Page 1 of 2
They didn't have a tube screamer in front of them. Every amp i've ever tried has always been bassy, fizzy and impossible to control the mids. Today i got fed up with it and slapped my boss gt-10 in front of my friends dual rec. Put the tube screamer at 0 drive, and half tone/volume, screwed around with the EQ on the amp and nearly came. I was amazed at how much of a difference this made in the tone, and this is just an amp model too 0_o So i tried it on my friends TSL also, made it sound significantly better, i'm actually looking forward to playing it (i have two bands and both rhythm guitar players leave their amps at my house). So I came to realize what would be my ideal head with a tube screamer (or at least my pedal's).

So i need a head with lots of mids, something between the dual rec and tsl, the bass could also be between a dual rec and TSL, leaning toward the dual rec side, and the treble would need to be lower than those two amps, but just by a bit. Oh and enough gain to get the full on saturation tone, i wouldn't have my gain cranked that high obviously but all the amps that i have remotely liked have that characteristic. What comes to mind from what i know of amps in general is something like a 6505 or Soldano, hope to try some soon, any heads come to mind with that general description? I play metalcore/melodic death metal, so i want something heavy but also cuts through, and it seems that something between a TSL and Dual Rec would be an ideal thing to try.
I'm gonna stop you right there. From the sound of it, the reason that the tube amps you've tried sound fizzy and bassy is because you didn't have them turned up loud enough. Tube amps have to be turned up to a certain point before they can obtain the "sweetness" of the tubes. This is especially the case with Marshall and Mesa amps. A Tube Screamer may help with overly-bassy amps (such as the Dual Recto), but it's not the miracle pedal that you think it is.

With this being said, from your description of the tone you're looking for, I would suggest something from Peavey. Either a 6505+, 6534+, JSX (or Triple XXX II as they call it now), or a 3120 should do the trick for you. You can still add a Tube Screamer if you'd like, but it's certainly not a necessity. I have a JSX, and I only run a tuner and Decimator in front of it, and it sounds great. Just be sure to try before you buy.
Hagstrom Swede w/Bare Knuckle Black Dogs
Peavey JSX
Avatar Contemporary 2x12 (Celestion V30/G12K100)
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Dunlop DVP1 Volume
JHS Sweet Tea
TC Electronic Corona Chorus
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
Digitech Hardwire RV-7 Reverb
If your playing through all those amps and making it sound like crap it may not be the amp... Anyway pretty much all tube amps above a certain size have ways to EQ them so you shouldn't necessarily worry about the amp itself being bassy or whatever, you can control that. Just look for amps or brands that are commonly used in your genre of music and try them out to see if you like it
Get them to love you, while they may depending on your words and wealth, the only one who's really judging you is yourself, nobody else.

Any and all posts by this user are fictional and for entertainment purposes only
holy crap, i hope i was never like this.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by LukeBTH
I'm gonna stop you right there. From the sound of it, the reason that the tube amps you've tried sound fizzy and bassy is because you didn't have them turned up loud enough. Tube amps have to be turned up to a certain point before they can obtain the "sweetness" of the tubes. This is especially the case with Marshall and Mesa amps. A Tube Screamer may help with overly-bassy amps (such as the Dual Recto), but it's not the miracle pedal that you think it is.

I understand how a tube amp works, when i'm trying to get a good tone out of either of the amps i have it between 3-6. The thing is i've always enjoyed the scooped mids sound, but i've never bothered keeping them low because i never cut through for obvious reasons. The Tube screamer allows me to get that thick chunky sound because it gives that mid boost so you can cut the mids back on the amp. The tube screamer makes it sound perfect to my ears.
Quote by theponz
If your playing through all those amps and making it sound like crap it may not be the amp... Anyway pretty much all tube amps above a certain size have ways to EQ them so you shouldn't necessarily worry about the amp itself being bassy or whatever, you can control that. Just look for amps or brands that are commonly used in your genre of music and try them out to see if you like it

If you walked into a music store around my area you would know what i mean... marshalls and mesa's, making them sound like crap probably wasn't the best way to describe it, the tones i get out of the amps i try just don't do it for me, i always start with everything at 12 o clock and adjust from there. But now that i have this TS setting on my Boss both the TSL and Dual Rec they sound tighter than an asian school girl, 10 asian school girls in fact. I just need some particular amp suggestions because i'm heading into the city this weekend and want to try some amps out.
Last edited by maowcat at Jul 8, 2011,
Quote by maowcat
tighter than an asian school girl, 10 asian school girls in fact.

Despite all my shady comments on UG... somehow this one succeeds at making me sick

Quote by maowcat
If you walked into a music store around my area you would know what i mean... marshalls and mesa's, making them sound like crap probably wasn't the best way to describe it, the tones i get out of the amps i try just don't do it for me, i always start with everything at 12 o clock and adjust from there. But now that i have this TS setting on my Boss both the TSL and Dual Rec they sound tighter than an asian school girl, 10 asian school girls in fact. I just need some particular amp suggestions because i'm heading into the city this weekend and want to try some amps out.

I'm gonna have to ask this... are you sure its not just you? OR maybe even that Marshalls or Mesas may not be your thing?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by maowcat
But now that i have this TS setting on my Boss both the TSL and Dual Rec they sound tighter than an asian school girl, 10 asian school girls in fact.

Shiiit bro I'm still struggling to get my amp to sound tighter than 2 asian school girls, how do you do it?!

Guitars:
Charvel USA San Dimas | Jackson Matt Tuck Rhoads | Jackson DK2M Dinky | Epiphone Les Paul Custom Midnight | Fender MIM Sunburst Tele

Amp:
Jet City JCA100HDM | Framus CS 2x12
Quote by ragingkitty

I'm gonna have to ask this... are you sure its not just you? OR maybe even that Marshalls or Mesas may not be your thing?

I have only really ever played mesa's and marshalls because that's all that's available to me, i'm a ****ing tone freak i've never been this satisfied with a guitar tone in my life. Marshall are more rock based amps so they aren't my thing, and i just don't like the voicing of mesa amps, Mark series is great for rock/80's metal but not great for what i do. I've tried a couple odd amps hear and there, like a krank revolution+ yesterday, brittle sounding, very weak tone, it was used though so might have been the tubes or something, but i'm told you have to crank them to 6 or something to get a good tone out of them and i didn't feel like pissing off the old guy beside me in the amp room.

Tried a traynor, three channels or something, no gain at all, and that wasn't the first one i tried either. I had a line 6 hd147 which didn't sound bad, but it didn't cut through the mix at all, as expected. Is it all that weird that i like a boosted amp? It sounds great to me, i'm just looking for an amp voiced between a marshall and mesa because i like characteristics of both but not each one as a whole.
Quote by Kev_369
Shiiit bro I'm still struggling to get my amp to sound tighter than 2 asian school girls, how do you do it?!

It involves 4 spoons, power tubes of your choice, an oven or BBQ, a fire extinguisher, a Filipino midget prostitute and a hell of a lot of mayonnaise. If i tell you any more this guy might show up at my house, again.

Quote by maowcat
I have only really ever played mesa's and marshalls because that's all that's available to me, i'm a ****ing tone freak i've never been this satisfied with a guitar tone in my life. Marshall are more rock based amps so they aren't my thing, and i just don't like the voicing of mesa amps, Mark series is great for rock/80's metal but not great for what i do. I've tried a couple odd amps hear and there, like a krank revolution+ yesterday, brittle sounding, very weak tone, it was used though so might have been the tubes or something, but i'm told you have to crank them to 6 or something to get a good tone out of them and i didn't feel like pissing off the old guy beside me in the amp room.

Tried a traynor, three channels or something, no gain at all, and that wasn't the first one i tried either. I had a line 6 hd147 which didn't sound bad, but it didn't cut through the mix at all, as expected. Is it all that weird that i like a boosted amp? It sounds great to me, i'm just looking for an amp voiced between a marshall and mesa because i like characteristics of both but not each one as a whole.

Yeah Kranks need to be up to a certain volume before they grow a pair TBH.

I see the lack of some rock-hard German engineering... maybe you need to pound away on an ENGL or a Diezel?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by Ippon
Get the Marshall and Mesa and play them in stereo! You know you want to. Those 2 always come nicely-priced, used. And if you can postpone gratification, you can wait for you-need-to-get-it-now deals.

I've honestly considered that, maybe i can buy a dual rec first, get another cab and pair it up with my friends TSL and blend the two together.
Quote by ragingkitty
Yeah Kranks need to be up to a certain volume before they grow a pair TBH.

I see the lack of some rock-hard German engineering... maybe you need to pound away on an ENGL or a Diezel?

UGHHH god i wish, there is one ENGL dealer in my entire province (I live in canada) and they are closed when i'm going to where they are located, don't know any diezel dealers, found a bogner dealer but they don't actually have any, i hate canada sometimes The mostly legal weed is nice though, and the free healthcare.
Quote by Kev_369

i hear spinal tap's amps go to 11
So you have the bass and the treble turned up and are complaining that it's too bassy and fizzy? You, my friend deserve a

No, no. Don't thank me - you earned it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 8, 2011,
As someone surrounded by Asian school girls 5 days a week, I want to projectile vomit 보신탕 into your eyes. Thanks.

But whatevs. Good luck on searching for Das Überton.
I am a fake mountain.
wait wait wait... you said before that you enjoy the scooped mids tone... but you complain about it not cutting through, so you put the tubescreamer in front of the amp to put in extra mids...?

was I the only one to notice this?
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
you're doing it wrong.

by tone freak do you mean tone deaf?

you realize that a tube screamer boosts your mids right? right? right? rigth????

asdoi;fjaoijwrt???
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by randomhero93
wait wait wait... you said before that you enjoy the scooped mids tone... but you complain about it not cutting through, so you put the tubescreamer in front of the amp to put in extra mids...?

was I the only one to notice this?

Correct. This sounds like a case of operator error.

Doesn't want mids but adding a tubescreamer.
Using a recto at low volume but it's too fizzy.
Using an amp with a ton of bass but it's only tight enough when you use a tubescreamer, which cuts bass.
Using a Dual Rec, but wants a tight sounding amp.

It sounds like you're using the wrong amp with the wrong EQ setup. The tubescreamer is making the amp sound better to you because it's correcting for your bad EQing by cutting bass and adding mids. You're still using the wrong amp, though.
Quote by DanTheHobbit
I want to projectile vomit [Nobody you know, okay] into your eyes.

Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by DanTheHobbit
Dog meat soup.

Oh right.... Google Translate Phail
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by DanTheHobbit
Dog meat soup.

Mmmmm...somebody mentioned Boshintang....
Quote by Cathbard
So you have the bass and the treble turned up and are complaining that it's too bassy and fizzy? You, my friend deserve a

No, no. Don't thank me - you earned it.

When did i say i have either of those turned up, once i put the tube screamer on i put my treble on both amps just below 5, the bass a little over 5 and the mids between 3-6. When i talk about scooped mids i mean having the mids below the treble and bass... not at 0.
and then the tubescreamer boosts your mids.

congratulations. you win the tone game.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
So what you're saying is the EQ on your amp is approximately: Bass at 6, mids at 4, and treble at 6.

When you add the Tubescreamer, it boosts your mids. So it isn't scooped, at least not as much.
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
Quote by Roc8995
Correct. This sounds like a case of operator error.

Doesn't want mids but adding a tubescreamer.
Using a recto at low volume but it's too fizzy.
Using an amp with a ton of bass but it's only tight enough when you use a tubescreamer, which cuts bass.
Using a Dual Rec, but wants a tight sounding amp.

It sounds like you're using the wrong amp with the wrong EQ setup. The tubescreamer is making the amp sound better to you because it's correcting for your bad EQing by cutting bass and adding mids. You're still using the wrong amp, though.

The tube screamer allows me to lower the mids on my amp but gives me a different mid ranged tone that sounds heavy.
I play the recto anywhere between 3-6, that is loud enough, i don't play it quietly.
I understand that a dual rec has a lot of bass, that's where the tube screamer helps.
The tube screamer makes the dual rec tight.

Before i added the tube screamer i had the bass on 3, the mids at 7, and the treble between 5-6. The presence was anywhere between 2-4, i found it never does anything unless you crank it or scoop it, and the gain was somewhere around 6-7. Now with the tube screamer i have the treble at 4, mids between 3-4, and the bass at 5 and the presence where ever, and the gain between 4-5. It sounds heavy, and scooped, but it still has lots of clarity.
Ignite can get a beastly tone out of his dual/triple rec(can't remember what he has) at extremely low volumes.

I can get a nice tight crunchy tone from my VK at low volumes too with a TS9. It's all about EQing the amp. A OD helps tighten up the gain by cutting the bass and boosting the mids, but if you EQ'ed right you wouldn't always have to do that, depends on what kind of tone you're going for.
i was gonna try to suggest amps to you but after reading some posts i'm confused on what tone you're going for lol
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Quote by ascend
i hear spinal tap's amps go to 11

From a thread asking if it is safe to tell someone the serial number on your amp:
Quote by JAHellraiser
omg dont do it! he can hack your amp get the b00tiful t00b t0anz
DONT SCOOP YOUR MIDS!!!! ITS NOT BRUTAL AND YOU WONT CUT THROUGH THE MIX!!!!

Now thats clear, what exactly are you asking for? Amp recommendations?
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
sounds like he already figured what he likes... a tube amp with scooped mids and a tubescreamer running in front of it. he just wants... something... acceptance? validation?
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Wow, this thread is so full of fail. And not just from TS. I think most of the GG&A forum is mentally retarded. And I mean that, there are some really dumb ****s here.

Also, Acousticmirror, stop using Cathbard's avatar! It confuses me when you say mean things.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Page 1 of 2