Hey everyone.

I'm thinking about putting a set of EMG active pickups into my gibson sg special. one problem... where the hell does the battery go? would i need to make a cavity or something? or should i just get the EMG HZ's and screw the actives?

anyone have any experience putting those bad boys in an SG ?

thanks
-Gibson SG special - faded brown
-ESP LTD MH400NT w/ EMG 81 - 85
-Peavey Valve King 112
-Digitech Bad Monkey OD
-Dunlop Original Crybaby
-GHS strings
I think these EMGs would be AWESOME in an SG.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--EMGJHSET
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
dont get the hz emgs
youd probably have to make a cavity for them if you cant fit them in the control cavity
^thosewould look awesome
Last edited by supersac at Jul 8, 2011,
I reckon there should be enough space in the cavity to fit a 9v. I'm judging that by looking at the cavity in my SG.
DARK_MATTER, Instrumental Post-Metal from Ireland

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 405QM
Ashdown PM600 - Peavey TVX 4x10
Russian Big Muff

Guitar:
Fender Jim Root sig
'99 Stagemaster 7-string
Yamaha F310
Hughes & Kettner Warp 7 w/4x12
Quote by Vypor
I think these EMGs would be AWESOME in an SG.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--EMGJHSET

They do look awesome. They're FUCKING expensive though! (at least they are in the UK)

Also don't get the HZs. There should be enough space in an SG for batteries i would have thought, otherwise you'll have to route out a space inside the cavity at the side for batteries.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Jul 8, 2011,
Thanks for the tips guys! I'm thinking about getting the white EMG 81 and EMG 60. (bridge and neck). I think the white would look killer with the SG's worn brown finish.
-Peavey Valve King 112
-Digitech Bad Monkey OD
-Dunlop Original Crybaby
-GHS strings
One other thought. Would it be possible to put in one EMG 81 at the bridge, and then a passive (maybe like a Dimarzio) at the neck??
-Peavey Valve King 112
-Digitech Bad Monkey OD
-Dunlop Original Crybaby
-GHS strings
Quote by W METALLICA W
One other thought. Would it be possible to put in one EMG 81 at the bridge, and then a passive (maybe like a Dimarzio) at the neck??

It shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure to use the right pots for each pickup.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Right. Well now im thinking about just putting passive humbuckers in the SG.. the EMG's are like 100 dollars each, and I've already got a guitar with EMG's.. maybe some dimarzio d-activators or a crunch lab.
-Peavey Valve King 112
-Digitech Bad Monkey OD
-Dunlop Original Crybaby
-GHS strings
Quote by W METALLICA W

Here's what EMG says about mixing actives and passives :

"Can I mix EMG's with passive pickups?
It is possible to mix EMG's with passive pickups. There are three possible wiring configurations; one is better than the other two.

Use the high impedance (250K-500K) volume and tone controls. The problem is that the high impedance controls act more like a switch to the EMG's. The passive pickups, however, will work fine. If you have a guitar with two pickups and two volume pots, with a three-way switch, there is another alternative. Use the 25K pots for the EMG, and the 250K pots for the passive pickup. This way you can use one or the other with no adverse affects, but with the switch in the middle position the passive pickup will have reduced gain and response.

Use the low-impedance (25K) volume and tone controls provided with the EMG's. The problem here is that the passive pickups will suffer a reduction in gain and loss of high-frequency response.

This is the best alternative. Install an EMG-PA-2 on the passive pickups. There are two benefits to doing this. With the trimpot on the PA-2, you can adjust the gain of the passive pickups to match the EMG's. The PA-2 acts as an impedance matching device so you can use the low-impedance EMG controls (25K) without affecting the tone of the passive pickups. You will also be able to use other EMG accessory circuits such as the SPC, RPC, EXB, EXG, etc. For this application, we recommend ordering the PA-2 without the switch for easy installation on the inside of a guitar."
Regarding the James Hetfields in an SG. Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMtOT4BHo68

I just put them in my warmoth build thats in my sig. They sound amazing. I've also got EMG-HZ's in an LTD MH-300, they are horrible. Do not waste money on them. I've also got the 81/60 combo in my EC-1000 and the James Hetfields have significantly better cleans.

Here is another EMG-JH pickup demo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olc7a2Lg09c
Last edited by syntheticocean at Jul 9, 2011,
Man, I recommended those EMG-JH's and I really want a pair for my LP. Those just are begging and screaming to be put in an LP.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410