So, my recent employment has basically given me 3 days to relocate to a new city, which means i might sublease in an apartment complex (or might end up in one after that). smaller room, roommates with jobs, etc.

basically, my guitar playing is going to be almost impossible unless i can do it quietly or i pick a time when my roommates arent home. FU*k!!!

Any good recommendations for an amp that ives high quality sound but possibly has a line out to plug into a PA with a headphone line or or has a headphone line out already?

OR it is not needed, but REALLY small tube amps like the Z VEX 1/4 watt amp. stuff like that. price isnt really an issue. small amps are only so much, and i now am employed with a career job.

NOTE:

my living costs are rather cheap = i will buy a ton of new guitar gear. can you san pedals and a custom carvin on the way?
Have you considered one of Vox's headphone amps? Cuts down on cords and increases mobility. I suggest getting a set of Sony earbuds, as well (one of their sets has a 3-23000hz range, which is pretty good for $40). That's what I would get if I could only practice through headphones.

I used to practice with headphones, through my old mfx unit. It seemed like everytime I moved a cable caught on something. Hence my reply to your thread.
Quote by Duv
Oh, and for resonance just play unplugged and see if it's loud. And smack an open A chord and hold the body and see if it vibrates like a middle-aged woman's best friend.
Vox DA5 has line out and it can run on 0.25W. Also, most digitech RP series pedals have a headphone jack so you can plug in 2.5mm headphones directly.
Oh that sucks dude, ive been playing guitar from the begining in an apartmant, so im pretty much ****ed
You could always buy a Pod. You can use that with headphones or plug it into the PA when you need the volume. The Pod HD's sound ok that way. You'd certainly get away with it.

The Vox amplugs are ok but they don't really sound like a proper amp. Convenient, I have fun with mine but they are a bit of a toy.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 8, 2011,
Pod x3's are preatty good, obviously you dont get the feel of a tube amp but if you are play one through headphones youwont get that anyway

If your after a head then the balckstar S2 has an emulated output so it sounds the same whatever it is plugged into, or at least does a good job trying to!
Don't you think that is a little loud? No, as a matter of fact I don't think it''s loud, this is me trying to keep it down. I can hear the guitar acoustically over the amp, it cant possibly be that loud.......... Oh what an annoying daily routine.

I Just went and got a digitech rp300. While the sound isn't there, it's convenient and plugs into the computer, so I use the headphones on the computer or the head phone out on the processor. I kind of think the ole hag misses having me to complain about...... Seems like one of those people that arent happy with being happy, ya know, like they always need some kind of drama going on to feel significant....
f your penis keeps dipping in the toilet water........just toss it over your right shoulder...
Look into the lil night train, 2 watt, can crank it and it isn't too loud but the tone is awesome, they have a headphone line out too. I use a pair of Superlux HD681 headphones, cheap and literally the best sounding headphones i've tried and i've been through countless seinheisers and tried the Dr Dre beats, i prefer the superluxs.

Thats my nighttime rig anyway!

Happy hunting!
engl gigmaster & hughes and kettner tubemeister have 1w modes and xlr/line out outputs
If you want to play with headphones then any number of multifx will do the job. If I had to keep the volume really low I would just go with the MicroCube.
i guess i could result to a multi FX....sadly. blah. though i would never mess with that.

and recommendations on a small simple one but VERY HIGH QUALITY? i mean i dont need 500 FX and 100 switches. a small unit as long as it is a VERY nice one.

even the lil night train is too loud. i know cause i blat it in guitar center. its definitely loud enough to piss people off in a guitar center. could work. i was hoping to find great tube tone in 1 watt or less.

DOODE. the tubemiester looks sweet. ive been eyeing that and i didntk now it went to 1 watt. seriously, that might be the answer for my next head. damn. sexy.

if only a carvin v3m had a power soak to 1 watt or silent out. it goes to 7 watts. its also a 50 watt head.....

any other suggestions? blackheart little ant, Z VEX 1/4 watt?
actually, another question:

does anybody know with the tubemeister and the XLR red box out, how would you rig that up so that i could play into a small mixer or direct box and then somehow have my sound come out of say....a home sound system of some kind?

edit:

OH SNAP!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIPDpDoMB_E

watch towards the end. so this amp is pretty much mine.....unless another amp has this capability
Last edited by ikey_ at Jul 8, 2011,
if price is no issue grab an axefx. or a podx3

or an eleven rack.

any tube amp is gonna be too loud.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
apartment living sucks for this situation. I currently live in an apartment.

my amp has an emulated output and a mute button and I run that into my mbox mini and monitor with headphones
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
Quote by Cathbard

The Vox amplugs are ok but they don't really sound like a proper amp. Convenient, I have fun with mine but they are a bit of a toy.

My thoughts exactly, but I wouldn't be caught traveling without one. Darned convenient.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
The Blackstar HT-1 and HT-5 both have headphone outs with cabinet emulation. All of the HT distortion pedals also have a headphone out with cabinet emulation so you can just plug them into a set of monitors.
Quote by AcousticMirror
if price is no issue grab an axefx. or a podx3

or an eleven rack.

any tube amp is gonna be too loud.

i have to agree there, even though i am typically not the MFX guy (not even much of a pedal guy either too), it would be something that would be better spent money just for the sake that you could use it live and in the future.

you drop $400-$500 on a sub 15 watt single channel, there are few situations other than appartemtents where it would be used for. i am not saying that it can't be done nor done well around the <15 watt thing, but anything less than a watt or maybe even five wouldn't be useful for anything else.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Bogner Panama! It was made for that situation in Japan. Or Axe FX/POD/etc.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
what? cool. but if its a bogner its probably darn expensive.

well the idea with that tubemeister is that i can run it into a home soundsystem and then plug it into a cab and gig with it. 1 amp for everything. with the right cab and high sensitivity speakers, 18 watts can go a long way, plus if you mic it it really doesnt matter.

i really like this XLR out thing.

cause see, im never going to use a pod or something live. so you say dont buy a tube amp for the apartment, well i say dont buy a pod for the apartment. either way, you cant use them for everything. either one is for home and not the stage, or one of for the stage and not for home.
Um...

I play my half stack and my 2x12 combo in my 2 bedroom apartment. The volume knob isn't there just to look pretty.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Um...

I play my half stack and my 2x12 combo in my 2 bedroom apartment. The volume knob isn't there just to look pretty.

Me too (Well, my 1x12 combo, but still) but OP's situation seems a bit different.

What about a Vypyr Tube? Those have a headphone jack but can still bring the volume in a band situation.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
well the title is misleading. i dont really need headphones. i mean, it might happen but really i need a way to get good tone out without getting evicted.

and the poblem is, im the kinda guy that would prefer a boutique 10 watt amp on 8 than another 50 watt amp on 1. i really just like the drive, sustain, and extra harmonics you get out of torturing tubes.

i move in tomorrow. it will be 1-2 weeks before i get my electrics from my parents place, and i will have a 22 watt tube to test. 1 just to have my belongings with me/gig, but also ill see exactly whats its like in my apartment.

if this gets to be an issue, i have 5 months and il get my OWN apartment. no roommates.