I'm looking into switching the pickups on my Jackson DKMGT to some DiMarzio ones.

Looking to put in a Tone Zone and PAF pro. What all do I need... Besides the pickups of course.. to switch them out?

I heard about switching the pots to 500k but I don't know what pots to use.

AND, do I need F spaced??

EDIT: the current Pickups are EMGs
Last edited by Zerox8610 at Jul 8, 2011,
I'm not sure if you need F spaced or not. You can probably use them, but F space generally goes for anything but a tune-o-matic bridge, if I recall correctly, but that may just be for less pauls.

You need regular 500k pots and the right capacitor for the tone control. This kit would probably be exactly what you need:http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Supplies:_Wiring_kits/Wiring_Kit,_2-pickup_with_Lever_Switch.html
but some people have different preferences for capacitor size.

You can use your current toggle switch though.
500k audio taper pots are what you need. Shaft length will depend on how thick is the wood the shaft will have to go through, since I'm not familiar with that particular guitar I can't tell for sure. Guitars with HBs are usually fitted with .047 caps, but I prefer .022, but thats more preference than anything else, and only makes a difference if you actually use the tone knob.

I doubt you need F spaced, since thats mostly fender bridges (hence the F), but you should measue to be sure, because again, i have no idea what your bridge is. F spaced is 53mm from E to e at the bridge, normal spacing is 50(48??)mm.
"When losers say it's over with you know that it's a lie
The gods made heavy metal and it's never gonna die"
I can't tell what the spacing is... my measuring tape is too inaccurate!! it's a JT390 adjustable bridge if that helps??? It looks to be about 2 inches??? :/ I'm planning on putting the pickups in an Ibanez RG1550m once I get enough money.... but currently I don't have enough to get the guitar.
^You probably won't need F spaced pups.
What you need is either 250k or 500k pots, a new jack and then the pickups. 500k pots give you a little bit brighter sound and the ability to control your own sound a bit more than with 250k pots. You need a new jack cause your current one is for active pickups. Can't think of anything else really...
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

If you've got a tremolo, you want an F-Spaced bridge pickup. The neck pickup should be regular spacing, but having it F-spaced doesn't matter.

All you need is new pots and a different capacitor for the tone pot. The jack and switch are fine, you don't need to change them.

Since the guitar came with actives, you might need to add a ground wire. As it has a tremolo, this is very easy, you just solder a wire to the tremolo claw, and solder the other end to the back of the volume pot. Active pickups (well, EMG's at least) don't require the bridge to be grounded because they have an internal ground, so guitars that come stock with active pickups often won't have a ground wire on the trem/bridge.
Quote by littlephil
If you've got a tremolo, you want an F-Spaced bridge pickup. The neck pickup should be regular spacing, but having it F-spaced doesn't matter.

All you need is new pots and a different capacitor for the tone pot. The jack and switch are fine, you don't need to change them.

Since the guitar came with actives, you might need to add a ground wire. As it has a tremolo, this is very easy, you just solder a wire to the tremolo claw, and solder the other end to the back of the volume pot. Active pickups (well, EMG's at least) don't require the bridge to be grounded because they have an internal ground, so guitars that come stock with active pickups often won't have a ground wire on the trem/bridge.

DKMGT is the model without the trem.. so where would I solder the wire knowing that??
Hmm, that makes it a bit more difficult. Check the control cavity first, see if there is a ground wire going towards the bridge. There may be one there already.