I just got my new PRS SE and I'm going to go and get a strap and some straplocks for it, and I was wondering if any of them don't require me to drill down further into the guitar? I had put Dunlop Straplocks on my Schecter, but those required to be drilled out, and I don't have access to a power drill 99% of the time (I just don't own one).

So what straplocks are designed to be installed without drilling further?
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
I don't know of any but my local guitar shop did mine for me, I think he charged me like $10 to do it which included a full cleaning and checking everything out so it worked out pretty cool. I love the way he sets my shit up.
"[Bleach] is mostly water, and we are mostly water, therefore we are bleach"

I feel we should go to...

Purple Alert
Try Schaller straplocks.I've installed them on my Schecter Classic without any problems.
Quote by Benjysticus
Try Schaller straplocks.I've installed them on my Schecter Classic without any problems.

no extra drilling required?
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
http://www.zzounds.com/item--DNP7007SI

I think this answers both of your questions . My friend has them on his Les Paul and they seem to be more durable than you would expect them to be, his are older than a year and they still hold with no problems. He doesn't really throw his guitar around so I don't know would they be able to deal with that kind of situations.
Quote by ColmOShea
Atax1a,

What's that called and where can I get them?

I think my mate had some of those, but they kept breaking/coming off, so to my understanding they're not that great
if you buy 2 pint bottles of grolsch and take the red rubber rings you'll have two invincible strap locks and a nice buzz
Quote by ivan987
http://www.zzounds.com/item--DNP7007SI

I think this answers both of your questions . My friend has them on his Les Paul and they seem to be more durable than you would expect them to be, his are older than a year and they still hold with no problems. He doesn't really throw his guitar around so I don't know would they be able to deal with that kind of situations.

I use a Dimarzio elastic strap and this thing seems to be my future pick now

most of the time the strap locks require a special strap (like that planet waves one) or some pin mods right?
I think you don't need a special strap. The guitar I bought used came with the Schaller straplock installed, and I normally use my old strap with it. You just have to tighten the staplock head on the strap end, and then lock onto the screw head you installed into guitar.
Just get some Schaller strap locks. They're something like $20, totally solid, easy to use, and won't require you to drill anything.
Planet Waves makes a strap with built-in strap locks that lock around your existing buttons. I've had one for several years and have never had a problem with it. They're like $20.
umm... try using the screw that's already in your strap pins, instead of the one that comes with the straplocks.

Problem solved.
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
Planet Waves makes a strap with built-in strap locks that lock around your existing buttons. I've had one for several years and have never had a problem with it. They're like $20

Yeah. These are actually really nice. I have these and they work perfectly. I didn't have drill into my guitar and I only had to buy one strap for my two guitars. I would definitely recommend it.
Quote by Musicman48858
umm... try using the screw that's already in your strap pins, instead of the one that comes with the straplocks.

Problem solved.

Doesn't work. Most have different size heads. Dunlop & Ernie Ball strap locks require that the screw be completely recessed in the pin, otherwise the locking won't occur or be secure if it slightly engages. I have in fact tried using the original screws when installing lockers on 3 of my guitars. None would work with the stock screws.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Last edited by Vulcan at Jul 8, 2011,
Take the screw out of your current pin and take it into a guitar shop. Compare that screw to the ones in the straplocks they have there. I prefer Schalers myself. Keep in mind that you may be able to use the original screw in the straplock - as long as the head fits in the pin you're golden.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Atax1a

So cheap. So useful.

This, I use these. No drilling required at all and they work great.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Uhhhhh, I didn't need to drill my dunlops. The screw was a little thicker so the old hole worked as a pilot hole, but I didn't drill...
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
just so you guys all know, i intend to be moving and jumping around with this as I play shows and get active. I need to make sure these are solid.

and to above, evhbrianmay, what guitar did you use to put the dunlops on, because I have them on my schecter and had installed them on my friend's Schecter and had to drill that one too. the Dunlop screws are a lot longer than the stock Schecter screws.

EDIT: so far, I'm most likely going to get the Schallers. I don't know how durable those plastic clips are for the single-piece lock, nor do I trust the planet wave straps+locks (nor do i like their designs. just want a plain black or white strap).

The Dimarzio clip-lock strap may be an option for me. can any one tell me if I would need to drill out more for those?
Quote by pedromiles101
Last edited by randomhero93 at Jul 8, 2011,
No, those especially you can almost always fit the screw from your current pins on... I have one and it works very well.
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
Quote by Musicman48858
No, those especially you can almost always fit the screw from your current pins on... I have one and it works very well.

the Dimarzio strap?
Quote by pedromiles101
D'Addario clip lock straps.
Schecter Blackjack SLS C-1 Active
Schecter Damien w/ Seymour Duncan Distortions
Peavey 6505+ 112
Blackstar HT-1RC
Visual Sound Double Trouble
Line 6 M-5
if I were to get the Dimarzio strap, would i have to use the screws that it comes with? or could I use the ones in my PRS?
Quote by pedromiles101
Quote by Atax1a

So cheap. So useful.

+1 these have been on my guitar for a year and theres been no problem at all. cost like 1$ and 10 seconds. no drilling at all
Quote by RockRoots42

I have one of these straps, but I'm looking to get something different. The plastic locks wear out after while, and I don't really trust it holding up my guitar any longer. Also, it'll eventually cut into the body of your guitar leaving scratches.
Quote by Lil Macker
I voted 9, cause I would only let my mum give me a handjob...

Quote by brennsy
SathiaSun for president

Un-Banned! Boy, does it feel great to be back.
Join the Bear Grylls Foundation group!
DiMarzio clip-lock strap. Strap lock and strap, all in one. Best strap/strap lock ever in my opinion.

Quote by randomhero93
if I were to get the Dimarzio strap, would i have to use the screws that it comes with? or could I use the ones in my PRS?

I used the standard screws from my Peavey bass on one of mine, but I'd recommend using the ones with the strap. There are 2 sets of screws with the strap, thinner ones and thicker ones. Just find the ones that best match your PRS's screws. I have these installed on all of my guitars. There is no drilling required, so your guitar won't get ruined what so ever. If you're worried about the strap decreasing the value or something, you can always take out the strap ends and reinstall your PRS's original strap buttons. You don't have to worry about it falling out either. I've picked up my guitars by the strap ends, so the strap was holding the entire guitar's weight. These things are SOLID!
Ibanez 540R
Ibanez RG1421F Prestige
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG120
Charvel 275DLX
Peavey Grind BXP 6-string Bass
Last edited by TheZombieRitual at Jul 8, 2011,
Quote by TheZombieRitual
DiMarzio clip-lock strap. Strap lock and strap, all in one. Best strap/strap lock ever in my opinion.

I used the standard screws from my Peavey bass on one of mine, but I'd recommend using the ones with the strap. There are 2 sets of screws with the strap, thinner ones and thicker ones. Just find the ones that best match your PRS's screws. I have these installed on all of my guitars. There is no drilling required, so your guitar won't get ruined what so ever. If you're worried about the strap decreasing the value or something, you can always take out the strap ends and reinstall your PRS's original strap buttons. You don't have to worry about it falling out either. I've picked up my guitars by the strap ends, so the strap was holding the entire guitar's weight. These things are SOLID!

I think my decision is made! thank you very much. =] hopefully we'll have a full NGD soon. once I find my camera, and everything...
Quote by pedromiles101
I had a heck of a time installing my Dunlop straplocks on my LP Studio. Gibson used two different sized screws and the screws Dunlop gives you must be made of the softest metal known to man. The hole on the end of the guitar was fine but the one at the neck just about did me in. Once they were on they were perfect but I was sweating bullets the whole time I was installing them. I might try the plastic clips ivan posted on my other guitar without locks. I assume they are good enough for playing at home.
Last edited by philwhite at Jul 8, 2011,
Quote by philwhite
I had a heck of a time installing my Dunlop straplocks on my LP Studio. Gibson used two different sized screws and the screws Dunlop gives you must be made of the softest metal known to man. The hole on the end of the guitar was fine but the one at the neck just about did me in. Once they were on they were perfect but I was sweating bullets the whole time I was installing them. I might try the plastic clips ivan posted on my other guitar without locks. I assume they are good enough for playing at home.

I have Dunlops on my Schecter, and I had to drill my guitar further in to fit them. and when it did, the hole kinda stripped, so I did a poor man mod and gorilla glued the screws in so they're not ever moving. not like i'm ever planning to get rid of my Schecter though. haha
Quote by pedromiles101
I've done it on a G&L, Ibanez, Squier, and a Carvin.
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
Are the grolsh things
1)good enough to hold a les paul
2) easy to take on and off?
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
Anyone not telling you to get the Schallers is doing it wrong.

EDIT: Not really, but those are my top choice. They're a little pricier than some of the other options but they're easy to install and use. They also seem pretty invincible from my experience.
Last edited by Helicopters! at Jul 9, 2011,
I use dunlop and schaller strap locks and the schallers will not need any mods to the hole size.
So I vote Schaller.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate