So i have not so much knowledge in gear and amps and stuff... My amp now is a roland cube 80x, and im not quite satisfied whit it. I play all sorts of music really, but mostly prog rock/metal like dream theater, opeth, porcupine tree, btbam etc... I have two ltd esp guitars. one has emg active 81+85 and one has dimarzio chrunch lab+ liquifire (the one whit dimarzios, are the one i use most). Wich amp shuld i get? I want a amp little smaller than the cube 80 by the way. Shuld i get a tube amp? Whats the pros/cons? I dont want it to be more expensive than around 500-600 $.
Quote by Usernames sucks
So i have not so much knowledge in gear and amps and stuff... My amp now is a roland cube 80x, and im not quite satisfied whit it. I play all sorts of music really, but mostly prog rock/metal like dream theater, opeth, porcupine tree, btbam etc... I have two ltd esp guitars. one has emg active 81+85 and one has dimarzio chrunch lab+ liquifire (the one whit dimarzios, are the one i use most). Wich amp shuld i get? I want a amp little smaller than the cube 80 by the way. Shuld i get a tube amp? Whats the pros/cons? I dont want it to be more expensive than around 500-600 $.

You're going to have to be a bit more specific, none of those bands have tones that are really even vaguely alike, at best you could draw comparisons between Opeth and Porcupine Tree but that is seriously stretching it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Well the amp basicly needs to manage a lot of styles. My favorite band is btbam, and they have averything forom deathcore to jazz in theyr music. (as i mentioned, im nnot an expert on amps and stuff).
a recommendation for you would be a Behringer GMX series amp. they're the most cost efficient amps with a great variety of tone possibilities. its got a bazillion different effects and amp simulations. i know because i own a gmx 212 and it sounds awesome considering it was only 200 dollars.
oh gosh i hope hes a troll. behringer makes complete bs.
basically you want an amp that has a super clean tone and a fairly aggressive drive channel. i would definitely focus on the cleans though. you can always add gain with ods, boosts, distortion pedals, etc. but making an amp cleaner is pretty difficult. maybe look at used laneys? opeth uses them live and they have to use a ridiculous amount of different tones, sometimes in a single song.
EDIT: you're in the wrong forum, you need to be in guitar gear and accessories, you'll get a lot more help in there
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Last edited by Goodtimes666 at Jul 8, 2011,
you could go for the Jet City 22H and a decent 1x12 or 2x12 cab
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
You might be best off with a DSP of some sort, like a Pod HD. Allows for a huge range of tonal possibilities, only setback is the fact that it's only a preamp, no poweramp or speakers.
Quote by Goodtimes666
basically you want an amp that has a super clean tone and a fairly aggressive drive channel. i would definitely focus on the cleans though. you can always add gain with ods, boosts, distortion pedals, etc. but making an amp cleaner is pretty difficult. maybe look at used laneys? opeth uses them live and they have to use a ridiculous amount of different tones, sometimes in a single song.
EDIT: you're in the wrong forum, you need to be in guitar gear and accessories, you'll get a lot more help in there

this...plus 1000
Id say either a DSP or one of the non spider line 6 amps
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!
used Flextone combo, if you can get it cheap. you could always get one of the new POD HD300 pedals, its the cheaper of the new pods. You also have the option of geting a Floor POD+ they run @$199 new.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
2nd hand Peavey Ultra/XXX and an avatar cab.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Goodtimes666

behringer is so underrated. and i doubt youve actually given them a chance.

ive used laney cabs and heads in the past. theyre muddy. i wouldnt recommend them.

if you actually listen to this guy and want amps with focus on cleans, go with a fender amplifier.
Last edited by Jackie Lawless at Jul 10, 2011,
i had a couple friends that bought behringers, not only did they sound completely horrible but they're all broken now. true story. but i agree with the fender suggestion. they have excellent clean tones. as far as muddy laneys i have yet to hear one but maybe we heard different models. also the pod ideas aren't bad, you can get a crazy range of tones out them, i just assumed you wanted a real amp.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby