Just bought my first tube amp, Mesa Stiletto Ace 1x12, and I don't really know how to set it up. I'm assuming the pre-amp tubes are already installed because they weren't shipped separately, but as for the two EL34 an the 5U4 rectifier, which way should the tubes be facing when I install them? Or does it not matter?

edit: I got it used from Guitar Center, if that matters.
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

Last edited by Danjo's Guitar at Jul 7, 2011,
it is pretty rare for amps to come with the tubes not installed.

but if you do need to install the, there is a "guide key" to make sure they only fit one way. usually the slots they go into are labeled with which tube goes where.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Well the EL34's and the rectifier weren't installed. Alright, I guess I'll just put them in then....?
Quote by Trowzaa
what specs is your pc? like how much ram?

Quote by Hydra150
[IMG]http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large-5/three-rams-steve-mckinzie.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by eGraham
3 ram, nice

If the power and rectifier tubes weren't installed, I'd try to see if you can see the preamp tubes... it might suggest additional costs to buy preamp tubes separately.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
line up the pins... they should only really go in one way
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've seen a few Mesas in the last year or so that came with the tubes uninstalled. Mesa had a practice of putting cheesecloth sleeves over their tubes inside the amps in order to protect them during shipping. If the buyer forgot to remove these sleeves before he or she fired up the amp, the result was burning cheesecloth, damaged tubes and a very unhappy customer. Perhaps this is why they decided to ship the amps with the tubes uninstalled?

As others have said, the arrangement of the pins dictates how the tube should fit in the socket. They should line up only one way, so don't worry about making a mistake. Do make sure all of the tubes are installed, though. Make sure there are no empty sockets inside the amp before you switch it on.

Have fun with it. You've got a very nice amplifier there.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley