Welcome to Free and Easy Guitar - Music Theory: Scales #1 → Major & Minor Scale Construction

so i am new to theory and would appreciate some help.

My question is related to tones. Is moving from C# to D a Semi tone/ half step?

Is moving from F to F# a Semi Tone/ half step?

I also don't understand the sentence " starting at the G note ( 3rd fret, low E string) and moving up a full tone would put you on the A note (5th fret, low E string) ".

Ok so if G note is on the 3rd fret and the A note is on the 5th fret, where is the F note? In what order is this going?
Quote by hhhhdmt
Welcome to Free and Easy Guitar - Music Theory: Scales #1 → Major & Minor Scale Construction

so i am new to theory and would appreciate some help.

My question is related to tones. Is moving from C# to D a Semi tone/ half step?

Is moving from F to F# a Semi Tone/ half step?

I also don't understand the sentence " starting at the G note ( 3rd fret, low E string) and moving up a full tone would put you on the A note (5th fret, low E string) ".

Ok so if G note is on the 3rd fret and the A note is on the 5th fret, where is the F note? In what order is this going?

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. A full tone is a 2 fret distance.

4. The order is alphabetic. Although after G, it starts over at A. A B C D E F G A B C...etc

3. The F is behind the G at the 1st fret.

As an aside, I don't like the lesson in that link. I think its too overwhelming for a beginner, and I think it doesn't do a good job at teaching. My advice, instead of digesting it as a single lesson, break it down into 5 mini lessons and make sure you understand each section before going to the next.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Jul 8, 2011,
F is the 1st fret.

The E string is arranged like this: E F F# G G# A A# B C C# D D# E

You are correct; C# to D is a semitone/half step, as well as F to F#. When you move up a single fret, it is always a half-step; moving two frets forward or backwards is a whole tone.

There is a whole step between each natural note except for B-C and E-F; they are semitones by nature. I do not know why. Therefore, C to D is a whole step, D to E is a whole step, F to G is a whole step, and G to A is a whole step.
Quote by freakstylez

There is a whole step between each natural note except for B-C and E-F; they are semitones by nature. I do not know why. Therefore, C to D is a whole step, D to E is a whole step, F to G is a whole step, and G to A is a whole step.

Something to do with frequencies and how the piano was designed. Could also be the name just sticking, but I'm not too sure tbh.
Quote by santa_man99
THANK you. I love you forever.

Quote by DrFuzz
Why are you researching for Christmas? It's only Ma- HOLY CRAP WHERE'S 2009 GONE!?!?!?

Quote by ilikepirates
You're right, that is weird. You win.
Quote by Chikao42
Something to do with frequencies and how the piano was designed. Could also be the name just sticking, but I'm not too sure tbh.

It goes wayyy before the piano.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Thanks for the answers, guys

I am still confused about one thing. On the low E string, it goes E F F# G. So does that mean E is on the first fret of the low e string, F is on the second fret, and F# is on the third fret? I thought G was supposed to be on the third fret?
Does anyone have a link for a website which has a picture with all the notes on the fingerboard?
I've finished this lesson and it talks about the E Major scale at the end. And how the relative minor scale to any major scale starts of at the 6th note.

So i decided to use the A major scale to find the relative minor scale. I just wanted to know whether i have understood this correctly or not?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A major scale: A-B-C#-D-E-F#-G#-A

Therefore the relative minor scale of the A major scale is the F# minor scale.

F# minor scale: F#-G#-A-B-C#-D-E-F#

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote by hhhhdmt
I've finished this lesson and it talks about the E Major scale at the end. And how the relative minor scale to any major scale starts of at the 6th note.

So i decided to use the A major scale to find the relative minor scale. I just wanted to know whether i have understood this correctly or not?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A major scale: A-B-C#-D-E-F#-G#-A

Therefore the relative minor scale of the A major scale is the F# minor scale.

F# minor scale: F#-G#-A-B-C#-D-E-F#

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you've got it.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.