Can someone explain how they play something like this...

|-----
|-2---
|-----
|-----
|-2---
|-----

etc... I know that's a horrendous interpretation of what I'm trying to depict, but basically what I'm asking is how to play something that is only two notes but with strings in between that aren't supposed to be played. Right now I've been muting the strings in between in with a different finger, but I'm just tryng to make sure that's what I'm supposed to be doing...

Thanks in advance guys!
first finger muting all strings at first fret. 2nd and 3rd finger fretting the 2 notes.
"When losers say it's over with you know that it's a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die"
See, I don't use a pick. But hit the first one with your pick and the other with your middle finger. Unless there's a quick succession of them, then I would mute. It all depends on the situation.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by kolonelkadat
first finger muting all strings at first fret. 2nd and 3rd finger fretting the 2 notes.

Is that on all occasions... what I mean is, no matter what it's always first finger mute second, then third, then fourth fret...
Quote by Artemis Entreri
See, I don't use a pick. But hit the first one with your pick and the other with your middle finger. Unless there's a quick succession of them, then I would mute. It all depends on the situation.

You mean first note with the pick and the second note finger pick at the fret?
Quote by randomthoughts
What song is it that you're trying to play.

A few different songs, I've been playing about 7 months and I've ran into it a few times, figured I'd ask the question and get a specific answer... I guess I can try and dig up an example if it'll help?
Depends... either mute with your fretting hand if you just stum that over and over again, or if it's in a more complicated sequence you'd probably need to finger or hybrid pick.

Hybrid picking is combo of finger and pick.
Last edited by baumaxx1 at Jul 8, 2011,
Quote by thfc1799
Is that on all occasions... what I mean is, no matter what it's always first finger mute second, then third, then fourth fret...

no. only when its convienient. if it were

E||-------||
B||--3----||
G||-------||
D||-------||
A||--1----||
E||-------||

I would fret the A# AND mute all the other strings with my first finger. then fret the D on the B string with my 3rd finger. you could use your second finger to mute the inbetween strings if you wanted, but that wouldnt be convenient for me.

For me, the first finger more or less always mute all the strings below and 1 above the string the first finger is fretting. because obviously, the first finger is farthest left...

E||--x----x----x----x----1--|-----||
B||--x----x----x----1----x--|-----||
G||--x----x----1----x----R--|-----||
D||--x----1----x----R----R--|-----||
A||--1----x----R----R----R--|-----||
E||--x----R----R----R----R--|-----||

Xs are muted with first finger, Rs are muted with the right hand.
"When losers say it's over with you know that it's a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die"
You guys are far too good at helping out... I would give you all a cookie, but I can't bake.