Hi,

I have an epiphone flying V that I play through a Peavey Windsor valve head. In comparison to my Ibanez guitar the epiphone sounds really dull and somewhat muffled, there is also a strong hum coming from the pickups that I'm guessing is from bad or displaced wiring. I was thinking of taking it to a tech so he can find the problem, but was wondering if it would actually be worth buying a new bridge pickup if if the guitar still sounds as awful as it does after been looked at, as I am worried that it might not actually make any major difference.

Thanks,
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Last edited by turtlewax at Jul 8, 2011,
Quote by turtlewax
Hi,

I have an epiphone flying V that I play through a Peavey Windsor valve head. In comparison to my Ibanez guitar the epiphone sounds really dull and somewhat muffled, there is also a strong hum coming from the pickups that I'm guessing is from bad or displaced wiring. I was thinking of taking it to a tech so he can find the problem, but was wondering if it would actually be worth buying a new bridge pickup if if the guitar still sounds as awful as it does after been looked at, as I am worried that it might not actually make any major difference.

Thanks,

It would defiantly be worth it if you get some nice pickups. Just let that tech do that and check the wiring for you. You should defiantly notice a difference.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
But what if the guitar is made out of crappy wood?
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by turtlewax
But what if the guitar is made out of crappy wood?

that is possible. it is a subjective statement though - i.e. i hate basswood but it is a standby for 30 years of ibanez rg's.

without other noises around, play your guitar unplugged. if you like the sound of your guitar unplugged, you should like the sound amplified. the pickups maybe low quality and not doing the guitar justice...or the guitar doesnt have good acoustic properties and never will have a good timbre.

in the case of the later, high output pickups and distortion are a match made in heaven when you shape your tone with the timbre of stompboxes and amps. acoustic properties have almost nothing to do with that setup. just makesure you like the playability of your guitar.
My Gibson Flying V had an annoying hum to it as well when I first got it. Since then I've rewired it twice and the hum has disappeared, where yours could be coming is impossible to tell without removing the pickguard and getting hands-on with it. And as far as a pickup swap... it's always worth it. The stock pups Epiphone drops in their V's are very sterile and dull sounding, you'll be completely blown away when you do the swap.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Thanks for all the help...I'm gonna take the guitar to the shop tomorrow and get the wiring looked at, if I still don't like the sound I might consider forking out for a new bridge pickup. Either a Duncan Invader or Distortion.
If you play metal, you will never be disappointed with an invader. Just felt like saying.
*insert witty statement here*
I've heard the invaders can be a bit bass heavy though?
http://www.irongear.co.uk/

http://www.tonerider.com/

Inexpensive and more than a match for Duncan and DiMarzio. Great pups at very good prices. If your in the UK, go with IronGear and if you're in the US you want Tonerider.

These are your no-risk options.

Quote by metalhead352
If you play metal, you will never be disappointed with an invader. Just felt like saying.

Yes, but you will be disappointed with them every time you try and play anything other than full-bore metal.

They're one-trick ponies and useless if you want any degree of versitality.
LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
I wonder if you get more out put if you wire a battery to your penis.
Last edited by NeutralFan at Jul 12, 2011,
Thanks for those links, they look like crazy value for money!
Last edited by turtlewax at Jul 13, 2011,
Quote by turtlewax
Thanks for those links, they look like crazy value for money!

They are. Toneriders are slightly more expensive (especially here in the UK) but their scatter-winding and general fit-and-finish take the biscuit for me.

However, I've had limited experience with Toneriders in person (though I very much liked them in what experience I've had), and as such I can't vouch for them. I've plenty of experience with IronGears though, and I certainly can vouch for them. The rave reviews are there for both brands, but I can assure you that you won't be disappointed by IronGear.

IMO, both these brands can take on and often beat SD and DiMarzio on sound alone, at a fraction of the price. With them you pay for the pickups, not advertising campaigns, endorsments and hype. With IronGear you don't even have to pay a middle-man, as they deal almost entirely through their website, Axetec, or their eBay site.

Edit: Seeing as you're looking at the Invader and so forth, I would recommend the Generator for Tonerider and either a Hot Slag, a Steam Hammer or a Hammer Head for IronGear. The Steam Hammer and Hammer Head are essentially the same, except the Hammer Head shares the massive pole pieces of an Invader and as such is slightly more suited to lead work. The Steam Hammer and Hammer Head are definitely metal pickups, though they are still infinitely more versatile than the Invader, while the Hot Slag is more of a hard rock/classic metal-metal sort of beast. The Hot Slag is probably more versatile and will do rock very well and even make a decent stab at blues, while still retaining something special when you hammer out the metal. If it were my guitar I'd probably opt for the Hot Slag, but it's all your choice.

If you have any queries about IronGear or Axetec, e-mail Keith- he's a great guy and will happily help you choose a pup whatever else you need. His e-mail is on the Axetec site.

Also, if you live in the States then you should be able to arrange trans-Atlantic shipping with him. I've heard people say he does that.
LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_
Last edited by NeutralFan at Jul 13, 2011,
Yeah I was thinking of getting the hammer head, at the price I suppose I can't really go wrong. Do you personally know the owners or do you work for them or something?
Quote by turtlewax
Yeah I was thinking of getting the hammer head, at the price I suppose I can't really go wrong. Do you personally know the owners or do you work for them or something?

Sorry, for some reason this didn't turn up in my inbox.

No no, I don't work for them. I've just bought heaps IronGears before and have gotten to know them well. I've spoken with Keith before and I know he's a helpful and nice guy, but that's all. Never actually met him as such.

I'm not biased!

I can heartily recommend his pickups to you though. He's got you covered.
LOOK

Call me Neutral.
Quote by da_