Its about 5th in my pedal chain...And I'm using a 1spot to power it. With a twin reverb, I have to put the volume on the muff at about 3 o'clock and even then its not really loud enough...And if I go higher it doesn't get louder, just more messy and muddy.
Increase the volume on your amp?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Which Muff do you have? The regular old NYC Big Muff Pi? Smallbox? Double Muff? English Muff'n? Russian Muff? etc.

I power mine with a onespot and it's more than loud enough.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by ragingkitty
Increase the volume on your amp?

Its a twin at vol 6...The cleans are already extreme.
Quote by Zoot Allures
Maybe you're running the amp so loud that there's no headroom left and the volume on the muff is just banging it into saturation more, so the volume won't really be boosted up all that much..?

+100000. Except it's not after the power amp.

It is in front of the amp, right? Thats where I would put my fuzz...
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
don't listen to anything Zoot says, you definitely aren't running a Twin that loud
Quote by lbj273
don't listen to anything Zoot says, you definitely aren't running a Twin that loud

Don't worry I'm not . I've got a bunch of distortions that can be cranked to skull melting volumes...the muff just isn't boosting
Quote by stykerwolf
any chance you're confusing the sustain knob with the volume knob? Sounds like it

Wait... I'm supposed to turn the one labeled volume it big bold lettering?
Turn it moar?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Remove all pedals from the chain/power and try again. I can't imagine you're drawing anywhere near the mA limit of your PSU, but I guess it's worth a try...

EDIT: I doubt the above is any help. My suggestion is your other distortions have more headroom; turn them down accordingly so that there is no volume difference between them. Adjust amp volume accordingly.

EDIT 2: did I use the word 'accordingly' enough?
Last edited by Mathamology at Jul 8, 2011,
Quote by stykerwolf
evidence pointed otherwise

After doing some work on a Muff I had I accidentally put the Sustain and Volume through the wrong holes so this is more than possible
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
^^^ This. I got rid of my NYC Muff recently for this exact reason. Compared to all my other overdrive/fuzz pedals, the muff had very little in terms of volume boost when engaged, even with the volume control turned right up. Just seemed to lack that front end slam other pedals I own are so great at doing.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
It's a strange pedal... If I'm practicing at low volume, it's plenty loud, if not too loud. It's when I practice with my band that it just doesn't boost. Might try and stick a battery in it, and see if that works.