Page 1 of 2
I recall playing the Pod HD 500 a while back, and was generally impressed with the improvements made from the older Pods... particularly in the area of the amps being modeled.

Right, I'm seriously considering the desktop Pod HD as a alternative to my amp for practice at night. However, when I listen to the sound clips, I noticed that the tone tends to be somewhat fizzy, fuzzy and muddy. Particularly for the high gain amp models - it seems to be fizzing and fuzzing out rather than distorting. I feel that there is a distinct lack of clarity, definition and note separation among the high gain amp models.

Given that I tested the 500 close to 2 months ago, I can't really recall what it sounds like now.

What I wanna knows, when you play with the Pods, does it sound like what the final sound clips sound like? Or is it that the final clips after just sound somewhat more fuzzy / fizzy / muddy?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I own it and I agree. I'm not too impressed with the amp modeling.

I bought it for it's effects and using it with the 4CM though, and it does all that wonderfully.

You can get some alright tones, but if you're going to get the HD bean model, then I suggest getting an interface (if you don't have one) and using some free amp VSTs with some impulses, or get something like Revalver because the tones are infinitely better. I just find the HD amp models "lacking".
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
i can only comment on Pod Farm if you are interested. sounds pretty much like the final actually. i think.

Urgh, srsly? Hmmm then that means I'm really gonna reconsider this then.

Quote by Ignite
I own it and I agree. I'm not too impressed with the amp modeling.

I bought it for it's effects and using it with the 4CM though, and it does all that wonderfully.

You can get some alright tones, but if you're going to get the HD bean model, then I suggest getting an interface (if you don't have one) and using some free amp VSTs with some impulses, or get something like Revalver because the tones are infinitely better. I just find the HD amp models "lacking".

Hmm I remember I was generally quite impressed with how much the Pod had improved, particularly in the area of dynamics and response... but I can't really recall much else.

I remember commenting to one Pod HD owner that his clips of the Fireball needed less gain because it seemed to be fuzzing out... and was surprised that he had only set his gain to 25%.

I remember that when I tested a Fireball 60... the clarity and definition retention at high gain were the things that really surprised me. I don't hear any of that in the youtube clips of the Pod HD's Fireball.

If the amp models are more fizz, fuzz and mud... then it really defeats the purpose because I already own ReValver and Guitar Rig... but don't use them that much because of my computer's processing capabilities.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Well there's also this to consider, my guitars both have stock pickups and my strings are old... I haven't changed them since I got the HD500 and they were old then.

Playing with it in my isolation head phones, it actually sounds really good.

You also have to consider that there will be more updates that will effects the amp models and they could end up being a lot better than they are now.

All in all it's not a bad unit and the amp modeling isn't terrible (I know it came off sounding that way in my first post). I'd say go test one out again.
Quote by Ignite
Well there's also this to consider, my guitars both have stock pickups and my strings are old... I haven't changed them since I got the HD500 and they were old then.

Playing with it in my isolation head phones, it actually sounds really good.

You also have to consider that there will be more updates that will effects the amp models and they could end up being a lot better than they are now.

All in all it's not a bad unit and the amp modeling isn't terrible (I know it came off sounding that way in my first post). I'd say go test one out again.

But do the high gain models sound fizzy and fuzzy even with your headphones?

I was thinking of the updates... but with Line 6, most updates tend to be addition of models, I don't think they're in the habit of going over their older algorithms.

I have set aside some time over the weekend to test out the kidney bean again... but I wanted to gather some opinion on whether any current owners found the high gain models to be more fizzy and fuzzy rather than having good clarity and defintion. I usually get too excited when testing gear... so much so that I have buyers regret for about 20% of gear I get.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
The thing I hated about my Digitech RP250 was that the dynamics, compression, vibe - were not there. Don't stop your quest for what you really want. Pod Farm has its own limitations but the upgrade kits are well worth it I hear. I have an acdc crunch sample of Farm in my profile somewhere fyi.

this one:

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/311ZOSOVHJH/music/all/play753839
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 8, 2011,
Quote by ragingkitty
But do the high gain models sound fizzy and fuzzy even with your headphones?

I was thinking of the updates... but with Line 6, most updates tend to be addition of models, I don't think they're in the habit of going over their older algorithms.

I have set aside some time over the weekend to test out the kidney bean again... but I wanted to gather some opinion on whether any current owners found the high gain models to be more fizzy and fuzzy rather than having good clarity and defintion. I usually get too excited when testing gear... so much so that I have buyers regret for about 20% of gear I get.

The absolute worst-sounding model in the whole bunch is the Uberschall. Sounds absolutely horrid to me.

The other high-gain ones aren't bad at all, although I'm not a high-gain expert by any means.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Pod Farm has its own limitations but the upgrade kits are well worth it I hear. I have an acdc crunch sample of Farm in my profile somewhere fyi.

this one:

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/311ZOSOVHJH/music/all/play753839

Erm, yeah... that's the sound I tried on some of the older Pods which made me not wanna buy them... kinda like a little digital and fuzzing. No offence 311, but that fuzz in the sustain is one of those things that really get to me.

Quote by Holy Katana
The absolute worst-sounding model in the whole bunch is the Uberschall. Sounds absolutely horrid to me.

The other high-gain ones aren't bad at all, although I'm not a high-gain expert by any means.

No I agree... its not that the sounds are bad... but rather, I can't get my mind around the fact that its more like someone stuck a fuzz and a treble booster on the sustain. It's like Line 6 slaps a fuzz on all its high gain models.

Even the Dual Rec and the Fireball sound quite muddy to me.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I see

Well that's just me... I have a very particular definition of what a nice distorting amp should sound like.

In your clips, the attack and the split second after the attack are absolutely fine... that sounds like distortion to me. But just after that as the note starts to sustain, it sounds like there's a digital edge and some fuzz action going on; thats the part that really grates on me.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Erm, yeah... that's the sound I tried on some of the older Pods which made me not wanna buy them... kinda like a little digital and fuzzing. No offence 311, but that fuzz in the sustain is one of those things that really get to me.

No I agree... its not that the sounds are bad... but rather, I can't get my mind around the fact that its more like someone stuck a fuzz and a treble booster on the sustain. It's like Line 6 slaps a fuzz on all its high gain models.

Maybe you're not EQing it right. Usually, their models have pretty much the same tone stack as the original, but a couple seem to be a bit off, and you've gotta compensate for that at times.

Dual Recs are pretty notorious for their fizzy top end anyway. Not as much as on a modeler, but still.

EDIT: Sounds like you harbor some ill feelings towards the god of all effects, fuzz.

HE SHALL RAIN DOWN HIS FURY UPON YE, NONBELIEVER!
Last edited by Holy Katana at Jul 8, 2011,
Quote by Holy Katana
Maybe you're not EQing it right. Usually, their models have pretty much the same tone stack as the original, but a couple seem to be a bit off, and you've gotta compensate for that at times.

Dual Recs are pretty notorious for their fizzy top end anyway. Not as much as on a modeler, but still.

I disagree... I've kinda forgotten how the Pod HD sounded like when I tested it. I'm talking about the sound clips on UG and YouTube... so its not really my EQ skills.

Its not top end fizz I'm referring to... its this edge of fizz that I hear when chords are played. Single notes sound absolutely fine in the high gain sounds... its the chords that sorta fizz and fuzz out.

Quote by Holy Katana
EDIT: Sounds like you harbor some ill feelings towards the god of all effects, fuzz.

Haha yeah I do... to me clarity, note separation and definition are the 3 corner stones of good tone... and well, fuzz just impacts those 3 factors one way or the other. Hence i'm not a big believer of fuzz.

If that makes me a blasphemer... yeah I guess I'd start the Great UG Fuzz Heresy
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jul 8, 2011,
The Devi Ever Aenima is one fuzz that has an unusual amount of clarity. It almost sounds like a distortion pedal, but it has the fuzz timbre, I guess you could say.

Takes chords, even full ones, like a champ.
Quote by Holy Katana
The Devi Ever Aenima is one fuzz that has an unusual amount of clarity. It almost sounds like a distortion pedal, but it has the fuzz timbre, I guess you could say.

Takes chords, even full ones, like a champ.

Actually I am looking at a fuzz just for NIN's Discipline.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty

It's stupid... but pretty much every high gain amp sim requires some sort of boost, whether or not it does IRL or not. ALWAYS add a tubescreamer sim in front of any high gain amp sim. It tightens up the tone a ton.

I guess this is relevant to this thread. Here's a clip I just made out of boredom.
http://soundcloud.com/ryansimmons/ov1928podhd

I don't have any computer speakers right now, so I don't really know how this sounds... it sounded pretty good through my isolation headphones though.
Last edited by Ignite at Jul 8, 2011,
Quote by Ignite
It's stupid... but pretty much every high gain amp sim requires some sort of boost, whether or not it does IRL or not. ALWAYS add a tubescreamer sim in front of any high gain amp sim. It tightens up the tone a ton.

I guess this is relevant to this thread. Here's a clip I just made out of boredom.

I don't have any computer speakers right now, so I don't really know how this sounds... it sounded pretty good through my isolation headphones though.

O.o

Weird... that sounds significantly better. Damn it... you just reignited my GAS again

Did you have a boost for the HD Djenty clip?
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
O.o

Weird... that sounds significantly better. Damn it... you just reignited my GAS again

Did you have a boost for the HD Djenty clip?

yeah like I said, I always have a tubescreamer on (called the "Screamer" on the HD) before any high gain amp.

Also note, that clip was recorded with a mic. I put the pod through my Mark IV's power section and mic'd my cab.
Quote by Holy Katana
I figured it was common knowledge that throwing a Tube Screamer in front of any high gain amp sim was pretty much necessary.

O.o

Not that I was aware...

When I use ReValver.. it sounded absolutely fine without any boost in front of any of their models.

On the other hand, when I had my Spider Valve... it sounded bad with any pedals before it.

Quote by Ignite
yeah like I said, I always have a tubescreamer on (called the "Screamer" on the HD) before any high gain amp.

Also note, that clip was recorded with a mic. I put the pod through my Mark IV's power section and mic'd my cab.

So I guess everyone learns something new everyday.

Having the OD in front def cuts down on the fizz and fuzz... and there's better clarity overall.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
^ Are those clips boosted Tom?

There are some parts which are down right fuzzy and fizzy... but there are some portions which sound really good.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by Holy Katana

Eh? I found the real thing to be less fizzy Axe Fx excepted.

Quote by ragingkitty
I disagree... I've kinda forgotten how the Pod HD sounded like when I tested it. I'm talking about the sound clips on UG and YouTube... so its not really my EQ skills.

Its not top end fizz I'm referring to... its this edge of fizz that I hear when chords are played. Single notes sound absolutely fine in the high gain sounds... its the chords that sorta fizz and fuzz out.

Haha yeah I do... to me clarity, note separation and definition are the 3 corner stones of good tone... and well, fuzz just impacts those 3 factors one way or the other. Hence i'm not a big believer of fuzz.

If that makes me a blasphemer... yeah I guess I'd start the Great UG Fuzz Heresy

Parametric EQ. Cut at 8000 Hz.

Quote by Ignite

Eh? My RP's very loose compared to the POD, and the HD400 I tried had way mroe gain than my RP

And another thing, ive noticed that modellers sound the best when played through a poweramp/FRFR system. It sounds much bigger, if you get what I mean.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Jul 8, 2011,
Well, you need to seriously use the EQ after the amp and need to boost the amp sim before and at times, according to tastes, maybe even use a compressor.
You really need to tweak it to get a good sound.
Also, the presence knob plays a crucial role in a couple of the high gain models.
You might need to spend perhaps even half an hour to get the exact tone you want.

I hate the Engl model though.
Quote by ragingkitty
^ Are those clips boosted Tom?

There are some parts which are down right fuzzy and fizzy... but there are some portions which sound really good.

I think so yeah,

though I would like to add that my recording er "technique" leaves something to be desired

all I do is plug straight into reaper and play, I also only use my cheap stereo speakers, so if you have a half decent studio setup you can probably get awesome tone.

Quote by Ravenfaust
Well, you need to seriously use the EQ after the amp and need to boost the amp sim before and at times, according to tastes, maybe even use a compressor.
You really need to tweak it to get a good sound.
Also, the presence knob plays a crucial role in a couple of the high gain models.
You might need to spend perhaps even half an hour to get the exact tone you want.

I hate the Engl model though.

I spent the best part of month dialing my real ENGL in when I had it

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Last edited by Tom 1.0 at Jul 8, 2011,
^ i haven't found a good tone with the Engl model yet, and i've had it for a week now. :/
I only read the first few posts in this thread, but something gives me the idea that you are talking about some of my clips. One thing that has bothered me about the HD is that it sounds quite different recorded than it actually does while playing through monitors/headphones. For example, I really like the Fireball and Rec tones I've gotten with it. There's definitely room for improvement in the high gain dept. but I've been satisfied with the tones I've gotten. Then I'd go to record them and they would sound like fizzy shit. Also, I've heard tones recorded that were awesome, so I got the patch, played it and it sounded like shit. It's really weird.

This device definitely can sound great, just expect to sit down and take some time to dial in the tones. Keep in mind it's still a modelling device, not a real amp. It's better than the previous pods, but still not better than a real tube amp.
Hey guys... or at least the ones still bothering to follow this thread....

I was just browsing around, and TGP had a series of reports indicating that there's a problem with the Pod HD's firmware. Apparently it seems that there's a lot of hard clipping at the input stage of the Pod HDs.

The last post on the page is supposedly by a Line 6 employee indicating that they are in the process of resolving it. Anyone experience the same thing? Any news on whether this has been resolved yet?

Does this affect all Pod HDs or just the 500? It kinda bothers me as I only high output pups.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=795538
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Jul 10, 2011,
Had no trouble with my EMGz.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Had no trouble with my EMGz.

Is your's the latest firmware Tom?

Yeah, I'm a little bothered about getting another modeler.

Guitar Rig wasn't as great as I expected... it didn't have the reactivity to playing dynamics.
Amplitube barely sounded anything close to a tube amp modeller.
The Spider.. well lets not go there
The Spider Valve... once I got accustomed to the tone... it still sounded digital to me.
The ReValver was the only one that actually sounded like I was playing through a tube amp... short of forking out for an AxeFX

So I'm actually quite hesitant on forking out money for something that might disappoint again.

I tried the Pod HD desktop again yesterday... it sounded pretty good, and I was quite certain I was gonna fork out money for it... altho having to dump a Tubescreamer in front of the amps kinda bothered me a little. Then I read about this problem... and my doubts floated up again.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by Ravenfaust
http://www.tonebone.com/tb-dragster.htm

This thing apparently corrects all input impedance issues.

It depends on your humbuckers. I, for one, have had no problem, so i wont be purchasing this tonebone gadget.

That looks like a wide round about to solve something
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Quote by ragingkitty
Is your's the latest firmware Tom?

Yeah, I'm a little bothered about getting another modeler.

Guitar Rig wasn't as great as I expected... it didn't have the reactivity to playing dynamics.
Amplitube barely sounded anything close to a tube amp modeller.
The Spider.. well lets not go there
The Spider Valve... once I got accustomed to the tone... it still sounded digital to me.
The ReValver was the only one that actually sounded like I was playing through a tube amp... short of forking out for an AxeFX

So I'm actually quite hesitant on forking out money for something that might disappoint again.

I tried the Pod HD desktop again yesterday... it sounded pretty good, and I was quite certain I was gonna fork out money for it... altho having to dump a Tubescreamer in front of the amps kinda bothered me a little. Then I read about this problem... and my doubts floated up again.

no, not yet

sounds like you should just save until you buy an amp if your this unsure.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
no, not yet

sounds like you should just save until you buy an amp if your this unsure.

I already have a MkV, the Pod's a practice solution when its not practical to turn on the 90 watter... still I'm quite picky about clarity and definition... so such issues kinda irk me.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Oh

Well just get it and if you hate it, return it?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh

Well just get it and if you hate it, return it?

Practically all shops selling musical instruments don't practice that policy. Guess I'll have to bring my guitar and check for this. Thanks, Tom.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
you don't have return policies there?

i think some of the fuzz on my clip was due to (lack of good) palm muting technique and the fact that I was not using an OD boost. Only the Brit 18 model or whatever it is called. May not have been the greatest example of the tones you can get but I've been very happy with Pod Farm overall. ktnxbai
Oh you live in Malaysia?

I forgot about that, hmmm I dunno, I guess you just have to try and spend sometime with one buddy.

Its a good little bit of kit but compared to your MKv? ....... Well

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Page 1 of 2