Hey guys. Since it's summer, I'll put as much effort into guitar as I can. Screw the social life.

When I first started sweeping, I would actually skip 1 note. Take this, for instance.

|-------17h22p17-----
|----18------------18----
|-19------------------19-
|------------------------

Let's say that his pattern continues on. I'd skip the 18th fret on the 2nd string, so I actually wouldn't really be doing any upstrokes. I'd just do the downstroke stuff. It didn't sound bad at all, but I realize this has to change. I, however, wouldn't skip any notes on eg. 5 string sweeps.

Recently I started to learn the thing properly. There's 1 tiny detail that bothers me before I really start drilling it. Let's take the above example again.

|-------17h22p17-----
|----18------------18----
|-19------------------19-

The downstroke part is fine, I do the legato, and then it's an upstroke on the 18th fret, 2nd string. The thing that I was wondering about is, when I get to the 19th fret, do I shift my finger and start doing downstrokes, or do an upstroke on it, and then downstroke the 18th fret and on and on...

Thanks in advance for any help! I hope you understood something.
What I do is, after doing the upstrokes on the 18th fret and 19th fret, I do a downstroke on the 17th fret of the G then hammer on the 19th fret of the G. Doing this gives me a turnaround to start the sweep over again.
Member #60 of the Alter Bridge Fan club - PM Logz to join!

The Altar Boy of Zeppelinism. PM TheHeartBreaker to join.

You never had a mind of your own, never could resist a single pleasure.
from the begining:
19-down, 18-down, 17-down, 22- hamer on, 17-pull off, 18- up, 19-up, (repeating, dont pick 19 twice) 18 down, 17-down, etc.

basically you have it right, upstroke the 19 on the return and then downstroke 18

good luck
Quote by the_white_bunny
the point of life is to die.
and pay taxes.

Quote by /PurpleWhalez/
Blasphemy as severe as this is fucking unforgivable and by bullshito code you must commit sudoku for disgracing famirys honoru.
Last edited by hr113 at Jul 8, 2011,
Let me know if it works for you.

What I do that may help is to not hammer on the 22. Instead, upstroke it, pull-off, then do another upstroke. That's an easy way to be sure that you're moving your hand in that direction already, anyway.
I do the same thing, Geldin. I think he was getting stuck on the turnaround, from upstrokes to downstrokes.

what's about metallica's song leper messiah?

--19p17---------------------17--------------
-------------15--------15----------------
-------------------16-------------------
-------------------------------------
------------------------------------
-------------------------------------

I was starting with upstroke on 19, than pull of to 17 fast, continue with make a fluid non stoping upstroke on 15 and 16, and than go down to 15 and 17. Is that right? I kinda new on sweeping. I practiced it on acoustic, but when I bought electric, there was damn string mutting etc.
Merge, it doesn't really seem to work with me :/, I guess I just got used to doing legato when things like that come. And farmosh, this actually is a part from Towards Dead End.

The turnaround is really the problem, doing it cleanly without picking the (in this case) 3rd string 2 times.

Kimi, I think that's right.
Sorry to hear that what I recommended isn't working for you. You could go onto youtube and look up some instructional videos on sweep picking. That's what I did when I first started, as I was struggling, too.

Well, I'm working on improving the "normal" method, basically just do an upstroke on that 19th fret and then do a turnaround and downstroke on the 18th. I guess it's just practice practice practice. ^^