Im new to guitar so if someone could please help me with artists and pieces. If you could also tell me which good spanish flamenco pieces there are. Thatnks in advance!!!
I'm not good at country-stuff (bluegrass is another story though ) at least not the Dolly Parton / Garth Brooks part of it. The only country I usually dig is the one that features cool guitar playing, like Jerry Reed or country-influenced bands like the Meat Puppets or the Minutemen

/] 三方 [\
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Last edited by shwilly at Jul 8, 2011,
And then there was flamenco...

Most people learn about Flamenco through Paco de Lucía. Not only is his technique godly: status-wise, he's like the Jimi Hendrix of flamenco, so I guess this would be his "Purple Haze" and this one his Voodoo Chile or something. Another well known artist is Tomatito. One of the reasons for their worldwide fame was that they dared stepping outside the boundaries of traditional flamenco (that electric bass for example is blasphemy by the standards of most flamenco purists). There's enough guitarists who keep it more low key tho, check out Moraito for instance. Believe it or not, but as virtuouso as that sh*t may sound to most, he's actually considered to be somewhat of a "less is more" guitarist

Unfortunately, if you don't live in Spain you really have to know where to look if you want to get your hands on some albums that weren't made by the most famous guitarists. Some guys I like are Gerardo Núñez, Juan Manuel Cañizares and Eric Vaarzon Morel because their output is mostly instrumental. Not that I absolutely hate screaming gypsys or anything: I'm just more interested in the guitar-part of this wonderful genre

/] 三方 [\
Mumford and Sons...
Strange, It seems like a character mutation, Though I have all the means, of bringing you fuckers down, I can't make myself, To destroy upon command, Somehow forgiveness, lets the evil make a loss - Danger Mouse/Sparklehorse/Wayne Coyne
...if however, your question was meant as a "what tunes are good for learning me some basic flamenco-stuff" rather than "so which artists or albums should I check out" it's probably wise to start out with some classical guitar pieces

Y see, the reason why Spain became the cradle of flamenco is because the country already had a huge tradition of guitar-based classical music, so the gypsys who arrived there took up the instrument (if you look up some Hungarian or Serbian gypsy music you'll notice that the instruments are totally different). And although some of those classical pieces are a gazillion times more technical than your average AC/DC, there's certainly some accessible pieces like Asturias

Some well known composers to look for are Isaac Albéniz, Francisco Tárrega and Manuel De Falla, Enrique Granados and Joaquín Turina, and some well known performers of their works are Andrés Segovia, John Williams (the guitarist, not the movie soundtrack composer), Julian Bream, Narciso Yepes, Manuel Barrueco, Christopher Parkening, Anton Steklov, David Russell, Paul Galbraith, Zoran Dukic and Pepe Romero (at least that's all I can find in my iTunes, )

...and if all that sh*t seems like a realy big step (I couldn't even dream of playing most of these pieces) it's certainly not a crime to start out with some good old fashion Bach and stuff: sure, in classical you use your fingertips exclusively and you're supposed to focus on purity of tone whereas flamenco is all about rhythmical accuracy and percussiveness (I vital part of which is the "rasgueo" which means ravaging the strings with your nails) but in the end both classical and flamenco guitar involve playing a nylon string guitar with your fingers

And keep in mind, I'm certainly not saying baroque guitar is a piece of cake compared to flamenco (it's just different: a lot of those songs have you playing 2 melodies at the same time which is a major mindf*ck), but technique wise flamenco is in a league of its own imho

/] 三方 [\
Last edited by shwilly at Jul 8, 2011,
Jimmie Rodgers and Hank Williams are good places to start with country guitar. They are more or less the starting point of what we think of as country rather than hillbilly music. Then there's Waylon Jennings and Johnny Cash. One of my favourite pieces to play is "Girl from the North Country" by Bob Dylan. If you want folkie, play the version Dylan recorded on "Freewheelin'"; if you want country play the Cash/Dylan duet on "Nashville Skyline" or if you want to split the difference you can play the version that Rosanne Cash plays on her "The List" album.
Folk/Country - Neil Young (potentially some of his stuff anyway, try the Harvest album)
Simon & Garfunkel

- Mrs. Robinson
- Sound of Silence
- America
- Bridge Over Troubled Water
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
Thank u all so much. And sorry for the many different threads, like i say im a newbie.