

and again a Carvin but make sure you buy new because some of the earlier models had some reliability issues that were fixed on the most recent edition
Dude, check out my rig. It's just plain old badass. When I crank it, shit falls from the ceiling. No exaggeration! Rich, deep, full, and it will make your BONES vibrate! I played through Ampeg for 9 years. I can get an Ampeg tone out of my GK and SWR cab, but I couldn't get that GK tone out of my Ampeg. Dude, SWR Workingman's Tower used about $400-500. Mine has the same speakers as my old Ampeg 810, but it has a tweeter and my 810 didn't. Sounds incredibly clean. New GK 1001RB-II about $650-750. That's SWR WorkinMAN'S, not WorkingPRO'S. They were still an independent manufacturer then. If you get a head with bi-amp capability, make sure the cab has it, too. Might just be what I want to hear, but I think it sounds much better and more powerful when bi-amped. Granted, if you get something with a tweeter, it will have a crossover. But, a crossover on a cab is passive, while coming out of a bi-amp it's essentially active - split by a powered source. I've been playing for over 25 years, and my rig is set. I freaking LOVE it and would recommend it to absolutely anyone! Just something to chew on.
"Quick to judge. Quick to anger. Slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand-in-hand."
- Rush, "Witch Hunt"
Last edited by deeptubes at Jul 8, 2011,
Thanks for the suggestions.Ive been checking some of them out.One question what would be a better setup for what im looking for a 8x10 or like a 4x10 with a 1x15.
In all honesty neither. An 810 is really only to make you feel better about your penis size. With about 99% of venues having sound boards and full PA set up, having a large amp just isn't as necessary as it used to be. And the only real places that won't have that are some of the smaller venues for which you won't need that much volume anyway. I really don't recommend anything larger than a 410 (wellll maybe a 412) but I'd really focus on portability. If you don't have in ear monitors or the stage monitors suck, then you still need an amp that you can hear yourself on stage with but it definitely won't need to be a full setup. Those are really just for big touring bands who want to look cool on stage.
Quote by thunderbritches
In all honesty neither. An 810 is really only to make you feel better about your penis size. With about 99% of venues having sound boards and full PA set up, having a large amp just isn't as necessary as it used to be. And the only real places that won't have that are some of the smaller venues for which you won't need that much volume anyway. I really don't recommend anything larger than a 410 (wellll maybe a 412) but I'd really focus on portability. If you don't have in ear monitors or the stage monitors suck, then you still need an amp that you can hear yourself on stage with but it definitely won't need to be a full setup. Those are really just for big touring bands who want to look cool on stage.

Sounds like someone is suffering from a little penis envy. How would you know about the penis size of those who own 8x10s? Unless... you've been with a bunch of guys that have little ones and happen to have big cabs. Nice photo. I'm willing to bet mommy and daddy paid for it. Did your boyfriend take it for you? I bet he gave you your nickname. Child, you know nothing of the world. I would run circles around you.

If 99% of clubs/bars have immaculate sound setups (which anyone with real-life playing experience will tell you that is simply not the case), almost every musician would only need a pre-amp. Not every club is located relatively close to a college campus. The reason I mention this is because college kids tend to spend money club hopping like they have unlimited income. Bars/clubs located near colleges are gold mines, especially the private schools. Those businesses have the money to put in a pumping system. It's in their best interest, and they will use it every night, bands or not. People who have only been to these types of places have nothing else to compare them to. So, they draw the conclusion that all clubs are this way, based upon their minimal field experience. The rest of the world doesn't have that steady cash intake. They are often smaller, independent bars and typically only have bands on weekends. Thus, they often get some beat up rentals that have seen better days.

Trust me, I'm not some scrub. I've been in and around the business most of my 41 years. Currently, I'm a tech for a major defense contractor. I travel around the world fixing very expensive items that the military either can't or aren't qualified to fix. I'm about a year or two away from starting my own cab building business. I set up all of my basses and guitars, and I restore unique ones that are beat up. My dad is a producer and has a studio taking up the entire first floor of his 3 story beach house. Hell, if he ever has any problems that leave himbefuddled, he calls me, because I'M THE F|_|CKING MAN! Whenever The Wailers come into town, they like to hang with my pop. Once, the truck with Anston Barrett's bass gear broke down - aka Family Man. He called me up, and I let him use mine. He loves my P Elite.

Ok. Now that I feel I've put some little private school dumbass college boy in his place, back to the topic. Dude, take your bass with you and try everything. Go with what sounds best to you. Then, do a little comparison shopping online and see if you can get a better deal. Usually, that's the case. As far as the 8x10 vs 4x10, it's better to have and not need, rather than need and not have. When I was young, I had a phat 15" EV cab. But, 4 10s will move more air. 4 10s have about 2 1/2 times the surface area as a 15. So, they will move that much more air. I think the best usage for a 4x10 and 1x15 would be for if you wanted some sub. But, you would need to have a sub in that cab, as well as a head capable of transmitting those lower frequencies. My 8x10 booms, so I personally don't have a need for a sub. But, that's not to say you don't. If you use compression, you may want a sub to replace some of the boom that ends up lost. The primary drawback to an 8x10 is transportation. They're bulky and obnoxiously heavy. Mine barely fits in the back of my 4Runner. And comparitvely speaking, it's a little smaller and about 50 lbs lighter than an Ampeg. In that regard, 2 4x10s would be easier to move. Whatever you go with, make sure it's vented, or ported. Bass cabs need to breathe. When a speaker moves forward, it creates a void behind it. This void must be filled with air. If it is sealed, it will create a vacuum behind the speaker, restricting the speaker from moving freely. Of
course, this will affect a 4x10 more than a 1x15 because the 4x10 moves more air. I've never owned a good cab that wasn't vented. And, be sure pay attention to your ohms - cab(s) and head. If you need some background info, shoot me a message.

Remember, just because you don't need it now, doesn't mean you won't in the future. e.g. If you have 1 gallon of gas in your tank and it takes .9 gal to go to work and come home, do you stop for gas? Why? After all, you have enough, right? On stage, there is no such thing as too much.

Peace, brothers (yes, even you, britches). We are all family in this house called Earth. Jam on!

Sorry, guys. I don't typically do that. Got a little wound up.
"Quick to judge. Quick to anger. Slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand-in-hand."
- Rush, "Witch Hunt"
Last edited by deeptubes at Jul 9, 2011,
I'm not going to take the long approach deeptubes did.

But if you plan on playing in the DIY or underground scene (and judging by the influences you listed you probably will) where they don't have those sound systems then a 8x10 or another large speaker combination would be justifiable.

I have the same head but with a Hartke vx 4x10 and a Trace Elliot 15 and it's plenty loud for me at the moment.
Last edited by matt-attack at Jul 9, 2011,
Deep tubes is possibly having a bad night.Take his advice,but don't take his ego.
Personally,for me,I found a second hand 8x10 that was the same price as the average second hand 4x10.
An 8x10 isn't irrelevant entirely in this day and age.Sometimes the power it delivers is just what it takes to get the right feeling to put on a great performance,or give an impact on the audience.
In a live sense,the sound isn't quite captured,but when you mic and 8x10 in a studio.Wow.
But if your one of those people that wheels an 8x10 along to a show,and then bypasses it with a D.I,that's when you really need to get a smaller amp.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by deeptubes
Sounds like someone is suffering from a little penis envy. How would you know about the penis size of those who own 8x10s? Unless... you've been with a bunch of guys that have little ones and happen to have big cabs. Nice photo. I'm willing to bet mommy and daddy paid for it. Did your boyfriend take it for you? I bet he gave you your nickname. Child, you know nothing of the world. I would run circles around you.

If 99% of clubs/bars have immaculate sound setups (which anyone with real-life playing experience will tell you that is simply not the case), almost every musician would only need a pre-amp. Not every club is located relatively close to a college campus. The reason I mention this is because college kids tend to spend money club hopping like they have unlimited income. Bars/clubs located near colleges are gold mines, especially the private schools. Those businesses have the money to put in a pumping system. It's in their best interest, and they will use it every night, bands or not. People who have only been to these types of places have nothing else to compare them to. So, they draw the conclusion that all clubs are this way, based upon their minimal field experience. The rest of the world doesn't have that steady cash intake. They are often smaller, independent bars and typically only have bands on weekends. Thus, they often get some beat up rentals that have seen better days.

Trust me, I'm not some scrub. I've been in and around the business most of my 41 years. Currently, I'm a tech for a major defense contractor. I travel around the world fixing very expensive items that the military either can't or aren't qualified to fix. I'm about a year or two away from starting my own cab building business. I set up all of my basses and guitars, and I restore unique ones that are beat up. My dad is a producer and has a studio taking up the entire first floor of his 3 story beach house. Hell, if he ever has any problems that leave himbefuddled, he calls me, because I'M THE F|_|CKING MAN! Whenever The Wailers come into town, they like to hang with my pop. Once, the truck with Anston Barrett's bass gear broke down - aka Family Man. He called me up, and I let him use mine. He loves my P Elite.

Ok. Now that I feel I've put some little private school dumbass college boy in his place, back to the topic.

Put me in my place? Put ME in my place? Unlike you I'm not going to be a total jerk and sit here and insult you for all that B.S. you just ranted on. I was simply stating my opinion of clubs I've seen and played in, which by the way are well away from my "private school." I've seen a 115 or 210 even on terrible house systems that had more than enough volume on loud metal gigs to be heard at the back of the venue. It was my opinion and I hold to it, I don't care if you've got 85 years in the industry until I can legitimately find a need for an 810, I won't buy one.

And now on to you. You may have a lot of years in the industry but you are a jerk. You're little peace offering at the end of your rant I will accept but it is guys like you who make a lot of younger guys want to give up on the industry. I mean you are a real tool. Which given your experience, I would hope you would be a nice guy who would offer a lot of more insightful and helpful information without being a total dick about it.

Oh and as for me being a "private school dumbass college boy," my tuition is funded completely by grants and scholarship because I can't afford it otherwise and I maintained a 4.0 in high school and a 3.5 in one of the tougher engineering programs in the country. I have worked for everything I have ever received and take care of it very well. Speaking of my education, I hope you stay in the industry for a good 15 more years, because within the next 7, my education which you so blatantly insult will lead me to be your boss some day. You know what I will do with that? I will give you nice benefits and bonuses to make sure you can take care of your family. I will give you easy assignments making sure you won't be away from home too long. Why? Because unlike you I'm a nice guy, and if I feel I'm right and another is wrong I wouldn't be a jerk to them and I like to see even my enemies do well because cruelty and shortness will get you no where.
Quote by deeptubes
*pointless meandering rant*

TS, if you're in it for the brootalz--want to look cool on stage and give your listeners tinnitus, go for the 8*10 standard. It's a rock standard for a reason--it's a sound people know to expect and it sure adds to the mythos that gets people to go to shows. I don't say that in a patronizing way--looks matter as much as sound for a lot of people playing music, so you do probably get the most image millage out of the old fridge.

If you want to save yourself a lot of pain in the ass from hauling around a fridge (and the 75lb amp if you go the svt route with that) without any roadies, I say downsize a bit.

1) you'll never find a good reason to squeeze the volume out of an 8*10 that you can't get out of a 4*10 , even when your amp is playing the role of both monitor and FOH bass at some ill-equipped bar.

2) I'm dead serious about the pain of hauling. I love my 2x15 cab, but I don't take it to most shows simply because it really sucks to haul around. A 2x10 on a tilt-back stand works fine for stage volume so, unless I'm at a place without a PA, that's all I bring most of the time and my back loves me for it. I have a feeling you probably want to be louder on stage than I am, and a 4x10 can definitely handle that.

3)Let your ears be the guide if you like the sound of the combination, but IME a 1x15 isn't even audible enough to add anything when paired with an efficient 4x10 cab--you'll only hear the 4x10 anyway, so there's no point in getting a second cab to go with it.
Spot on britches. I just read that and say something, but you've put it across well from ypur own corner.

And do we still really live in a world where insinuating someone is gay is an insult? Even my 14 year old brother and his friends don't do that anymore.
That is really similar to the cab I recommended at the top in my first post, just with different drivers resulting in the heritage being a little bit lighter but just as capable. If you like it I say go for it man, you'll be hard pressed to find really any other 410's that would really outshine that one.

As for the frequency response, 42hz is your low E string and 28hz is your low B, and though the specs only say it goes down to 28hz (which is much lower than many cabs to start with) it should be able to handle lower frequencies fine, you'll just lose some volume.
I would just try a 5 string off the wall at GC. mine always has at least 1 or 2 ibanez 5ers there and it isn't a big one.
no sir away a papaya war is on