Hey. I've been thinking about getting a new amp. I am a thrash player (Megadeth, Slayer, Metallica, Testament) and will be playing through an Ibanez RG4exfm1. I was thinking about getting the Peavey 6505 112, but it might be too modern sounding for my tastes. That made me find the 50w Valveking 112. It would be my first tube amp, so I don't know if it will be loud enough. Would it be worth it to get the 212? My drummer is pretty loud. My budget is 600, and I thought it might be nice to get maybe a nice OD pedal too if I have the money. Thanks for responses
A good tube amp (no matter what brand it is) will be LOUD. A 10 watt amp can piss off even the nicest neighbors if it's cranked up, and 50 watts is more than enough to keep up with any drummer. Honestly, the only time anything more than 50 watts is even necessary is if you are playing for thousands of people. And even then, a less powerful amp can be pushed harder, and mic'd if it isn't loud enough. Also, the 2x12 won't actually be any louder than the 1x12. More speakers does not mean more volume. The extra speaker in the 2x12 will disperse the sound more throughout the space you are playing in, which will make the sound a little less directional and can give the impression of more volume, but it won't actually be any louder.
The 6505 would be PERFECT. Valveking, not so much. It'll get over the drummer, but it won't sound decent at all for what you want without a few modifications. The 6505 would sound good for Thrash or any other type of Metal right out of the box. I would definitely follow the rule of "Try before you buy" first, however.
An amp can never be too loud. trick question
Current Stage Gear
Ibanez 1987 RG550 Road Flare Red(66th one ever made)
HD500 Pedal
Bugera Vintage 22

Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?
Yes, but not as much as you think. The difference in power will get you at most 3db. You'll get more of a perceived increase in loudness from the fact that one has 2x12 speakers and the other has only one.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
so it probably would be better to just buy the smaller one and get better parts/od pedals probably if i dont go with the 6505. that what you guys would do?
Quote by livingston96
well the 212 is 100w and the 112 is 50w... doesn't that make a volume difference?

Hardly any. You'll get a good bit more bass because of the 2x12" configuration and more clean headroom.

Volume is mainly dependant on speaker efficiency, and whether you'll be heard in a band context depends not only on volume, but also on the frequency-range you're occupying (EQ-settings) and the position of the amp in the room.

Don't try to win the loudness-war with wattage - you can only lose. I use a 50w head, and because it's hooked up to good speakers and everything is set up carefully, I've never had to go above 2 on the master to be heard in the mix.

The speakers in both the 6505+ combo and the VK are poor, but not so poor as to make the amps too quiet for a band.

On a different note: For the sounds you listed, the 6505+ is the better amp, no doubt about it. Personal preference aside, it can do those tones better than a VK.
Peavey does make a 2x12 version of the 6505-series amplifier. While it might bust your budget new; perhaps you could find one used? Then you'd have all the headroom and volume you'd likely ever need.
Quote by TheQuailman
Don't try to win the loudness-war with wattage - you can only lose

I wasnt really trying to win any war, but ok... im just a little fuzzy on electronics. its going to be one of my first good amps, so im just making sure i dont screw myself. thanks for the replies
50w tube 112 will likely be louder than you'll ever need but the extra wattage of a 100 will give you more clean headroom. A 212 will also likely be louder still but the extra speaker is nice for spreading the sound a bit.

To be honest I've never liked how Tube 112's rattle and generally seem like they're going to explode when they get going real loud. I've always thought that when I upgrade I'll likely go for a 212 combo or a head with at least a 212 cab.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Quote by GNR4EVER
50w tube 112 will likely be louder than you'll ever need but the extra wattage of a 100 will give you more clean headroom.

Unless you want the cleanest of clean sounds with super high output pickups, even 50 watts should have plenty of headroom. I actually prefer the amount of headroom I get with my 40 watt amp as opposed to a 100 watt amp because it's still possible to use a boost pedal to get a little breakup on my clean channel without making ears bleed. But to each his own i guess.

To be honest I've never liked how Tube 112's rattle and generally seem like they're going to explode when they get going real loud.

Personally i've been trying to get an amp to sound like its about to explode from the first moment I picked up a guitar
Quote by jon.peebles
Personally i've been trying to get an amp to sound like its about to explode from the first moment I picked up a guitar

Buy a Crate Flexwave. Your wish shall be granted.
Quote by jon.peebles
Unless you want the cleanest of clean sounds with super high output pickups, even 50 watts should have plenty of headroom. I actually prefer the amount of headroom I get with my 40 watt amp as opposed to a 100 watt amp because it's still possible to use a boost pedal to get a little breakup on my clean channel without making ears bleed. But to each his own i guess.

What you say about headroom is probably true. I doubt most people really need that difference in wattage for headroom. I like my cleans sparkling and I still pretty much get away with 50w Tube on my lower output neck pickup at least. If you like that breakup on the other hand I can definitely see how the lower wattage would be more desirable.

Regarding explosions, I think if it happens when you're alone you're the guy with the broken amp, if it happens around other people (preferably during a killer solo) you're a legend
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Quote by jon.peebles
A good tube amp (no matter what brand it is) will be LOUD. A 10 watt amp can piss off even the nicest neighbors if it's cranked up, and 50 watts is more than enough to keep up with any drummer. Honestly, the only time anything more than 50 watts is even necessary is if you are playing for thousands of people. And even then, a less powerful amp can be pushed harder, and mic'd if it isn't loud enough. Also, the 2x12 won't actually be any louder than the 1x12. More speakers does not mean more volume. The extra speaker in the 2x12 will disperse the sound more throughout the space you are playing in, which will make the sound a little less directional and can give the impression of more volume, but it won't actually be any louder.

I would like to know more about what you have written here. Is there an end all thread that talks about speaker sizes and choosing wattage? I'm curious about the relationships of speaker sizes to volume vs sound dispersion etc.