When do you think consent should be taken seriously or ignored while under the influence? If someone consents to something like sex, should it always be taken just as seriously as if they were sober? Or what if it's something like "So you want my PS3? Gah, what the hell you can have it for $100?"?

Yeah, sex is a big topic for this, but it's for more than just sex. Do you think it's wrong for people to take other's consent seriously if they're under the influence? Or do you think people take the risk of making foolish decisions when they drink or do drugs, so they need to deal with the consequences?

I'm making this topic, because I've always found this to be an argument with fucking huge grey areas that leave me undecided. So maybe through discussion we can clear up some stuff. I usually support the idea that when people drink or do drugs, they take the risk of making bad decisions, so it's their responsibility to deal with the aftermath of their actions. But I still see how this idea can get iffy at times.
legally, you can't consent to sex if you're drunk.

so if a girl is drunk and you want to tap that, make sure you're drunk too. then it's not rape.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

I think if its legal to be intoxicated you should legally be held liable for your actions while intoxicated.
You'v got to make the judgement on a case by case basis. Generally I think you should ask them in the morning or forget about it altogether.

If they're really up for it (whatever 'it' may be) you should be sure to ask them sevaral times if they really want to go through with it.
Quote by rockgodman
I think if its legal to be intoxicated you should legally be held liable for your actions while intoxicated.

Yep.
"Because hoes don't trust anyone.. especially me."
Quote by fearofthemark
legally, you can't consent to sex if you're drunk.

so if a girl is drunk and you want to tap that, make sure you're drunk too. then it's not rape.
The thread is mainly about the moral aspect, but I also have some issue with this.

I sympathize with why legally, it's like this, but when exactly can somebody tell that someone is "drunk", or tipsy, etc.? I can't imagine it's like after a girl has one drink, she can't consent, so it seems like that can get really iffy sometimes. Especially since everyone handles alcohol differently.
To be honest, most people dont hold them selfs responsible for their own actions when 100% sober
Quote by The Madcap
The thread is mainly about the moral aspect, but I also have some issue with this.

I sympathize with why legally, it's like this, but when exactly can somebody tell that someone is "drunk", or tipsy, etc.? I can't imagine it's like after a girl has one drink, she can't consent, so it seems like that can get really iffy sometimes. Especially since everyone handles alcohol differently.

I think it's legally drunk, ie a BAC of 0.08 or higher.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

Quote by rockgodman

If you steal a car of vandalise a church or burn down an orphanage or crash a car after a hit and run while under the influence you definitely can't use it as an excuse, I can see how you mean it should work the other way, too.

But I kinda disagree. Just because it's legal to be intoxicated, it shouldn't mean that it's legal for others to take advantage of you while you're in that state.
Quote by The Madcap

That's the problem, once someone gets drinks into them, it effects everyone differently. The only thing you can be held accountable for is your choice to drink, and whatever follows after.
"Because hoes don't trust anyone.. especially me."
morally, you made a conscious decision to get drunk, knowing what alcohol's effects are. Consciously getting drunk enough to have sex with someone you wouldn't do sober is consent in my book.
Quote by guitarxo

Quote by Bladez22

they drink its their responsability for what they do

having said that i dont take anything a drunk says seriously
stopped drinking too
i dont sex up drunk chicks...damn my morals keeping me from getting laid more often than id like
I think you just look at it based on what they're saying is ok. In the case of sex I'd only go there if you'd both been courting a bit previous to the alcohol then you can been reasonably sure that they'd want it regardless and the alcohol has just given them a bit of courage. In the case of "hey sure I'll sell you that" I'd look at how ridiculous the agreement is and clarify again in the morning.
Don't have sex with people who are ****ed up. The end.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Quote by Zoot Allures
So if a guy drives home drunk, accidentally runs over 3 people and then beats up his wife then he shouldn't be held accountable?

Why did you choose my post opposing his idea, the least serious post of all of the posts in this thread, and not butt rayge's post? I'm curious.
EDIT: and I agree with everything butt rayge said
Last edited by stratdud39 at Jul 8, 2011,
Quote by Zoot Allures
So if a guy drives home drunk, accidentally runs over 3 people and then beats up his wife then he shouldn't be held accountable?

Sexual consent isn't something you're "held accountable for", it's something that is freely and actively given. If someone is wasted, they can't be willingly giving consent.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Quote by stratdud39
Why did you choose my post opposing his idea, the least serious post of all of the posts in this thread, and not butt rayge's post? I'm curious.
EDIT: and I agree with everything butt rayge said

Because mine makes sense?
Overall if you're mature enough to intoxicate yourself, you're mature enough to deal with the consequences of your actions IMO.
PM me for newts
Quote by stratdud39
I wasn't even being serious though.

Well, if it's any consolation, I knew you were joking.
Quote by StewieSwan
Overall if you're mature enough to intoxicate yourself, you're mature enough to deal with the consequences of your actions IMO.
I don't know where I stand on the issue, but this seems a little... cruel, for lack of a better word.
Quote by due 07
I don't know where I stand on the issue, but this seems a little... cruel, for lack of a better word.

How so?

If you don't want to be responsible for your actions, don't intoxicate yourself. It's as simple as that.
PM me for newts
Quote by StewieSwan
How so?
I don't know, it's hard to explain. I sort of agree with you in principle; realistically and pragmatically, it gets a little grey though.
Quote by Vornik
Sexual consent isn't something you're "held accountable for", it's something that is freely and actively given. If someone is wasted, they can't be willingly giving consent.

I was wasted last week and willingly gave consent to put on a rolling stones album.
Quote by rockgodman

But if its illegal its okay? Weirdo.

EDIT: It's only a "Grey issue" if both parties are quite drunk. Anything else is at best questionable and at worst outright rape.
Last edited by captaincrunk at Jul 8, 2011,